Flashlight/Knife Shooting Techniques...

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
How about we start a thread with tips on photographing/lighting up objects such as knives, flashlights, etc. This is one area that I've always wanted to improve on, but never seem to get around to it.

Anyone want to do a tutorial?

Regards,
Flavio

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about we start a thread with tips on photographing/lighting up objects such as knives, flashlights, etc. This is one area that I've always wanted to improve on, but never seem to get around to it.

Regards,
Flavio

+1 , Great idea Flavio. I need help with my photography skills.

DoctaDink

Enlightened

Regards,
Flavio
I would be glad to contribute what I can to the subject, though I am far from an expert. Perhaps we can start the tutorial with an assignment:

Post a photo of a knife and/or flashlight taken with natural light only. No flash or artificial lights. Simple background, no props or other other significant distractions.

We can then open them up to critique or suggestions for improvement.

Dean

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm depends on composition or technique.

I cant help with composition. Just look at Combat Tactics magazine, Shelby Chan's pictures (Surefire's photographer) or any other person's pictures that you see and like and try to copy that style.

For lighting, there are many different techniques.

Sardaukar has a simple set up.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cqdoan/3225148752/

I use two different light tents. Light tents are like those collapsible hampers but are made of white fabric. the white fabric, or in Sardaukar's case a shower curtain, helps to diffuse light.

Here is a quick and inexpensive start:

500w work lights. $15-$20 from Homedepot/lowes etc. buy two
Ikea child's igloo tent. $9.99 (big enough for any gear you want to throw in) has white sides.
large piece of butcher paper or white bedsheet.

place the lights on either side of the tent. point them at the tent (the light are outside of the tent)

use the paper or sheet as a backdrop. use safety pins or cut slits and use binder clips or clothespins to hold backdrop.

then work on composition.

take a good look at sardaukar's set up. it is also easy to recreate.

there are tips to use white cardstock or black cardstock to bounce light or block light. trial and error. hope that helps.