Does the quality of iTP = quality of Fenix?

RSnatch

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading at CPF off and on for about 2 years, but I've never posted until now. I have little to offer CPF members when it comes to opinions on flashlights, and I'm always hesitant to post at forums if I can't provide respectable feedback. But here I am...

I don't want to beat the "groomsmen gifts" topic to death, but I searched CPF and noticed that a few new lights have hit the market since the majority of the "groomsmen gifts" threads.

I've planned to buy a Fenix P1D Premium Q5 for my groomsmen, but our wedding budget is quickly shrinking, and the $52 price for each light is too much. I stumbled across the iTP brand, and from all of the reviews, the overall quality seems to be as good as Fenix's. I'm considering the iTP C9R, but I've never heard of the brand until today. One of my groomsmen says "my Streamlight Scorpion is the best!"... will the C9R knock his socks off? Based on what I've read, I think it does. Does the C9R actually output 190 lumens like www.itplight.com claims? I hate it when I buy a 120 lumen-rated light, and a Rock River or an 80 lumen Boker outshines it.

The $39 price of the C9R is obviously better, but I may end up needing to drop to the $25-$30 range. What's the "best" 100+ lumen light in that range? Is the Romisen RC-C3 acceptable? If I understand correctly, it puts out 100 lumen with 1 CR123.

I would appreciate any help.

maxilux

Enlightened
I think the Quality is ok, because it is from Olight, the Design is an other Thing, but you do nothing wrong with iTP.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The $39 price of the C9R is obviously better, but I may end up needing to drop to the $25-$30 range. What's the "best" 100+ lumen light in that range? Is the Romisen RC-C3 acceptable? If I understand correctly, it puts out 100 lumen with 1 CR123.

I would appreciate any help.

My RC-C3 isn't the Q5 version but it is pretty bright. I can imagine the Q5 at around 100 lumens. I'm not overly impressed with it though, as the o-ring gets displaced when I twist it on and off. That's a minor complaint really, but it's also debatebale if CR123 format is the best for gifts, as they're quite expensive and not quite as easy to find as AA's.

Personally I think the RC-G2 II (Q5) in silver/grey make nice gifts for the price, and run off a single AA. I think the Q5 version is only available from shiningbeam.com, but that's the best place to buy anyway for quality control and quicker returns.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
My honest assessment is that the quality of my [one] iTP light does not equal any of my Fenix lights. I received the new AAA A3 EOS single-mode light. It is very bright for its size, and smaller than the Fenix E01 which I received the same day. However, IMHO, they are not the same in build quality. The iTP feels more like a cheap toy than a quality light. Brightness aside, the E01 just feels much more solidly built. The threads on the A3 EOS just don't feel as tough/secure, and I don't get the feeling of confidence I do when holding or operating the E01. Would I recommend the A3 EOS to friends? Heck yes; for $18.50 and its output. Do I think it is the same quality as Fenix? Most assuredly "no."

I realize that you most likely were not looking at the A3 EOS, but it is just one point to add to the pool in helping you make your decision as pertains to your original question, "quality of iTP - quality of Fenix?"

Others' opinions may, and probably will vary. :thumbsup:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
but it's also debatebale if CR123 format is the best for gifts, as they're quite expensive and not quite as easy to find as AA's.

I have to agree with this. Unless the groomsmen are all into lights like we are I would pick something that performs well on a more common batt.

sabre7

Enlightened
Unless the groomsmen are really into flashlights, they may not be the best idea for gifts.

I am now hesitant to give flashlights as gifts (unless it is a 4D cell or larger Maglite) because many people don't appreciate high quality/performance flashlights and often assume their small size means they were cheap items picked up in a dollar store somewhere.

Its a shame that really nice, fairly expensive gift flashlights have wound up forgotten in a junk drawer or glove compartment only to be ruined by a leaky cheap battery. Even when given with lithium batteries, I find the non-flashaholic recipients will remove them to use elsewhere.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with this. Unless the groomsmen are all into lights like we are I would pick something that performs well on a more common batt.
+1.

A 1xAA or 2xAA light would be a better option for a gift light.

Giving CR123A based lights to folks that are not into flashlights will only result in the light being tossed in a drawer.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Ditto every one elses sentiments, go for a 1AA light for the non CPF'er.

I have 18650, 17670, RCR123 based lights and I was very happy EDC'ing my L1T-V2 until my daughter lost it:mecry: If you can still find it, the costco leatherman gift set is an outstanding bargain, $50 flashlight paired with a ~$35 multi-tool for ~$45. The Leatherman LGX-200 is a re-branded L1T-V2, and (FWIW) the Leatherman name has a very good reputation among the general population. So you'll get a lot of Oohs-aahs in that regard too.

The C7T looks like a great one too.

I have no first hand experience with iTP products so I can't comment further on their quality.

Last edited:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the C9r and also the C7 and C8 tubes, and im very happy with the quality of the light. The only thing that i have to compare it too is the Olight T10 with AA tube......both are bright with cr123's and AA batts. I did notice that the Olight gets hot on high since the aluminum is thin and the C9 has thicker walls to dissipate the heat better.

GotDogs

Newly Enlightened
Wow, finally a topic I can chime in on as I am a new HOLIC. I would go with Maglites. Perhaps a set? a 3D or a 4D and a AA or a AAA. Home and keychain. I was once the average joe and could have cared less about output. Bought a few maglights and thought they were the cat's meow. Well made, durable and give allot of light in most practical situations. As engraving goes, any mall will have a Kiosk that sell's engravable items and offers engraving on most anything you bring them. If I was in your Groom's party, I would be stoked if I recieved something that practical with a High COOL FACTOR!!!! Congrats on finding the person you want to share your life with. Now go shed some light!!!! :party:
Good Luck!!
John I.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Another owner here, with C7, C8, and C9 tubes for my single head. On the negative side, the threads don't appear to be anodized on these and the total light output is somewhat lower than some other brands. (See Selfbuilt's reviews for actual lightbox numbers.) On the positive side, the variable output is a nice, easy to use feature that makes it a good value for the money, the light feels very nice in the hand (more so with C7 and C8 tubes than C9 IMO), it looks attractive (to me anyway), it has a very useful low that's great for entering the bedroom without waking the wife, and (unlike an earlier poster) I don't get the feeling of "cheap light" but rather of "nice light but a bit weak on high" when I see/hold/use it.

I agree with others that AA is the better way to go, and the C8 and C7 are much nicer anyway. The C7 has nice proportions and little flat spots on the sides that make me want to keep running my thumb over them. The C8 has really aggressive ribs that feel great.

Other lights at this price and lower that I would advocate as groomsmen gifts:
Maratac AAA/ ITP A3 Eos: ++++ this light is SO nice. They will be impressed.
Romisens: the new model with zoom head Shiningbeam is having modded with Q5, or one of the other Q5s he carries.

lolzertank

Enlightened
Don't even think about giving lithium flashlights to someone who's not a serious user (LEO, hunter, camper, etc) or a CPF'er. Not only are CR123A/Li ion batteries expensive, they're very dangerous compared to alkalines and NiMH batteries. Off-brand CR123As have been known to spontaneously explode, and at the exorbitant prices CR123As are sold for at B&M stores, some people will buy dangerous cells from Ebay.

Wow, finally a topic I can chime in on as I am a new HOLIC. I would go with Maglites. Perhaps a set? a 3D or a 4D and a AA or a AAA. Home and keychain. I was once the average joe and could have cared less about output. Bought a few maglights and thought they were the cat's meow. Well made, durable and give allot of light in most practical situations. As engraving goes, any mall will have a Kiosk that sell's engravable items and offers engraving on most anything you bring them. If I was in your Groom's party, I would be stoked if I recieved something that practical with a High COOL FACTOR!!!! Congrats on finding the person you want to share your life with. Now go shed some light!!!! :party:
Good Luck!!
John I.

:welcome: As a new member on CPF, you'll soon learn there are many flashlights brighter, smaller and more durable than Maglites. Explore the forums, hold on to your wallet and have fun!

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
As a new member on CPF, you'll soon learn there are many flashlights brighter, smaller and more durable than Maglites. Explore the forums, hold on to your wallet and have fun!

Don't mean to stray off topic about Maglites, but maybe GotDogs also realizes that to the general public, Maglites are often regarded as the ultimate, top of the line flashlight. Thats the only reason why I give them as gifts, they seem to be recognized and appreciated more.

Last edited:

GotDogs

Newly Enlightened
Don't even think about giving lithium flashlights to someone who's not a serious user (LEO, hunter, camper, etc) or a CPF'er. Not only are CR123A/Li ion batteries expensive, they're very dangerous compared to alkalines and NiMH batteries. Off-brand CR123As have been known to spontaneously explode, and at the exorbitant prices CR123As are sold for at B&M stores, some people will buy dangerous cells from Ebay.

:welcome: As a new member on CPF, you'll soon learn there are many flashlights brighter, smaller and more durable than Maglites. Explore the forums, hold on to your wallet and have fun!

I have already started my little collection since I have become Enlightened. My suggestion was to the OP with just keeping it simple.
My collection started life 2 months ago: SureFire 6P, G2Z, 2 Olight M20 Premiums Black and OD and 2 Maratacs AAA Stainless, AA Tactical. Who knows where I end up?? lovecpf
John I.

Spence

Enlightened
I've had nearly all of them and am a new owner of the Maratac AAA. For its price $22 alum & $28 SS, it would make a remarkable gift to find its way onto their keychains and appreciated every day. I've also carried a Fenix LD01 SS and given them away. It's a great light but around $50+, a little pricey compared to the Maratac which BTW is excellently built. You've got a difficult choice to make, but I plan on giving the Maratac as gifts to my friends and family, it's a great find.:thumbsup:

GotDogs

Newly Enlightened
Don't mean to stray off topic about Maglites, but maybe GotDogs also realizes that to the general public, Maglites are often regarded as the ultimate, top of the line flashlight. Thats the only reason why I give them as gifts, they seem to be recognized and appreciated more.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!! MagLite is a household name that people still balk at regarding price when they are in the market for a light. The average joe see's them as a premium light.

Thanks,
John lovecpf

RSnatch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the responses.

Actually, I have considered the iTP A3 EOS. Three settings, with one at 80 lumens is very impressive for a AAA light that's 2.6" long. But I'm worried that light might be considered cheap to someone who doesn't realize what it's capable of.

I see your points about the CR123 lights being bad for gifts. One of the groomsmen has the Streamlight Scorpion, and I bought a Surefire G2 about 4 years ago for my brother, who is my best man. They both have complained about the expense of the CR123s, but after I told them Academy carries Streamlight branded CR123 batteries (I don't know who the actual manufacturer is) for $5 per 2. Plus, newer flashlights have a much longer burn time, plus multiple settings, than the outdated G2 & Scorpion. But I think I will take ya'll's advice on that point...I will pick an AA powered light.

I didn't even think about checking in the mall for an engraver. Petsmart could possibly be an option since they engrave dog tags.

Are 14500 (Li-Ion) batteries available anywhere other than online? I've never seen them in stores, but then again, I've never looked. I always buy Energizer Lithium, but I've always figured there's probably another brand that's better and less expensive.

In comparing the AA lights, here are the ones I'm considering…
iTP C7R Cree Q5 and the Romisen RC-G2 II Cree Q5, but I can't find the lumen output for either of these when ran on AA batteries. Do ya'll know? I'm leaning towards the Romisen because based on my understanding of the reviews, the extra money for the iTP isn't worth it.

Also, why does it seem that the Maratac AAA gets more attention than the iTP A3 EOS? The iTP is cheaper, and the specs say that the iTP puts out 80 lumens and the Maratac puts out 62 lumens. Does the perceived quality of the Maratac seem better than the iTP?

Whatever light I choose, I want it to be brighter than my bud's Scorpion. I was really embarrassed when his $35 Scorpion outshined my $100 Surefire 9P a few years ago. At the time, I didn't know the Scorpion was pushing 109 lumens.

Thanks again for all of the help. I don't want to order 6 lights and then wish I had bought a different one.

lolzertank

Enlightened
BINGO!!!!!!!!!! MagLite is a household name that people still balk at regarding price when they are in the market for a light. The average joe see's them as a premium light.

Thanks,
John lovecpf

Ah... Forgot about that. This place has caused me to see them only as good mod hosts. :oops:lovecpf

Anyways, back on topic. I don't own an iTP light, but my Fenix E01 feels like it's nearly indestructable.