Current Rating for 3D Maglite switching assembly

TheFire

Enlightened
Does anyone know what the current rating (or even how much current I can run through it without serious melting) is on the 3D Maglite switching assembly?

Thanks,
TheFire

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least two amps I hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

My guess based on other plastic based switches would be around 10 amp DC. The metal bits can carry more, it is the housing that limits it in this case. 10 A DC is as close as a "standard" as you will see in electronics.

Disclaimer: I warrant to no reliability in my foggy guesses.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Current Rating for 3D Maglite switching assemb

Speaking of melting, you also have to be wary of the limitations of the plastic reflector. I used a configuration that supplied 13 watts to the bulb. It caused some minor bubbling of the reflector after 15 minutes of on time.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the monster 285 Lumen Mag 2C thread, someone said they had talked to someone from Mag and that they had only done continuous testing at up to 2 amps.

As Paul said, the reflector will go first. The switch core would probably give it up next. At what level? Don't know.

Wilkey

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's always possible to get a reflector from the magcharger (alu) and put it into a normal mag. But that will require the hole in the reflector to be enlarged.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i believe i remember the number 2.5a. not sure if it's accurate, it's just sticking out from the foggy recesses of my mind...

i wonder how the mag charger reflector would work with a luxeon....?

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Find a machine shop to clone the plastic parts out of Nylon. It can withstand autoclaving so it should handle the heat from massive current. Teflon may get soft and squishy at high temps.

Sorry, it sounded cool. I will go sit down and rest now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif