ARCMania Mega Micro DD 400 lumens v. RA 170

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody,

I'm a satisfied owner of a RA Clicky 170 but would like an even brighter small light. :devil:

I'm wondering if anybody has made any brightness comparisons between the RA and the ARCMania Mega Micro Diamond Dragon LED 3 mode flashlight? I know that some of you own both and I would be interested in a comparison.

The Mega Micro is supposed to put out 400 lumens but I don't know whether they are through the lens or at the LED, hence my question. I'm interested in a Mega Micro but only if there's a substantial increase in brightness over the RA.

Also, I'm wondering if anybody knows 1) if there is a difference in brightness between the Diamond Dragon and the P7 versions of the Mega and 2) if it's possible to get hold of a P7 version. Lighthound seems to have the DD version in stock but I can't find anybody with a P7.

Cheers

Karl

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had MrGman test my Diamond Dragons and while they do make the watts of power the out the front lumens are not there. You will get more power, but not more lumens.

A P60 Diamond Dragon with a 1.4A driver and running off 2 IMR 18650 cells did 140ish out the front:poof:

A 4C Mag build with a 3~6v driver and running 4 NiMH C cells at 5000mAh each made 295 out the front, but was at 220 ish after 3 minutes in MrGman's sphere. This particular build had 2.6A of current at the tail.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most likely at the led. Even with the Ultra whites the efficiency isn't great compared to a lot of LEDs on the market. On the upside, it is a single die and can handle a lot of power, but I think a lot is being turned into heat.

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
RyanA and bigchelis: Thanks a lot for your replies!:thumbsup: You might have saved me a lot of cash and a huge disappointment. The Mega looks fabulous but if it hasn't got the power it's not for me.

I just have one a last question: Do you think that the P7 version would be worthwhile? (assuming it's possible to get hold of one that is) I must admit that I'm feeling a bit skeptical to drive the P7 with only a CR123.:confused:

Cheers

Karl

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention what the Diamond Dragon is good for....

For some reason the beam is just beyond perfect. It is the ultimate wall hunter:thumbsup:

I even tried it in a smooth P60 reflector, but the beam remain really really nice. If you have a super fancy tiny light that cost a couple hundred dollars then I can see how a really nice beam would be a perfect match, but you have to realistic and satisfied with sub 200 out the front lumens.

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
Dang! Now you've got me thinking again, white walls are indeed tempting targets! :wave: The sad thing is I'm actually serious...:candle:

K

I have both the RA clicky and the Jordan P7 Mega Micro. The Jordan light is brighter by a wide margin, but keep in mind this is a P7. I dont know abut the dragons.

Bightness, however, in my mind, is not the major difference between these lights. The biggest difference is ergonomics, a rather stiff twisty vs. a pretty good clicky. The RA is much easier to operate. It also has a strobe, which he Jordan light does not.

The lows on both lights are very low, but the Jordan is lower. I dont remember whether the RA can be programed lower, but the Jordan cannot. Anyway, if it was lower, you couldnt see it was on.

In terms of powering the P7 with a 123, I am using an AW RCR123. Amp reading at the tail on high is 1.75A. Capacity of the battery is 750 mah. Runtime should be 750 mah / 1.75 = .42 x 60 min = 25.7 min. The amperage is a little over 2C, but not a lot, and if you are concerned about that, you can always move to an IMR battery, but with less runtime. Of course, running the light on medium increases runtime dramatically.

Another consideration for me is the beam shape. I prefer the Jordan light's floodier beam to the RA's narrower, throwy beam. A final consideration might be that the twisty is a stronger switch. In fact, the entire Jordan light is something something of a tank, which I suspect is a large part of its appeal.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an Ultra white at 2amps on the way, I'll let you know how I like it. The new Luxeon K2s might be good to keep an eye on, and of corse the Cree XrGs. Also a luminus sst-50 with a 2.8 amp driver behind an aspheric lens might be produce a nice throwy beam.

Last edited:

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the info guys,:twothumbs

I've PM:d Arcmania to see if he has any P7:s left. I know that there are a lot of new exiting lights coming but sometimes you have to satisfy your urge now. :naughty: The appeal of a floody beam together with a light which is built like a tank is hard to resist. Nevertheless I'm always interested in info on new developments, wouldn't it be boring if you could buy the perfect light right now, what would you do then?

Btw; I also use AW:s batteries and am glad to hear that they will work with the Mega, never had any problems with AW:s stuff.

Cheers

Karl

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ryan,

The K2 I already had MrGman test. It was again a 1.4A driver and in a 6P hosts with IMR 18650's. It did 150ish out the front. :oops:

The SST 50 in a P60 drop-in with a 2.5A driver was built by Nailbender and it tested at 540ish out the front in MrGman built and calibrated IS Sphere (Nailbender has the IS Sphere now). He said it was 4.2v imput wim IMR cell and 6P type UCL bezel. Now, at 2.5A it is too much heat and it drops shortly after, but not as bad or severe as the P7 direct drive P60 drop-ins with 3~4.5A of current.

I like the Idea of an SST 50 or SST 90 with 2..5A and 5A respectively. Each in a Mag 1C hosts and with MG aspheric for throw:eek:

The new Cree XR-G's I have not received samples for testing, but if someone has one send it to MrGman for real out the front numbers.

I've got an Ultra white at 2amps on the way, I'll let you know how I like it. The new Luxeon K2s might be good to keep an eye on, and of corse the Cree XrGs. Also a luminus sst-50 with a 2.8 amp driver behind an aspheric lens might be produce a nice throwy beam.

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ryan,

The K2 I already had MrGman test. It was again a 1.4A driver and in a 6P hosts with IMR 18650's. It did 150ish out the front. :oops:

The SST 50 in a P60 drop-in with a 2.5A driver was built by Nailbender and it tested at 540ish out the front in MrGman built and calibrated IS Sphere (Nailbender has the IS Sphere now). He said it was 4.2v imput wim IMR cell and 6P type UCL bezel. Now, at 2.5A it is too much heat and it drops shortly after, but not as bad or severe as the P7 direct drive P60 drop-ins with 3~4.5A of current.

I like the Idea of an SST 50 or SST 90 with 2..5A and 5A respectively. Each in a Mag 1C hosts and with MG aspheric for throw:eek:

The new Cree XR-G's I have not received samples for testing, but if someone has one send it to MrGman for real out the front numbers.

Shoot, I would have expected more from the K2, I guess I'm not suprised though. Looks like the SST's are where it's at for current-eating monsters right now. mmmm.... sst asphere....Hows the beam on that SST-50 drop in?:whistle:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ryan,

Check out this post, #199

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/228031&page=7

4 Sevens is also relasing a titanuim version of the quark, it will have a XP-G R4. It's about 82 bucks on preorder with the CPF discount.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast