Need help picking tactical flashlight

radioflyer97

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a EDC tactical torch.

preferences:
- Small/medium size (about the size of a large marksalot)
- rechargeable battery (plan to keep it on the charger when not in use)
- 300+ lumens output
- waterproof

Prefer to keep the price under $80 range

Suggestions?

Toaster

Enlightened
Eagletac P20C2 is probably closest to what you're looking for. Although the 300 lumen rating advertised is emitter rating, and not OTF. Some more pics of the light posted here and here.

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
I've never owned a fenix, but they are popular and recommended by many here in the forum. What type of user interface do you prefer?

325addict

Enlightened
Again, I would say: Wolf Eyes Sniper MC-E. 580 blinding Lumens (emitter Lumens of course, so probably around 300 OTF), combined with the right interface (forward clicky and always comes on in highest mode).
They run off a single 18650, and as these have virtually NO self-discharge, there's no need to leave it on the charger. It's just always ready when you need it!

The new ones seem to have 700 Lumens I just saw yesterday....

Timmo.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out the front.

This refers to a more accurate reading of how much light comes 'out' of the light.

Where as emitter or "torch" lumens, is from the emitter itself, therefore not taking into account air, bezel window or any other medium the light travels through.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is "OTF"?

Out the front. Some lumens (or total light output) is lost between the LED and actually coming through the lens. This is caused by reflectors, optics, or lens or a combination.

Some produce 230 emitter lumens but only 200 actually exit the light.

Tactical and PD30 should never go together. Stay away from it.

I would go with the EagleTac already mentioned.

However, it's a brand new light so if you are in the Military or LE I would never choose this light. It hasn't been on the market long enough to know the reliability of the light.

Only choose it if you prefer the characteristics of a "tactical" light and don't plan to actually use the light tactically.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T20C2 is undoubtedly a nice looking light, according to EagleTACs site this unit supports both the standard 2 * CR123a primary format & 18650 rechargeable whereas... the Fenix PD30 specifications only mention Lithium primaries and RCR123s, based purely on operational longevity the T20C2 has it hands down IMHO and has a lower low output (5 Lumens) to boot! :thumbsup:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a EDC tactical torch.

preferences:
- rechargeable battery (plan to keep it on the charger when not in use)
- 300+ lumens output
- waterproof

Prefer to keep the price under $80 range

Suggestions?

Did anyone read what the OP wrote? It's highlighted...

I'd suggest Streamlight's Strion LED.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone read what the OP wrote? It's highlighted...

I'd suggest Streamlight's Strion LED.

Yup sure did... 300+ Lumen output & rechargeable, hence a drop in battery solution definitely meets the 'rechargeable' category/requirement, additionally the Strion LED puts out what 160 Lumen? not even close to the OPs requested specification (even the Dorcy K2 rechargeable puts out more) not to forget the T20C2 is actually waterproof (IPX8) and not just water resistant (IPX4) like the cradle charged LED Strion :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD30 is the opposite of anything tactical, avoid it. And 300 lumens is too much for single-die emitters, although some EagleTac models do approach that output...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Dorcy isn't close to the Strion LED's output, in the real world.

There's no other LED based mini that recharges w/out removing the batteries, that can, "Stay in the cradle."

300 TRUTHFUL lumens in a mini rechargebale package isn't available, for the most part. It's all going to be a compromise.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
The simple thing is that there isn't a light that fits your description.

If you want small, you're going to have to settle for something the battery has to be taken out and put on a charger.

If you want a light that a charger plugs into you're going to have to settle for something larger.

If you want to be able have a small light and be able to put it on a charger or plug the charger into it, you're going to have to settle for less lumens.

Plus, do you plan to use this in a tactical environment? Because if so, there are a few problems with most of the suggestions so far.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Are you looking for a cradle charging light?

Most of those are pretty big.

Also, do you need an actual tactical light, or just one that is bright?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, I would say: Wolf Eyes Sniper MC-E. 580 blinding Lumens (emitter Lumens of course, so probably around 300 OTF), combined with the right interface (forward clicky and always comes on in highest mode).
They run off a single 18650, and as these have virtually NO self-discharge, there's no need to leave it on the charger. It's just always ready when you need it!

The new ones seem to have 700 Lumens I just saw yesterday....

Timmo.

The OP stated that his budget was $80, so suggesting a light that is over double his budget doesn't help. Seriously people, read the requirements!

The P20c2 doesn't take 18650's geez.
Yes it does; It just isn't regulated with them.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Dorcy isn't close to the Strion LED's output, in the real world.

Emitter lumens? OTF Lumens? or Lumens actually reaching the farthest point due to the Dorcy's larger reflector assembly? :thinking:

Additionally, reading ernsanada's review of the Dorcy 220Lm Rechargeable XRE Cree flashlight found HERE he states...

ernsanada said:
I am very surprised at the lux readings I got. It's in the same range of the Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S and the Tiablo A10 R2 I have.

Pretty impressive competitors to be keeping up with no? don't get me wrong I'm not saying the C4 Strion isn't a great flashlight (though it's anti roll head is ugly IMHO) just that Dorcy have excelled with this unit & it's ability to get the job done ;)

There's no other LED based mini that recharges w/out removing the batteries, that can, "Stay in the cradle."

300 TRUTHFUL lumens in a mini rechargebale package isn't available, for the most part. It's all going to be a compromise.

You're 100% correct there will be a need for compromise but going the purely cradle charging option fully negates the water proof requirement, whereas the drop in rechargeable route maintains a flexible battery solution without sacrificing the IPX8 standard :thumbsup:

The P20c2 doesn't take 18650's geez.

Actually according to the specifications listed on the manufacturers site (linking in my original post) it actually will support..

EagleTAC said:
Two Lithium CR123A batteries (also compatible with one or two Li-ion rechargeables)

So there you have it! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

radioflyer97

Newly Enlightened
After researching some of the suggestions i'll broaden the criteria:

preferences:
- rechargeable (drop in rechargable battery or cradle charger)
- ~200 lumens output
- waterproof
- price range $100 (including batteries and charger)