Surefire Titan Bites the dust-EDIT: It was the battery!

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so I blew my dough on a Surefire Titan after my Fenix LD01 died, thinking that the Surefire would be bullet proof. Well, not so much. I keep the Titan on my car keys which has come in handy more than any other light I own. So many times I've been like, I could really use a flashlight right now and then remember there is one in my pocket. Well today I was pulling my keys out of my pocket and the light got hung up and cause me to drop my car keys on the asphalt. Apparently the light hit the ground first because there is a tiny scuff on the flashlight head. Now as I turn the light to full power it goes into some weak strobe mode. I tried removing the battery and replacing it but to no avail. I can't believe I wasted this kind of money on this tiny light only to have it take a dump the first time it hits the ground. So much for my belief in Surefire. I'm betting they won't cover this under warranty since I dropped it.

EDIT: Okay, I take it back. I must have put the same battery back in before (I have a bunch of red Surefire batteries all stacked on top of my gun safe). Just to be sure I tried another one and it is working fine now. So I take all my compaints back, well except for the fact it was a Surefire battery that crapped out so maybe I was partially justified... ha!! :D

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Titan Bites the dust

Okay, so I blew my dough on a Surefire Titan after my Fenix LD01 died, thinking that the Surefire would be bullet proof. Well, not so much. I keep the Titan on my car keys which has come in handy more than any other light I own. So many times I've been like, I could really use a flashlight right now and then remember there is one in my pocket. Well today I was pulling my keys out of my pocket and the light got hung up and cause me to drop my car keys on the asphalt. Apparently the light hit the ground first because there is a tiny scuff on the flashlight head. Now as I turn the light to full power it goes into some weak strobe mode. I tried removing the battery and replacing it but to no avail. I can't believe I wasted this kind of money on this tiny light only to have it take a dump the first time it hits the ground. So much for my belief in Surefire. I'm betting they won't cover this under warranty since I dropped it.

If you drop a diamond on the ground at the perfect angle it will shatter.

I'll be willing to bet 500 US + a new Titan they replace it.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you really take it "back" then you should edit your title since your Titan did not bite the dust just a $1.50 battery.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

your LD01 died?
there should be a 1 year warranty and limited lifetime warranty, what happened to that?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you even tried SF customer service before? If not, then you really should not jump to conclusions. SF has been FANTASTIC about repairing, and in some circumstances, replacing the lights. There was a thread about a guy's brother tossing a 6P up in the air and letting it hit the concrete floor, like 8 times. SF replaced it. I have had M2 bezels shot out by airsoft bbs and they sent me a new one for free. same with tailcaps. replace dont even bother with repair.

For the titan, Imagine they would repair it. which titan do you have? T1A or the original?

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened

Have you even tried SF customer service before? If not, then you really should not jump to conclusions. SF has been FANTASTIC about repairing, and in some circumstances, replacing the lights. There was a thread about a guy's brother tossing a 6P up in the air and letting it hit the concrete floor, like 8 times. SF replaced it. I have had M2 bezels shot out by airsoft bbs and they sent me a new one for free. same with tailcaps. replace dont even bother with repair.

For the titan, Imagine they would repair it. which titan do you have? T1A or the original?

Let's get one thing straight. This ain't my first Surefire. My first Surefire light was a Millenium 500 AR-15 forend I bought in 1998 and that light performed quite well and took some good abuse. Surefire was a great company back then but it is my gut impression that they have grown a bit big for their britches now. My latest impression of them is from contacting their customer service about a product inquiry, not for something I own, and left 3 voicemails and sent 3 emails, all of which went unanswered.

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened

your LD01 died?
there should be a 1 year warranty and limited lifetime warranty, what happened to that?

The twisty is intermittent now. I have tried all the tips on cleaning the threads and the switch still doesnt work. I bought it from 4sevens. I just haven't had a chance to send it back yet.

Flashlight Enthusiast

SF customer service is great...IF you get to talk to someone live. Leaving a message never seems to work, if you have a few minutes in your day, call and hold on for a person, never worth it to leave a message with them it seems.

kwkarth

Enlightened

SF customer service is great...IF you get to talk to someone live. Leaving a message never seems to work, if you have a few minutes in your day, call and hold on for a person, never worth it to leave a message with them it seems.

this seems to be true of most companies I've dealt with lately. It's an epidemic!

xenonk

Enlightened

this seems to be true of most companies I've dealt with lately. It's an epidemic!
A lot of companies seem to be scaling back in this department, so when you don't have the advantage of presence that talking live affords, you get triaged or plain fall through the cracks when the reps repeatedly file for e-mail bankruptcy. :shrug:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This guy basically had a battery failure so lets not take this too far off course.

kwkarth

Enlightened
This guy basically had a battery failure so lets not take this too far off course.

Oh that's right. We weren't talking about customer service at first ... Or were we?

We've already concluded the Surefire was ok, no problem there, but what about their customer service? Better than most, but not perfect, and not as good as it once was.

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

My latest impression of them is from contacting their customer service about a product inquiry, not for something I own, and left 3 voicemails and sent 3 emails, all of which went unanswered.
Really?!?! :confused: Maybe I'm luckier than most because I've contacted Surefire's CS probably 20 times or more in the past 12 months about various things (not all warranty related) and every...single...time I've got right through to an actual person who was more than helpful. :thumbsup: I have zero complaints.

kwkarth

Enlightened
I think the important take home from all of this is that it pays to take the time to call and not rely on email alone. I've experienced great customer service from Surefire, and I've had a bad experience with them also. The bad experience was with a phone call, but so were all the good experiences.

2nd take home, if you happen the catch someone on a bad day, don't give up, call again and persist until they do the right thing.

Last edited:

Super Tico

Newly Enlightened