Doomsday movies...?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it me or are we seeing more doomsday movies as we get closer to the year 2012?

chiphead

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it me or are we seeing more doomsday movies as we get closer to the year 2012?

chiphead

We're seeing more doomsday movies because there has been more time in which to make doomsday movies. For instance, I could say, "We're seeing more and more romantic comedies as we approach 2012 or any other time on the future. It's the same thing.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're seeing more doomsday movies because there has been more time in which to make doomsday movies. For instance, I could say, "We're seeing more and more romantic comedies as we approach 2012 or any other time on the future. It's the same thing.
Good point, but I think I rather see Dr.Strangelove than romatic comdies. I've got a bad feeling about the next few years.

gsxrac

Enlightened

chiphead

I thought it was because of our countries new leader? :laughing:

Juuuuuuust kidding dont wanna :caution: this thread. But yea there has been a lot more than there were in the past. And I dont watch much TV so would somebody mind telling me why 2012 is significant?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

ypsifly

Enlightened
Threads came out when I was ten and it really freaked me out. No other Doomsday movie comes close to portraying the horror of surviving a nuclear IMHO. It is a British made for TV flick. The American made for TV counterpart, The Day After, is like an after school special compared to Threads.

I think more Doomsday movies being made might be a manifestation of our national psyche. We are still experiencing effects from 9/11. Katrina is still fresh in our minds. We have been on the edge of another Great Depression for a while now. Swine Flu.... People are pretty morose right now. Something destructively wiping the slate clean fits right in with a desire for change.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
One that stands out to me was "On the Beach". I remember seeing it as a kid, about the same time we were doing duck-and-cover drills at school.

Geoff

jtr1962

Flashaholic
And I dont watch much TV so would somebody mind telling me why 2012 is significant?
December 21, 2012 is the end of the Mayan calender

While the Mayans were expert astronomers, even predicting solar eclipses to within minutes, I don't see how it's possible for them to know for sure about any cataclysm centuries in advance. Also, it's prophesized that the coming end of times is man-made, which also implies through wise course of action that it can be avoided. I firmly believe nothing in this world is fate. That's a self-defeating way to live.

I'll also add that I've been hearing about the end of the world for decades now. First it was said to be in the 1970s, then the late 1980s, then 1994, then 2000, and now 2012. Somehow the message has lost its impact on me. My guess is on December 22, 2012, we'll all be alive and well, save those passing from natural causes before then, and the world will be pretty much the same, even hopefully a little better than it is today.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
I am still counting on buying Christmas gifts for 2012, and not of a survival theme.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Having grown up with popular post apocalyptic movies (Boy and His Dog, Mad Max, etc), my sense is that movies follow the mood of the country. In this case, two periods of extended economic hardship.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, another movie about devils.

And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him. Luke 8:30

actually, Those are angels. The movie is about how God has given up on mankind (no noah this time) and has sent the angels to exterminate us.

Paul Bettany plays Archangel Michael, who has come to save the current day "Virgin Mary" who presumably is carrying the second coming of the messiah.

Why God would send his send again, into the world, and then send angels to kill everyone is beyond me. But the movie looks fun to watch.

Crenshaw

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually, Those are angels. The movie is about how God has given up on mankind (no noah this time) and has sent the angels to exterminate us.

Paul Bettany plays Archangel Michael, who has come to save the current day "Virgin Mary" who presumably is carrying the second coming of the messiah.

Why God would send his send again, into the world, and then send angels to kill everyone is beyond me. But the movie looks fun to watch.

Crenshaw
Leave it to Hollywood to pervert the Truth.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

chiphead

It might have something to do with seeing more potential doomsday scenarios that are possible with how the world is today. Should I list them?

1. North Korea has nuclear weapons and wants to sell the technology to Iran who wants to destroy Israel. That's the making of World War III and potentially the end of the world as predicted in the book of Revelation. If there is an attack on the U.S., our missle defense system depends on the GPS system. GPS satelites are aging and will become less accurate before failing if funds aren't used to replace aging satelites.

2. The U.S. is in the deepest depression since the Great Depression. Unemployment is higher than expected. The FDIC is running out of money. More banks are going bankrupt as time goes on. Time is about up for people receiving unemployment benefits nationwide. American industries are disappearing faster than ever before. We're still dependent on foreign oil and now we are at the mercy of nations such as China who own too much of our debt. Our economic weakness is taking away our status as a military superpower and dangerous countries are starting to take advantage of it.

3. Too many people in power are concentrating on taking away our rights, increasing their power, and catering to special interests. Not enough of the government cares about the interests and well being of the people anymore. There's no one to trust if there is a disaster.

4. The digital transition has made battery powered T.V.s useless during a blackout. Communications and getting up to date information on a disaster will be harder if the SHTF.

5. Huge hurricanes are becoming more frequent. There's a category 4 about to hit Baha California and run all the way up the coast. Some newscasters have actually stated that they hoped it would make it to L.A. and put out the Station fire. I'm living in between the two in San Diego county. I just hope the two disasters don't cause mudslides too.

6. Fires in California have been worse in the last decade than ever before. Ramona, CA (my home town) has been ground zero for the Cedar and Witch fires, the two biggest in our state's history. Just today, I got a letter in the mail from SDG&E stating that they were going ahead with their plan to preemptively shut off my power during a high fire danger. That means no communications to get information or to call for help (no T.V., no computer with internet, no home phones, no cell phones with cell towers powerless). Water pumps from the water district won't be pumping so no water to drink even to be able to filter, and no water for firefighters to use on the fire (Ramona is the firefighting staging area for all the county's air support). No way to cook, clean, or do laundry. No working nearby gas stations. No local restaurants or grocery stores open so no way to get food or supplies nearby. SDG&E is sending the people that will be blacked out prepaid ATM cards for the inconvenience, but we have to call to activate them and they'll only work if we are to be blacked out (and they won't be able to be activated if I can't call the number with my powerless cordless phone). Oh yah, local ATMs won't work either with the power out.

7. In California, many "non-violent" prisoners are about to be released. Great, just what I need. To be blacked out, evacuated, and robbed while all my valuables are in my car while I'm sleeping at an evacuation shelter and my house looted for what I couldn't take while I'm gone.

8. California is under a legislated drought caused by a single judge that cares more about a 2 inch fish than the people of his state. The state is not only a tinder box ready to go up in flames, but entire crops have been lost or not planted to begin with because farmers didn't have enough water. Prepare for an increase in food prices. At the very least, we'll get the food, probably from China. I hear they make killer baby formula and children's toys.

9. A massive earthquake has been predicted to strike the west coast of the U.S. within the next 30 years.

10. The Aphophis asteroid has some potential to hit earth within the same timeframe.

11. Osama Bin Ladin is still alive and his group of terrorists are still plotting more attacks.

12. The swine flu has become a worldwide pandemic. If it mutates, there is the potential for millions to be killed worldwide. Massachusetts is already trying to pass a bill that would suspend civil rights during a pandemic and basically declare martial law during peace time. It will force people to be decontaminated, vaccinated, and quarantined. If you live here, you may want to move before you are quarantined in your home against your will and not allowed to leave.

Why bother making up a plot for a new movie when there are so many here to choose from? Doomsday movies are much more scary if they have some truth to them that makes them personal.