Surefire 960 Series weaponlights w/ LED module?

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone make an LED drop-in that can be used in the Surefire 960 series weaponlights? Yes, i've used the search function.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...only thing I can think of is a home-made P7 module tower, or you can get an L6 head or an older (very old) KL2 head. (the old M3 head with 19 5mm led's...not sure how efective it would be though...) Hope this helps.

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
I've never seen the lamp assembly in these lights but I have a chance to pick this light up for a very good price.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It is important to be very clear about exactly which WeaponLight model you are referring to. Photos are useful.

The model 960 is a Classic Universal Weaponlight with a Universal Barrel Mount. It features a P90 incandescant Lamp Assembly.

SureFire offer the BP60L kit to replace the incandescant Lamp Assembly and the shock isolated bezel with a standard bezel and P60L LED Lamp Assembly.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hmmm...only thing I can think of is a home-made P7 module tower, or you can get an L6 head or an older (very old) KL2 head. (the old M3 head with 19 5mm led's...not sure how efective it would be though...) Hope this helps.
Just to be clear - the model 960 is not a Millennium Series WeaponLight so this incorrect.

The generic term of a Millennium Universal WeaponLight using the LU10 Lamp Module ("M3" (Z46) bezel) is "M96" although most include the mount reference number "M961 / M962" as well. The whole model number would usually be something like M961XM07 so it's easy to see why people tend to shorten it.
It is not convention to miss off the 'M', nor add a '0' when referring to the M96. Mostly because this results in the model number for a whole different WeaponLight!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to be clear - the model 960 is not a Millennium Series WeaponLight so this incorrect.

The generic term of a Millennium Universal WeaponLight using the LU10 Lamp Module ("M3" (Z46) bezel) is "M96" although most include the mount reference number "M961 / M962" as well. The whole model number would usually be something like M961XM07 so it's easy to see why people tend to shorten it.
It is not convention to miss off the 'M', nor add a '0' when referring to the M96. Mostly because this results in the model number for a whole different WeaponLight!

Please specify, OP...I assumed you were refering to the M96X series, seeing as how this is the only one SF currently markets to the public. Is it OD/grey, or black? Pic's or a link to the light would help. If it is indeed a 960, LED upgrades would be much easier.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Size15's

Flashaholic
M96X series
It is not convention to refer to the M96 'series' with a capital "X".
When using "x" generically refer to the M961 and M962 then it would be a lower case "x" as in M96x.
However, this x is not necessary unless describing what it means as in
M96x
where x =
1 indicates the SureFire M49 Dual Thumbscrew Mount
2 indicates the SureFire M50 ARMS Throw Lever Mount

So when not explain what x means there is no need for it - simply M96 for the family/series name.

Whilst in this context "961/962" makes a little sense in slang terms - without the context (photo) it is unclear and M961/M962 should be used.

Otherwise it indicates 9V Classic WeaponLights rather than M-for-Millennium WeaponLights.
960 has a U04 4" remote tape pressure switch cable, M14 Universal Barrel Mount (0.5 to 0.75 inches diameter).
961 has a U08 8" remote tape pressure switch cable, M16 Barrel Mount (0.5 to 0.9 inches diameter).
962 has a U07 7" remote tape pressure switch cable, M14 Universal Barrel Mount (0.5 to 0.75 inches diameter).

The fact that a particular model is not routinely offered or even ever listed online does not mean it isn't a 'valid' model.
It should be noted that a current 960 is supplied with an XM07 TailCap switch when SureFire radically consolidated a large number of Classic WeaponLight models.

The WeaponLight in the photo is a good-condition (unused?) early version of the Millennium Series Universal WeaponLight model M961C
Where
M96 = Millennium Universal based on MH90 Housing Body
6 = LU10 Lamp Module ("M3" aka Z46 Bezel)
1 = SureFire M49 Dual Thumbscrew Mount
C = SW02 "Charlie" Clickie TailCap

Last edited:

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
The lamp module doesn't quite look like an LU10 to me. Is this an early version?

So back to my original quesion, is there a simple way to make this an LED light?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The lamp module doesn't quite look like an LU10 to me. Is this an early version?
Yes one of the earliest versions.
Here's an even earlier style LU10 Lamp Module Housing Body:
SureFire%20LU10%2064.jpg

Here is another (of course any M3 bezel will fit - there have been many styles)
al-u2h.jpg

And this is the current version of the M962XM07
M962_large.jpg

It's been a strict diet for many years...

So back to my original quesion, is there a simple way to make this an LED light?[/QUOTE]
As mentioned above you could get a KL6 (discontinued) for it:
al-scout2.jpg

An alternative will be SureFire's new LED bezel (also mentioned above) as yet unreleased, specifications subject to change etc etc etc

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can even get one of these (now or in the near future), turn it into a 6V light, and use just about any P60 style LED drop-in (P60L/Malkoff/etc.). Post a WTB in the Market Place, and you can probably get one for around $70. You could actually just get the adapter (I believe there are some currently for alse on the MP???), and just use any C/P series bezel (Like a C2/C3 bezel)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/526303-REG/Surefire_LU60_Lamp_Module_Assembly_LU60.html

Hope this helps, and let us know when ya get it, and post some Pic's!!!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
There should be a sticky or dedicated thread that explains all the compatiblity and part#'s

..with pictures.

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help guys.

So it seems like this is a pretty good deal for $200 with the Surefire mount (double screw) and XM07 click/tape switch and lens cover.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sum up in one thread what I've not yet managed to do in almost a decade and 17,000 posts? :green:

I'll do the leg work in excel, al, if you wouldn't mind QC'ing it? And then I could save it as a JPEG and post a large picture of it in a sticky? I was thinking of doing an X-Y for Bezel-Body and then a "Useable on" chart for tailcap's based on model type, since those aren't quite as extensive as the bezel's on the bodies. DO that for starters (a dry-run), and see how it turns out and then go from there? Lemme know...I already have a color coded chart done up for the filters, and what size bezel the go on based on filter color, as well as "F" and "FM" type filters. What ya think Al/DaFab?

No prob, ubetit...If I had extra duckets sitting around, I'd definitely grab it!

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I already have a color coded chart done up for the filters, and what size bezel the go on based on filter color, as well as "F" and "FM" type filters. What ya think Al/DaFab?
Is that based on the short list I made a up a while back?

Here's a quick guide to SureFire's BeamFilters...

FMx3 IR BeamFilters - Glass (I'm not sure of it's details)
FMx4 Beam Diffusers - POC's 'LSD holographic 20deg diffusion polycarbonate
FMx5 Red BeamFilters - Multi-AR coated tempered Pyrex glass
FMx6 Blue BeamFilters - Multi-AR coated tempered Pyrex glass
FMx7 BeamCovers - Hard Anodised aluminium alloy

FM1x (1.62" diameter) - "M3" Millennium Bezel, 9N, 9AN & KL6.
FM2x (2.5" diameter) - Millennium TurboHead bezel & 'KT' TurboHeads.
FM3x (1.25" diameter) - Standard "6P" bezel (tight on the G2/G3/G2Z).
FM4x (1.36" diameter) - Z32 aka Classic WeaponLight Shock Isolated Bezel.
FM5x (1" diameter) - ScoutLight & E-Series Bezels
FM6x (1.47" diameter) - M2, 8X, 8AX/8NX/L7, KL3/KL5/U2 etc

FM7x for HellFighter (FM73 IR), (FM77 Amber*) & (FM78 Opaque*)
(* It would make sense if these were the other way around, but they're not)

Classic BeamFilters for Taclight (Z32) (1.36" diameter)
F11 - Red
F12 - IR
F13 - Cover
F19 - Blue
F63 - BeamShaper (Medium)
F64 - BeamShaper (Wide)

Classic BeamFilters for 8-Series (& "M2") (1.47" diameter)
F62 - Cover
F66 - Red
F67 - Blue
F68 - Traffic Wand
F69 - IR
F70 - BeamShaper

Classic BeamFilters for 9-Series (& "M3") (1.62" diameter)
F32 - Cover
F33 - BeamShaper (Medium)
F34 - BeamShaper (Wide)
F36 - Red
F37 - Blue
F38 - Traffic Wand
F39 - IR

Classic BeamFilters for standard bezel ("6P") (1.25" diameter)
F16 - IR
F17 - Cover
F23 - BeamShaper (Medium)
F24 - BeamShaper (Wide)
F26 - Red
F27 - Blue
F28 - Traffic Wand

Classic BeamFilters for T-Series Extended Range TurboHeads (3" diameter)
F40 - BeamShaper
F46 - Red
F47 - Blue
F49 - IR