Lost my longtime keychain light! Recommendations?

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I've carried a modified AAA Arc light for years and I've lost it somehow. I'm looking at a replacement and just wanted to gather opinions. I see the Fenix makes a couple of AAA lights. I really want something small, which is why I plan on sticking with AAA lights. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

izaic3

Newly Enlightened
Something to keep in mind, are you looking for something with one mode of output or multiple?

+1 on the E01, it's bright enough for most keychain flashlight scenarios, and if you do lose it, it's not that big of a deal. Some of the tints on these run a bit purple though.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
+1 E01. cheap, reliable, runs for ridiculous amounts of time if needed.
I also hear the Maratac AAA is pretty good but i don't know about reliability.

Last edited:

manoloco

Enlightened
im actually looking at the nitecore ez aa lights, they are much smaller than any other AA lights i have seen and are close to the size of AAA lights, with advantages over AAA in every other aspect than size.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Here are some candidates:

You can read more about them in the cpf review section (pictures links to that) or on my website.

The Fenix LD01 is a very good and powerfull AAA light and the SS version will stand up to any keychain use.

I will also suggest you check Maratac and ITP A3 EOS, they are to new to be included in the above roundup and I have not succeed in getting a Maratac.

Last edited:

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered CR2 based lights? They can be pretty small also, I've got one of the Muyshondt Aeon lights and am very pleased with it on the keychain.
You may also like the size of the Lummi Raw, it uses a 14250 cell and is very small yet capable of 200 Lumens, definitely should consider this too, you can also get them outfitted with trits which is a bonus.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately check out HKJ's reviews!Best post to compare AAA lights! The previously mentioned Nitecore EZ AA or EZ CR2 may also be worth a look as they are relatively small also.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I will also suggest you check Maratac and ITP A3 EOS, they are to new to be included in the above roundup and I have not succeed in getting a Maratac.

My god, are you serious? Your reviews are fantastic, and are greatly appreciated by many of us here on CPF. Next time one pops up on B/S/T, shoot me a PM with your address, and I'll buy it and have it shipped to you. (If you need, post an "I'll take it" and then let them know I'll be paying for it.) There's no reason you should be without this light, and it's the least I can do to thank you. :)

Back on topic, I think the Fenix LD01 SS would make an excellent keychain light. The EO1 is also fine if you're looking for a less expensive, single-mode alternative. Though I haven't personally seen the Maratac, it's gotten great reviews here so far. Finally, if you don't mind going with slightly more expensive alternatives, Modmag's Draco (or its little brother Drake) are phenomenal: they're brighter and smaller than any of the other lights mentioned. That said, they're also more expensive. :)

Finally, you might want to consider the Lummi Wee or the LiteFlux AAA lights. Liteflux lights have a more complicated user interface, but have been well received on CPF.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

thedeske

Enlightened
HKJ's look at AAA is a great gift.

My black LD01 is going strong after months of abuse on the keys. A choice among the many.
Good luck with yours.

762x51

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the Arc AAA on my keyring with a Maratac AAA about 3 weeks ago.

I don't miss the Arc in the least.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I have the Maratac SS, the ITP A3 EOS and I went back to my LD01's. I have the SS and Alum. LDo1"s but I carry the Aluminum the most. I think the Maratac SS and the ITP A3's are great lights but for me the LD01 is just a step above. I bought 12 ITP A3 EOS to give away as xmas presents because they are a great value for the price. But for my pocket EDC I will be carrying my LD01's. Good luck.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I have the Maratac SS, the ITP A3 EOS and I went back to my LD01's. I have the SS and Alum. LDo1"s but I carry the Aluminum the most. I think the Maratac SS and the ITP A3's are great lights but for me the LD01 is just a step above. I bought 12 ITP A3 EOS to give away as xmas presents because they are a great value for the price. But for my pocket EDC I will be carrying my LD01's. Good luck.

Any particular reason you carry the aluminum more? I'm liking the look of the LD01. I see people recommending stainless. What is the consensus here? Any advantage to either metal?

BBBBB

Newly Enlightened
Hi, anyone knows where I can get Maratac AAA that ships to Singapore?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Any particular reason you carry the aluminum more? I'm liking the look of the LD01. I see people recommending stainless. What is the consensus here? Any advantage to either metal?

Al. lighter. Less expensive.

SS prettier.

AAA Quark coming out soon. Buy something cheap and wait.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ's look at AAA is a great gift.

My black LD01 is going strong after months of abuse on the keys. A choice among the many.
Good luck with yours.

+10 on that, i replaced my E01 with a LD01 (black) as i liked the multimodes and i dont usually use it any higher than medium (1st mode) and frequently on low (2nd mode). Its running on a NiMH cell but i do have a 10440 with me if i want to WOW people :D

BUT if i was going to go like camping for a few days or fishing on boat for a coupla days, i'd switch BACK to the E01 for its runtime.

EDIT: just saw the post about AL vs SS, SS is prettier, but AL is lighter, a lot lighter, i dont even feel the LD01 in my pocket on my keychain.