best budget p7 or mce

giggity_giggity

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for the most throw in a budget p7 or mce light. I don't care about the size much, but I would like to get a light that takes 18650 cells. I know mce and p7s are not the best throwers, but i want one with decent throw and decent build quality.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
oo i'm interested too, but for a more floody beam, i'm seriously tempted in getting one as a "high beam" for my bike... and multi-emitter lights seem a tad expensive

seriously, seriously tempted

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
the mg pli mc-e light over at shiningbeam looks very nice. but it is heavier on the flood.

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the M-P7 uses a reflector. The P7 (and likely the MC-E) are not the greatest outdoor
lights, except for illuminating wide near-field areas. One moderate exception to this is
the MTE SSC P7, however, which has an exceptionally deep and wide reflector... effectively
giving the P7 a hot central area and pretty good throw for a quad emitter, while still retaining
quite a bit of broad flood. For the money, the MTE SSC P7 is a great light to have and quite
useful outdoors as well. In flooding a room, however, they're all pretty amazing.

My P7 "Roomsweeper"
MP7_FM3P.jpg

M-P7 business end
P7Goodness.jpg

Malkoff M60
Malkoff_M60_2427.jpg

Malkoff M60F
Malkoff_M60F_2423.jpg

Malkoff P7
Malkoff_P7_2416.jpg

MTE SSC P7
MTE_SSC_P7_2415.jpg

Jet III M - warm emitter/hybrid reflector - just for comparison
Jet_III-M_2414.jpg

As you can see from the beamshots this mte has some decent throw:
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12623

and these cells if you don't have any:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26247

I have similar needs except I prefer flood but I have been looking a lot lately!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff P7 drop-in DD is not the best choice because with a Fivemega hosts 1C it only put out 380ish out the front with a single AW li-on C cell and the small 26mm OP reflector made it almost all flood.

I purchased a almost $200 dollar custom 1D Mag P7 aspheric R2 at 1A with a MG AR coated aspheric lens. It threw like no other and this includes IMHO more throw than a Mac Custom aspheric build owned by a felow CPF member at the San Jose, CA meet. (This Mac Aspheric Mag build made about 92 out the front sorry, but that's all it made)

Anyhow my Nailbender MC-E light 2C throws just as far as my 1D aspheric R2. I don't understand why or know why it throws soooo much, but it has a much tighter hot spot than even the Solarforce L950m P7 as seen in MrGman's video. MrGman 9999 youtube link....

If you want Aspheric R2 like throw, but 600 plus lumens out the front contact Nailbender for a bigchelis 2C Mag build replica. I have never seen a quad emitter throw like this and I have seen the very same Leggion II that supposesidely tested at 742 out the front. No comparison. Did I mention I had the Tiablo A10 to test it against and yet this MC-E quad emiter throws like it if not more.:sssh:

BigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a true budgent MC-E or P7 make sure to get the following..

• Regulated current at 2~2.8A at the LED
  • multi-cell capabilities: 2 or 3 li-on cell capabilities.
  • about the lenght of a 9P or less
  • a 1C or 1D Mag build will offer the best heatsink
  • Purchase AW cell
Budget IMHO in regards to a P7 or MC-E will be $150~200 dollars, but please do not purchase a DD or a DX/KD type unless you know how to change the boards, drivers, and are a capable builder like my buddy Kramer5150 to name a few:twothumbs

giggity_giggity

Newly Enlightened
I guess my idea of budget is under $100. I was hoping that there would be something somewhat well built, with decent throw in my price range.

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $100 and throw with a quad die you should look into a magmod. I almost bought a used 1d p7 mag for $60 a few weeks ago but they are throwers and I need flood

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Try this from DX: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16501.

I have it and it gives a wall of light with good balance between throw and spill. It is by far my brightest light and really lights up my whole back yard--out to 80 feet. It has some good reviews too and, I might add, it's built well. It's the M3-2 "super bright LED." The DX claim is 700 lumens at $38.85. It's a quad die MTE.

IMHO, the only drawback is that it has 8 modes, but it has a last mode memory. The fast strobe is very disorienting too.

Rexlion

Enlightened
For $100 and throw with a quad die you should look into a magmod. I almost bought a used 1d p7 mag for $60 a few weeks ago but they are throwers and I need flood
:huh2: Didn't you know the mag heads adjust from throw to flood? I think you missed a great deal!

+1 on the MG RX-1. For under $65 you'll get a good quad die light with a big enough reflector to get reasonable throw.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to use a P7 or MC-E for throw IMHO from having at least 5 Nailbendr P7 Mag builds the 2D Mag MC-E doubles in throw. I think the MC-E will offer more throw than the P7 in the same reflector.

I would PM Nailbender and ask him about a 2C Mag MC-E build. It will cost you more than $100, but even the Solarforce L950 can't compete in the throw department and the 2C Mag is much smaller in the business end. The fact that it can take 2 IMR C cells is a plus too.

So,
Contact Nailbender and if the price is too much, then any Solarforce MC-E big bezel light will have all the throw you seek. In fact some come with warm tints too.:twothumbs