Torch for a tradie

Langdon04

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone
I have just recently started my first year of my electrical apprenticeship and i am in need of a good torch.
I will be using the torch pretty much every day.
As a first year I will be getting all the crap jobs which includes things like crawling through roofs and under houses :ironic: so I will need a torch which can stand up to some pretty heavy abuse and dirt/dust.
I would also prefer it to run on AA's. My price range is up to 100 AUD or so.
Any suggestions?

Foxx510

Enlightened
Consider a headlamp like the Zebralight H60 or H501 for roof work, to keep your hands free while you work. I was always sticking my minimag in my mouth when I was wiring in roofs, a headlamp would have been great. They come with clips so you can clip it to your overalls if you don't want to look like an extreme outdoor headlamp dude.

Last edited:

Foxx510

Enlightened
Yeah you kinda need both, the headlamp is no good for seeing down the other end of a roof cavity. You need something throwy like the TK20 to follow wires etc.

Metatron

Banned
well, i spend most of my life in roofs or in subfloors, u will need a decent 18650 headlamp and a wolfeyes storm or a dereelight mc-e with extension tube. the rest is twaddle.;)

AusKipper

Enlightened
well, i spend most of my life in roofs or in subfloors, u will need a decent 18650 headlamp and a wolfeyes storm or a dereelight mc-e with extension tube. the rest is twaddle.;)

Are you sure you dont mean "Wolfeyes SuperStorm" ?? :p

I guess he didnt give us a budget, but given that he is a first year apprentice he will probably be making about $6 an hour, so he is probably looking for cheaper suggestions :p

If he is really on a budget, I probably should have mentioned the Fenix E20, its a pretty decent torch, but I really dont like the tint personally (I also dont like all the artifacts once you make it go too floody..)

fiftycalibre

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Tiablo A7 to poke around in peoples roofs. 4 sevens was having a Tiablo sale, so I just had to get one. The bezel is crenelated, which will help me out if any of the home owners turns out to be the next Ivan Milat.

If you are going to be doing actual work while there, I say zebralight. Plenty of flood is very useful when you are doing stuff with your hands. I needed some throw, which is one reason why I went with the A7. I poke my head around inside their roofs to see the state of their insulation to see if they are eligible for a govt rebate on new insulation.

If you can wait a while, its probably cheaper to get it online from overseas, but if you are in a rush there are a few local online retailers.

jankj

Enlightened
To an even better budget, you could probably substitute the handleld with some Romisen or equivalent price range from shiningbeam.com. Build quality is deemed "good enough" by most of those who own one. If you break that, then consider that you've earned yourself a TK20.... Prices start around $20, so you won't go broke.

But do shell up the money for a zebralight H50b! Really brilliant unobtrusive little stroke of genius! Use the handheld for looking into dark places, use the headlamp when you actually crawl in there yourself... nothing is like having your hands free, and the even floody light is perfect for illuminating the work area. Headband + light slips easily into one of your pockets, and is solid enough that you don't need to worry about breaking anything.

(If you like to go camping and the like, you can also send zebralight an email and ask if they have more of the warm white versions of H50b lying around... I just did, and yes, it _*is*_ really good outdoors, and to me personally it is also better indoors. Your mileage may wary)

vudoo

Enlightened
Try ledtorches.com.au for a local supplier of Fenix torches and extremetorches.com.au for the zebralight. I have dealt with both of the guys and they provide a excellant service.

Metatron

Banned
Are you sure you dont mean "Wolfeyes SuperStorm" ?? :p

I guess he didnt give us a budget, but given that he is a first year apprentice he will probably be making about $6 an hour, so he is probably looking for cheaper suggestions :p

If he is really on a budget, I probably should have mentioned the Fenix E20, its a pretty decent torch, but I really dont like the tint personally (I also dont like all the artifacts once you make it go too floody..)
i too wasnt sure of his budget but seeing a torch is a primary tool if ur in dark confined spaces then its a no brainer to get the best, as the tax man pays his bit for it as well. i declare mine every year...:D
AND besides poor people cant afford to not buy the best.:wave:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone
I have just recently started my first year of my electrical apprenticeship and i am in need of a good torch.
I will be using the torch pretty much every day.
As a first year I will be getting all the crap jobs which includes things like crawling through roofs and under houses :ironic: so I will need a torch which can stand up to some pretty heavy abuse and dirt/dust.
I would also prefer it to run on AA's. My price range is up to 100 AUD or so.
Any suggestions?

crawling? i'd strongly suggest a headlamp, Zebralight H501W as opposed to H501 as the H501W has a nicer tint. you can see the beamshots here and check the light out here

then you'd probably need a handheld light, the TK20 is a good call. Together the lights might exceed your budget but not by that much, $59 for the zebralight and $52.93 for the TK20. I'm not too sure about taxes on the lights though.

All the above run on AAs, get some eneloops (enough for 2 loads in each light), a charger and you're good to go.