Is now the right time to update my brace of flashlights? (P2D & L2D Q5)

spoonrobot

Enlightened
About a year ago I purchased a Fenix P2D and L2D, both with Q5 emitters. These lights serve as my EDC combo, I generally carry the P2D daily because of it's small size and switch to the L2D for long-time use since it is loaded with Eneloops. I find both lights wonderfully satisfactory and the AA/CR123A combo works well for me.

My question is this. Being that I have not been actively engaged in the flashlight hobby for much more than a year I have no idea where we are at, so to speak. Is it worth it to upgrade my lights or would it be better to wait? Any new LEDs on the horizon I should be waiting for? Plans for Fenix to update or is there another brand with similar features I should look at?

My idea of an upgrade would be to have similar runtimes but improved brightness. I have looked at the LD20 but do not really find it to be enough of an improvement to upgrade.

Here's what I like about the P2D/L2D:

• Reverse clickies.
  • Ability to turn on the light on high mode or low mode without cycling to that level. I find the UI usable.
  • Size, both lights are what I consider a good size, I would not want to go much larger.
  • Very good brightness and balance between throw/flood.
  • 1xCR123A lights for EDC and the 2xAA for long-time use. I would not like to change battery configurations at this time.

I do not like:

• Strobe and SOS. They are just in the way.

Thank you very much for your time. :)

McJagger

Newly Enlightened
I would wait a while longer. The next generation of LEDs should be out soon, so I guess Fenix should come out with models with new emitters within six months...

ThesaurZA

Newly Enlightened
Your Q5 lights are still adequate and upgrading to an R2 is not going to give much of an improvement. I would wait for the xp-g LEDs to start popping up. They promise significant improvements over your Q5's. That's what I'm doing.

But if you really must get new lights now, have a look at the Quarks. The UI is similar to that of your Fenix lights. But they are also available with the Tactical UI, if you want something different.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tend to agree, not quite time to change yet. I can see interesting new options in terms of form factor and UI, but you're happy with both, so there you go.