S.O.S. and Strobe? Are you kidding me? They annoyingly get in the way.

OutGunned321

Newly Enlightened
I can't believe how polluted the market is with flashlights that improperly squeeze S.O.S. and Strobe into the already limited user interface format that is a flashlight. If I need conveniently fast access to light for whatever reason, I want a flashlight, not a disco that makes even the user disoriented. When I want to illuminate something, I don't want to start signaling S.O.S either.

I don't want my flashlight to play an MP3 music file, to bake me a cake or to do my laundry, I just want to see in the dark.

A user interface that can easily cause inadvertent activation of a flashing mode is very inconvenient and not well thought out at all. Yet it's all too common to see that design mistake in many lights in this market.
I always expect it to get dark but I never expect my flashlight to start strobing or signaling S.O.S. when I don't intend it to.

A user interface that makes you cycle through flashing functions while trying to raise and lower output levels back and forth as needed is not as conveniently fast and easy as it could be.

I was born and raised here in Alaska. Not once in all my outdoor activities have I ever needed a flashlight to have an S.O.S. function. If I actually feel like I might somehow possibly need S.O.S. then I'll have an S.O.S. beacon handy, which are ridiculously inexpensive, lightweight, small, readily available locally, and use common batteries. And whatever my cell phone can't handle, my Personal Locator Beacon can handle better than any flashlight. And anyone doing outdoor activies that could end up in a search-and-rescue situation should have a Personal Locator Beacon which signals emergency services via satellite then uses GPS to show them exactly where you are.

I kicked doors in Baghdad. Not once in all my combat missions did I need a flashlight to have a strobe function. Simply being on the user-end of a very bright (non-strobing) light puts you at an advantage compared to the illuminated and temporarily blinded target. Have you ever seen someone moving quickly while a strobing light is directed towards them? It's dizzying to watch and can confuse the light user just as much as the target. I want to detect and positively identify a threat before I pull the trigger, how is a strobing light going to aid in that? And moving targets are actually harder to hit while a strobing light is directed towards them. Imagine two boxers trying to fight while all the lights are strobing. It would be ridiculous.

When "tactically" (I dislike that word) using a flashlight, you make use of what ambient light is available and only turn it on when needed to clear an area. This means you can be quickly turning the light on, then off, then on again within moments as the situation dictates. If while doing that, your flashlight starts signaling S.O.S. or strobing instead of simply turning on as intended, then there's nothing "tactical" about that flashlight. And I've seen plenty of flashlights that are marketed as such yet fail in the way I've just described.

There are plenty of very good pedestrian safety lights (that blink and have many color options) that are designed to be easily worn on the body and use common and inexpensive batteries. And they actually flash at a more appropriate speed and output for the intended purpose instead of having to blast drivers with 180 lumens of extremely rapid strobing that will drain batteries faster than the former. I was just at a bicycle shop and there was a vast array of affordable dedicated bicycle lights that come with flashing functions and the proper mounts. So why does my flashlight need to slow down my use of it in order to have a strobe function? If I'm going for a late night walk, run or bicycle ride then I'm going to have all the safety lighting I could want even without draining the batteries in my flashlight.

I happen to have one of these new "smart phones". It has an amazing amount of functions for something that fits in your hand and new applications are coming out everyday that add even more functions to it. But the key to it all is that those functions don't get in the way of each other. There are enough controls (i.e. buttons and a touchscreen) on that device to handle the conveniently rapid access and use of all those functions. That is the key. Quit trying to add functions without adding controls.

In the future, I think that the majority of high-end state-of-the-art flashlights will have a selector-ring like the ones on a few flashlights right now. I'm surprised that the concept hasn't been embraced by more already. I understand the financial and design challenges that a selector-ring presents, but it seems like one of the best innovations that the flashlight world has ever seen. Yet it goes overlooked by many.

The surprising prevalence of flashlights with improper U.I.s on the market severely limits the choices of the buyer who is knowledgeable enough to avoid those marketing "features". There are so many lights out there that would be absolutely perfect if it weren't for the placement of strobe and S.O.S. within the U.I. and so few lights that get it right while still meeting your other requirements. I wish the flashlight companies understood this (or at least acted like it if they do).

----------------------------

Update 18OCT09:

After people mentioning certain models and brands in this thread, and after studying reviews by selfbuilt (what an amazing person) here on CPF, I have found the best flashlights for me (and I'm very selective). They have a great U.I. that includes flashing modes, however it's impossible to inadvertently activate them and they don't get in the way of output changing. And they still have all the other specifications that I need in a light.

And it's interesting to note that the company who offers those lights is very active on these forums. I don't think that it's a coincidence that the only company that meets all of my requirements is familiar with this topic on these forums. They actually understand the user part of U.I. Now I wish the word would get out to more manufacturers.

Thank you CPF, you've helped yet another budding flashaholic. :thumbsup:

(I won't mention the company's name here, they're doing great without me advertising for them. I will simply vote for them with my hard earned cash.)

I also now see why some people appreciate strobe and other flashing-functions on their flashlights for certain situations. But even they don't like to accidentally stumble into those functions. It's clear that the majority of the market views extra functions as an asset only when they can't be inadvertently activated or slow down output changing. Those few companies who manage to successfully incorporate flashing-functions without them getting in the way have found the ideal way to reach a broader spectrum of the market.

----------------------------

Update 27OCT09:

My knowledge of flashlights has increased considerably since I joined CPF and started reading all the information that is within this sight. I'd like to thank everyone here for enlightening me.
lovecpf
I have concluded (like so many before me) that this issue is simply resolved by proper User-Interface designs that make everyone happy (some U.I.s are so good that nobody sees them as a compromise either).

If you don't like flashing modes getting in your way then I highly recommend that you look at the manufacturers that are most active on CPF because they know about this issue. Simply ignore the other manufacturers who are ignorant of this issue because they are obviously ignoring you.

I'd like to ask everyone to please keep your posts civil. This thread was created with the hopes to get the message out to more manufacturers about this issue here on this industry influencing forum. If you let this degenerate into a flame-war, then this thread will be closed. Thank you very much. :)

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree completely.

The only light I have that has Strobe and SOS is my Quark AA and that's acceptable only because they designed the UI to allow me to never see those modes unless I want to.

Strobe or SOS on a light with memory is just obnoxious.

--flatline

rudy

Newly Enlightened
I agree wholeheartedly and that's why I love my Surefire L4. Click on, click off. No levels to cycle through. When I need light, I have it. No annoying UI. =)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That's the beauty of JetBeam's IBS interface; since you program the modes, you'll only ever see an SOS or strobe mode if you put one there.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yes I dislike them too:thumbsdow. My least favorite UI is one that you have to go through a strobe to get from hi to low and back again.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search is an awesome function.:thumbsup:
Sadly I expect this will soon be closed.
I can't believe how polluted
this forum would be with
strobe S.O.S.
threads if the mods weren't so on-top of it.

If you think you have a good topic idea, type it into 'search' instead of as a new thread title. In this case, a number of threads come up.

:dedhorse:
Buy something you are happy with

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, if you think Mod's going to close this, so before they do.....

SOS/Strobe/Beacon >>> :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Ok, done. :)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strobe and SOS are nothing but a d**m nuisance unless they are very well hidden in the UI.

OutGunned321

Newly Enlightened
Oh ok, I'm new to flashlight forums so I didn't realize that this has been discussed so much. One would hope that with so much discussion, we would have seen some progress by now. Instead I see Eagletac's newest offerings actually add strobe in a way that could easily cause accidental activation of the strobe instead of simply turning on. Which is sad because they were one of the few companies that didn't bother with those functions. Maybe if those threads weren't closed in this industry influencing forum, we'd have solved this problem by now.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't help but say that I hate the strobe/s.o.s., too.:scowl: Yes, I said hate, and I know what it means. Yes, we don't have to buy lights with these features(curses) but sometimes the form factor, levels, runtime, and whatever else dictate that we have to put up with these to still have the most important needs met. Just my 2 cents before the thread is closed.

bansuri

Enlightened
Buy a surefire(doesn't have em), or Ra, Novatac, and Liteflux allow you to program strobe modes in or out of your lineup. There are others also.
Oh, it'll cost you plenty, but the low lows you can program in will be welcome if you're far north enough to have limited daylight hours.

Last edited:

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Unfortunately leaving this thread open is important. I see the point of adding one more thread to the "anoying strobe/SOS" topic and clogging up the search. But, like OutGunned321 said, if this topic has been discussed endlessly then why does the problem seem to be getting worse. One of the greatest things about the EagleTac "10" series, was the lack of these great features. Unfortunately, we need to keep "beating this dead horse" so the manufacturers get the message.

savumaki

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF O/G.

I like the way you say in a hundred words which can be distilled to one--B.S.

A flashlight is to give light in the dark- "maybe" at two levels. All the rest is tinsel meant to sell them and offer no real use.

Leave them out and concentrate on making the rest better, maybe even think about a side switch, but thats another story.

Once again, welcome.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
im sorry, but that is a very one sided view on the topic you have. there are reasons people want sos and strobe on thier lights, even if you dont want them.

thats why the best answer is a progrmmable user interface that satisfies everyone

Crenshaw

Last edited:

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
When I initially saw the Olight M30, I thought "Great, the strobe has a dedicated strobe button so now I can change modes without activating it. I'll buy it for that reason alone". Then I read the UI description and got disappointed.
I have used strobe, once. I needed in a locked door to a machine room. For some reason, my key didn't work (I have keys to every door on the site). I used the strobe on my P3D to get the attention of a person in the room 40 feet away with his back turned to me. He came and opened the door for me.
I do appreciate that some people like strobe and will use it, so I understand the desire for builders to include it. On the other hand, I am just about at the point where I will only buy single mode flashlights going forward until someone starts using a UI where I can select the mode I want independent from turning on/off. I inadvertently change levels all the time on my current EDC (It's new so I'm still getting used to it and with the memory function I never know where I'm starting from). The manufacturers figure they will sell more lights by including strobe since some users won't even consider a light without it.
I wish someone would build a small P1D sized, momentary switch operated P7/MC-E/SST-50 Strobe only light for LEOs and strobaholics so all the other manufacturers can go back to selling lights without it.

Tom

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you own a light that forces you to cycle through strobe, you have one crappy light. Most quality lights put it at the end of the UI, so you never have to see it unless you intend to.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Having to cycle through it doesn't really seem to be a problem anymore. While I've never needed either SOS or strobe I don't mind having them available.

Geoff

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
A few times I eliminated consideration of buy lights because of the stobe, althugh with some lights I buy it despite stobe. I'ts a gimmick and nuisance most of the time. I find multiple levels useful at times, if it's fast and easy -- strobe never.

Besides, if there is decent momentary switch on a flashlight I can pretty get strobe by just turning it on and off -- AND even signal in code. Maybe that's is why these things started out being called FLASHlights -- because you could flash them if you wanted. Or maybe because they had bad contacts and flashed in an annoying way -- like a strobe. (Maybe the British had lights with more reliable contacts so they could call them torches.) I can't even set the rate so I use it as a timing light -- which could be useful.

Yeah -- I dislike stobe and SOS and avoid buying lights with it.

batmanacw

Enlightened
I have many Fenix lights and have no issues what so ever with the strobe function. I am usually using the light in the low range so the strobe is completely impossible to activate. Scrolling through the functions is cake and happens in fractions of a second.

Turning the light on it high without seeing the strobe is just as easy as breathing.

What is the big deal?

The RA clicky can be programmed so you will never have to worry about strobing and you can turn it on to whatever light level you choose.

Seems like a lot of whining with an easy answer. Buy lights without them.