10 foot hot spot from 80 feet?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
id like a light that THROWS a "perfect as possible' 'spill free' hot spot, of about 10 feet in diameter from about 80 feet away.

like this

2lut028.jpg

anyone know of any lights that can do this?

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I would recommend the Task Force 2C 150 lumen LED flashlight from Lowe's. It uses an optic instead of a reflector, which gives it a very tight, perfectly round spot that throws incredibly far. Its spill isn't very bright and won't even be noticeable on objects at a distance.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a P7 m*g, is it as easy as just buying an aspheric lens?

or is there more to it then that?

link?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just returned from looking for my Task Force, but I could not locate:confused: it for exact beam divergent measurements. However I can tell you that it's beam is no more then 7.2 degrees "10 foot hotspot at 80 feet" It is a simple cheap thrower made better with a few mods:thumbsup:. It however has a beam profile larger than that of a Maglite on max focus. While the Task Force "and Maglite" have tight beams, you can get much tighter ones. A stock Tiablo A9 for example.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast

link?

Oh sorry didn't see your last post when I posted. As for as a P7 using an aspheric lens. It's beam will be much larger then if it used a single die emitter "about 5-6 degrees", however it will still throw farther then stock. Also if you have a decently driven Maglite P7 the Task Force won't impress you:shakehead.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
If you are just looking for an LED Light with the most throw, then I recommend you get the Stanley 5W LED spotlight $40 from Walmart. That light has over twice the throw of the Task Force, and I know of no non-aspheric LED flashlights at any price that could out throw it. Its beam is very tight and throws 300+ yards. Plus, it is very small and compact, and has decent runtime and great regulation.

Juggernaut, thank you for posting that information about the Task Force's beam angle; it is indeed very tight. :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
So you want a spot circle with NO flood out to the sides. I can't think of any light that does what you are looking for. First of all you are going to need a decently tight focused aspheric for a 10 foot spot at 80 feet distance. The problem you are going to have is that most are based off the XRE, which has a square shaped die and therefore will not get you a tight round spot like that.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
+1 to everything kramer5150 stated, he is exactly right. I think the only kind of light that is going to give you the performance you are looking for is one with an optic, which would include aspherics if you are willing to have a light with a square beam.

How far do you actually need this light to throw? How many lumens minimum? I still highly recommend the Task Force 150 lumen.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is if he is simply wanting a flashlight's "beam" to have the characteristics he is looking far then the Task Force would be fine "nice tight long reaching beam, that is easy to see in the night sky:thumbsup:". However if he wants this beam characteristic because he wants max throw then the Task Force won't due. If his Mag P7 is as focused as my Electro Lumens EDC-P7 "Which I would really assume so, with such a large reflector:ohgeez:". Then his P7 will out throw the Task Force. My EDC-P7 has almost the exact throw as My Task Force. However mine is upgraded with a DD 18650 for more output. So while a Task Force is a great entry throwe:twothumbsr, against a super power wall of light P7 it has no chance:mecry:. However the Stanly may beat out the P7, I would bet at least "I have no experience with it:shrug:.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Great point Juggernaut, and those are my thoughts as well. The Task Force will definitely be the best for giving him the beam profile that he wants, but it simply won't come near the power of some throwers. If he is looking for the longest throwing light possible for brightly illuminating objects at great distances, then the Task Force will not be powerful enough.

Regarding the Stanley LED spotlight, it should be directly comparable with some of the best know throwers such as the Dereelight DBS R2, Tiablo A10, Sunlight Eagle 8W, Jetbeam Raptor RRT-1, etc. I don't mean to say it will necessarily outperform any of them, I am just trying to give a general idea of its power class. I would say it is on ordinance with most 1 million candlepower halogen spotlights in terms of throw. A Tiablo A9 with an aspheric head upgrade should easily out throw all of these lights, however.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there is one light that I know of that has a beam just like that. This one.:poke:

hmmmmm

$400

or

the task force for $30 :thinking:

my spear clone could throw light a long way, but not the perfect circle.

im only playing with the idea, its very cool seeing a beam like that.:thumbsup:

adyscp.jpg

pretty :)

Last edited:

Norbert815

Newly Enlightened
If you are just looking for an LED Light with the most throw, then I recommend you get the Stanley 5W LED spotlight $40 from Walmart.

+1 for this recommendation. When I go camping this is the only light you need (just kidding, you need them all!!). But it is almost as bright as the Stanley 1 Million candle power light. Plus, for $40 you can't go wrong. I just spent way more (happily:)) on a tactical light for my sidearm, and clearly this is a beast in comparison when looking at the throw.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmmm

$400

or

the task force for $30 :thinking:

While the Arc Mania X6 Ostar cost $400 it is one of my dream lights:thumbsup: and if I had that money floating around I would buy one:twothumbs. However it has as perfect a round throwing beam as you will find. Also you have to understand the Task Force is rated at about 6,500 Lux, so there would be a huge difference in throw. That is the reason I don't believe you would be impressed with it next to your Mg P7, since EL's Mag P7 produces like 13,000 Lux. However if beam shape is not a problem the Tiablo A9 will produce a staggering 66,000 Lux:thumbsup:. However if you had the money for the X6 Ostar you might as well buy a DEFT, which is like "Saabluster will have to chime in" about 123,000-160,000 Lux:eek::naughty:! Also your Spear clone should out throw the Task Force by a good margin "around 15,000-22,000 Lux."

Fulgeo

Enlightened

link?

In a word yes. All you need is an aspherical lens. You can get this one for under $5.00 and it will work great. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/242050

Now be aware that if you focus it too much it will cleanly project the square die of the emitter out the front. Most people dislike this effect with the P7 since it contains 4 emitters and you get a big "+" in the center of the focused beam. For this effect you really want a single die emitter. But if you back it a bit out of focus with your P7 and use a MOP reflector you will get the desired effect you are looking for. Reminds me of a stage spot light. The lens mention above is so inexpensive its worth just having imo. On a night with high humidity its fun to play with lenses because you can see exactly what's on going with the beam. With one of my P7 Mag builds I used a MOP reflector and a 300mm PCX lens from Surplus Shed to clean up the beam and make it throw better, but for the beam profile you are looking for you will need a 33mm - 70mm aspherical lens. Happy mods!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the Arc Mania X6 Ostar cost $400 it is one of my dream lights:thumbsup: and if I had that money floating around I would buy one:twothumbs. However it has as perfect a round throwing beam as you will find. Also you have to understand the Task Force is rated at about 6,500 Lux, so there would be a huge difference in throw. That is the reason I don't believe you would be impressed with it next to your Mg P7, since EL's Mag P7 produces like 13,000 Lux. However if beam shape is not a problem the Tiablo A9 will produce a staggering 66,000 Lux:thumbsup:. However if you had the money for the X6 Ostar you might as well buy a DEFT, which is like "Saabluster will have to chime in" about 123,000-160,000 Lux:eek::naughty:! Also your Spear clone should out throw the Task Force by a good margin "around 15,000-22,000 Lux."

You are right on with the Ostar vs Taskforce. No competition there. I have the Taskforce and it is not impressive to me at all. I think the Ostar does about 50,000lux

Last time I worked out the throw for the DEFT it came in at 156,000lux but I have made changes to the design that make it throw even farther. I need to redo those tests to see what it is now.

Larry237

Newly Enlightened
My Tiablo A9, with Tiablo aspheric lens throws a tight spot with hardly any noticeable spill. It is relatively inexpensive and might fill the bill. The A9 has a pretty tight spot without the lens, but then it has some spill. I like using the A9, without aspheric lens, because it is real easy on your night vision and works pretty well for general use.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a word yes. All you need is an aspherical lens. You can get this one for under $5.00 and it will work great. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/242050

Happy mods!

:twothumbs

thanks for reminding me,

i got one of those lenses about 8 months ago, and its been sitting in a drawer.

for now a perfect *squares* shape will do until i figure out the perfect circle.

im looking forward to darkness outside to see how this throws

eu4w7d.jpg

does all the light come thru the lens or does some get reflected and stay trapped inside?