The Demise of the P1D

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, progress is good, but im gonna miss this little fella. I know theres a bunch of people who like this light as much as i do, so this thread is for all y'all to maybe post stories, or pictures...or something

Im going to buy the last two my local dealer has, as even 4sevens is sold out!
:(

on the plus side...its replacement looks nice

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=202310

Crenshaw

batmanacw

Enlightened
i still keep mine with that leef tube,but the new ones has got nice knurling almost look like amilite cuty.

I really love my P1D, but I think i would like a lower low better. The simpler look suits me just fine as well.

I would also like it to be able to handle RCR123.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I really love my P1D, but I think i would like a lower low better. The simpler look suits me just fine as well.

I would also like it to be able to handle RCR123.

It's the UI I hate. I would prefer Low, Med, High sequence. I'd LOVE it if they were click spots on the bezel like the Nitecore EZ series but I'd settle for L, M, H or even L, H, M. I usually use low for some practical purpose or high to show off or light up a parking lot.

I've never owned a more useful flashlight. I hope mine lasts. I LOVE the beam profile and I hope it isn't different in the new one just to get a measley 10 lumens. What good is an increase of 10 lumens?

Put an XP-G in it and find a way to squeeze out 250 lumens without toasting my hand or the led and you're doing something.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave both my wife and my oldest son a P1D. They both love em. I too am sorry to see it go but I do like the looks of the new one and it's a hair more powerful.

Thanks for the thread Crenshaw, I didn't know they were replacing it.

Bill

Badger_Girl

Newly Enlightened
I don't go anywhere without my P1D. I agree that the UI would be much better with L-M-H, but I can usually get around it. When I want to start in low mode, I just cover the bezel with my hand until I get it in Low.

-BG

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't have any attraction to lights that are not RCR123 compatible, so the P1D never made my list.

Hopefully the PD10 makes the cut.

:whistle:

lightplay22

Enlightened
Is the pd10 a piston drive, a front end twisty, or a rear end twisty? I can't seem to figure it out.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like being negative, but wasn't the P1D the light that introduced the cursed and now far too common 5-mode sequential UI with blinky modes? It seemed like a great new light until I got my hands on it and wanted to go from high to low. STROBE!!!!:poof: :mecry:

Now that is the most common "cheap-light" UI and the one I avoid the most.
The only Fenix lights I have left are the L1T's - old Lux3 and Rebel.

pendentive

Newly Enlightened
I love my P1D !!!

Perfect ultralight camping flashlight - super handy. So tiny I don't set it down anywhere...hence I've never lost it! :D

Glad to see they are releasing a new version....change is good.

I freaked the other day when I couldn't find one for sale (wanted to pick up a few more) - thought they were OOP and I would be SOL.

Dan

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well yes the P1D was one of the first few lights that what i would call the original "simple multiple brightness" ui. Back then i guess no one could think of any other way to implement it.

Some may not like that UI, however I find it makes sense for most needs. One doesnt necesarily need a "tactical" light in every situation, most times, a split second between choosing modes doesnt mean life or death. Thats why i love the P1D, its "simple" in that sense, no unique way of prgramming.

Im sure that the PD01 will probably surpass it somehow, but The P1D will always have a special place with me cos its the light i started with.

I wish this idiot director i was helping out had not lost my P1D +leef combination ( and almost got us arrested) , its just lucky that i have a spare Leef body, and that my local dealer has two left.

I wonder if the new head will still fit the Leef body, that would be pretty awesome.

@hitthespot, no prob :) , the new one looks more powerful, but im being sentimental...:whistle:

the new switching "tail switch" looks flaky to me though (literally, its 3 flakes of metal) I would want to see some reviews before i get it....bad experience with Leaf spring VG body....

Crenshaw

Last edited:

lightplay22

Enlightened
Seems like it would be difficult to twist the tail switch with only one hand, maybe not? I'm looking forward to seeing a review on this light.

Krotchitty

Newly Enlightened
I think the move to a 3 piece design (despite the patent) is a backwards direction. I lost 2 solitaires due to the end cap unscrewing and falling off the keychain.

:sigh:

I really don't understand the need to do this, perhaps there is a benefit that has not come to light yet? Three prongs appear to be a battery muncher but obviously they see a benefit for this "update"... so what is it?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the move to a 3 piece design (despite the patent) is a backwards direction. I lost 2 solitaires due to the end cap unscrewing and falling off the keychain.

:sigh:

I really don't understand the need to do this, perhaps there is a benefit that has not come to light yet? Three prongs appear to be a battery muncher but obviously they see a benefit for this "update"... so what is it?

Not sure I would like to know to but maybe they will release a switch for it sometime soon.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well yes the P1D was one of the first few lights that what i would call the original "simple multiple brightness" ui. Back then i guess no one could think of any other way to implement it.

Some may not like that UI, however I find it makes sense for most needs. One doesnt necesarily need a "tactical" light in every situation, most times, a split second between choosing modes doesnt mean life or death. Thats why i love the P1D, its "simple" in that sense, no unique way of prgramming.

I love my little P1D on the lobster claw clipper. They stopped making it? A shame. I may have to send mine to Modamag for 24K Gold Posterity Coating....meanwhile snagged a few more too!

Last edited:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a shame! The new tail twisty switch looks very difficult for one-handed use because I don't have any more fingers on the back of my hand!

My P1D Q5 goes with me everywhere! I was going to replace it with the new 4sevens limited edition Quark Ti 123 with the XPG R5 as my EDC. Although the new Quark is a absolutely a fantastic piece of workmanship, it's only a little brighter, but not by much, and definitely not enough for me to justify the extra bulk in my pocket. It only took a day to still find a definitive preference for the P1D as my EDC. I wonder if I'm crazy so I show both lights to other people for them to look over and shine around, and then I ask them which they would prefer to carry around. Everyone else says definitely the P1D, so I'm not crazy. The P1D user interface is not appealing, but it's small size and high light output completely make up for it.

I think the optimal user interface for a small twisty would be a single twist to turn it on low, and then just keep turning the same direction to go to medium, then high, then strobe. Not back and forth turning like they are now. Makes no sense why why they do it like this.

In any event, I still haven't found anything I like as much as the P1D for EDC. Anyone have any other suggestions? I don't want anything bigger and I don't mind twisties, and I even don't mind a single output.

Also, any modding suggestions for these? How about those Luxeon K2 TTF emitters?

Last edited: