Best/Brightest Keychain Light?

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
I don't know if this post has been made before, but I am new to this forum so I'm going to ask anyway. What do you guys think is the brightest/best compact LED keychain-able light? Regular krypton bulbs aren't bright enough and don't last very long, and xenon tac lights just dont come that small. I'm looking at the Streamlight Key-mate right now, but I'm wondering if there are any better ones. And also, nothing over $25. Thanks.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc AAA is probably one of the best keychain lights. Photons are also popular. You shold be able to find both for under $25.

reddwarf

Newly Enlightened
Ditto on the Arc aaa,the light will not disappoint,and solidly built.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Hmm, I guess the Arc AAA is the general consensus then. What exactly is the difference between the original and premium (and which one would you recommend?)...It says the Premium gives off a warmer light...which I don't really understand (more yellow?). Any other recommended keychain lights? Thanks.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Hmm, I also found some stuff about a Arc AAA LE...what is this and is this worth it? All the versions are confusing me...

LightChucker

Enlightened
I'm going to offer this: the Streamlight KeyMate is a great little light for the money and size. It is so small and bright that I carry one on my keychain all the time. It's actually smaller than my keys. Furthermore, it can run up to 96 hours. I don't think the Arc AAA can do that. (Of course the light gets dimmer with time, but after waiting to be rescued for 2 days, the KeyMate will still be giving some light, whereas my fancier lights will be long gone.)

I gave a KeyMate to my wife to replace her MiniMag. And catch this, my friends at work liked it so much that I have had to buy and sell 15 of them so far.

Now, having said all that, I have to say that I also carry one of the following in addition to the KeyMate: Arc AAA, Arc LSH-P, SureFire E1e KH1, CMG Ultra, and soon a McLux. So, my response is that, yes the Arc AAA is better than the KeyMate, but then so are any one of these.

Someday, I might forget to pickup one of the bigger lights (or maybe I just won't want the bulk that day), but I will always have my keys and my KeyMate with me.

And the price? You can buy 5 KeyMates for $38 from BrightGuy.com. You can buy a single one for less than $10.00.

That's just how I see it. Your mileage may vary.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Chuck

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Thanks Chuck for the insight but I think I'm going to end up going with the Arc AAA Premium...I didn't realize the Keymate used button batts, I really hate those. Also, I figured out all the different versions so no need for people to respond to my previous 2 posts. Thanks everyone for the help.

gyverpete

Enlightened

paulr

Flashaholic
I guess it depends somewhat on how big a light you're willing to put on your keychain.

A larger light like an Arc LS or Princeton Tec Blast (2aa xenon light) actually works out ok if you have just a few keys. It gives you something nice and solid to hold onto when you pull your keys out of your pocket.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Keymate is cool because it looks like a shrunck down 2D light, is pretty brite to start with and lasts a long time with less light.

But ARC AAA goes everywhere I do in my watch pocket!

And a spare batt for it is in my pager (which is done with a battery LONG before it's dead)

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightest that can still qualify (semi) as a keychain light, and still have huge output is the flat-tailed Arc-LS of old... That guy's small enough to be dangling off of your keychain without you feeling like lumbering around a rock on your pants/belt... Otherwise, an Arc-AAA is the perfect size for being on a keychain, and bright enough for any job it is dished up...

paulr

Flashaholic
I guess this thread shouldn't go without a mention of the Firefly, which will be DSpeck's version of the mini-123 light tvodrd made a month or two ago. There's another thread about the Firefly and pre-orders will supposedly start within a few weeks. It's quite a bit smaller than an Arc LS and is a very nice, thoughtful design.