AA made in the USA quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ztm

Banned
Searched and can't find it. If anyone can help me out I would be grateful.

1. American made and assembled
2. Single AA
3. High 80lum or more for 1.5h or more...Low negotiable
4.Two mode (high-low) preferred but could take multimode
5.forward clicky w/momentary
6. Grippy/knurled with good clip (no polished slippery stuff)

From what I have seen a Quark AA tactical without the extra modes (just high/low) and made in the US would be ideal. Anything like it?

Another idea I would like I have posted a request for in the custom section...a Surefire E2E body and tail made to run on one AA and have an LED head...if anyone can help let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak makes their lights in Arizona

They are going to produce a multiple output tail clicky for their lights pretty soon. That is about all I can think of at this point.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
why only american made...thats flashlight discrimination :laughing:

btw the quarks are made in china designed by an american

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have seen a Quark AA tactical without the extra modes (just high/low) and made in the US would be ideal. Anything like it?

Once you program the tactical Quark, those other modes are pretty much non existent unless you somehow accidentally twist the head high to low 4 times.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single mode you can get an Inova X1.

And a Peak as mentioned above.(good to hear Peak is doing multimode, but it's pretty darned difficult to figure out how to buy anything from them)

Multimode... for some reason American manufacturers can't figure out how to make a 1x AA multimode light yet. M@glite is close with a multimode 2xAA.

Icons are made in China afaik.

ztm

Banned
Thanks for those who replied with info. I spent a lot of time going through the American made thread above and couldnt find "the" light I am looking for.

Honestly high/low only is my preference but I realize I may have to accept multimode to get there.

If the Surefire E2L was AA I would buy it...it's close enough. My past experience shows me I prefer AA due to simplicity with other electronics I own and travel.

It hasn't been long but I have gotten no bites on my other thread about making an E2E with LED or E2L AA powered...is it possible?

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a new mini maglite and have it cut down on a lathe to a 1AA size.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, welcome to CPF ztm.

I'm a big AA fan also. American made AA lights that I have [or had] and like a lot include Peak and Streamlight, but none of them fit all your requirements.

Quote: "It hasnt been long but I have gotten no bites on my other thread about making an E2E with LED or E2L AA powered...is it possible? "

I'm no expert but here's what I've learned hanging out here for a while:
Because of the Vf [Voltage forward] requirements of power LEDs [that's the minimum voltage to get current to flow through the circuit], you would need to boost the voltage of a 1.5v battery [AA] with an additional electronic circuit. That cuts into overall efficiency. Add a multi-mode circuit, and you get another drop in efficiency and/or brightness, not to mention increased cost and less reliability. I guess Surefire doesn't want to go there.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MD2 with a hi/low bezel switch and the M30 drop in of your choice. Stick a aa cell in it and then stick half a cr123 spacer in. On high I get 2 hrs out of a eneloop aa.

ztm

Banned
Thanks LEDthrift....I was hoping some genius modder would be able to make me a light than runs on AA but fits in an E2E or E2L body. I don't expect it to come from Surefire as they are pretty stuck to the 123 battery.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks LEDthrift....I was hoping some genius modder would be able to make me a light than runs on AA but fits in an E2E or E2L body. I don't expect it to come from Surefire as they are pretty stuck to the 123 battery.
I'm sure Milkyspit [genius modder, particularly of Surefires] would be able to make you one, but they aren't commonly made.

ztm

Banned
Malkoff MD2 with a hi/low bezel switch and the M30 drop in of your choice. Stick a aa cell in it and then stick half a cr123 spacer in. On high I get 2 hrs out of a eneloop aa.

Thanks for the reply. I am new at this so bear with me please:

1. How and where do I get a half a cr123 spacer?
2. Are their tail switches forward clickies with momentary?
3. They are out of stock on all m30s...is this the norm?
4. roughly what lumens are you getting on high and low with such a set up?

Thanks.

Found this as well and I like the looks:
http://www.jsburlysflashlights.com/...adbla&cat=flashlights&catstr=HOME:flashlights

....would your plan work with an E series body...this head...whatever drop in is appropriate...and battery spacing? Forgive the new guy naivete.

ETA I finally realized this is same head metarules recommended below.

Last edited:

ztm

Banned
If you want to go the E2e route you could put one of these heads on a E2e body and run the M30 of your choice. The M30 will run down to .9v
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/malkoff-valiant-concepts-vme-head-p-67.html

I love you guys...I feel like a kid with legos ;)

So if I did an E2E body and tail cap...the head you linked to with an m30 in it...and a single AA what else would I need to make the battery fit etc? And any idea what kind of lumens this would get me?

I am overwhelming myself with websites open and have confused my brain so pardon what may seem like obvious questions.

I have answered my own question relating to the m60vs m30 and understand its operating voltage now...sorry about that one.

Last edited:

ztm

Banned
interesting, some people prefers to row against the current

And some of us just don't like Chinese products for a variety of reasons. Deal with it ;) My money my choice.

My neighbor's dog wasn't poisoned by Swiss dog food, I don't know of any babies killed by tainted Brazilian formula, I have never seen Sweden in the news for lead painted toys, and there are not buildings routinely collapsing in Canada due to poor quality construction. Those are things called "clues" about cultural standards of quality. China's is not high enough for me and my choices are as much out of principle as they are out of practicality. You are free to buy from anyplace you like...but you should not worry about where I buy.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure to use american made aa batteries when you find your light :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.