New to CPF - looking for help RE an EDC

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
I'm brand new to CPF and forums in general. Foregive me if I'm doing it wrong:wave:

I'm looking for an EDC that would work best for my needs. I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to the latest flashlight technology or features. I was looking at the Novatac EDC 120p, but notice that many of the reviews are from 2007. I'm curious to know if there are better/updated choices out there. Here's a little background:

I work as an investigator for an insurance company. Earlier this week I was in a burned out building which had no power. I just got in from looking at a vehicle with funky VIN plates. I often find myself in low light or no light. Sometimes I need an area totally lit up. Sometimes I just need enough light to make out a VIN plate through a windshield. I need a light with varying output.

I would like my flashlight to have some self-defense capabilities - not necessarily for striking, but something bright enough to disorient/distract to give me a couple seconds of breathing room.

Some days I go to work in jeans, some days in Dockers, and some days in a suit. I'd like a light that is easy to carry in all modes of dress.

I live in the Great Northwest - so I enjoy hiking in the mountains and forests. I'd like to have some sort of beacon mode in case I do something stupid – and believe me I have. :sssh:

I already have the following lights – so no need to suggest them:

Phoebus Tactical LED Wilderness Kit

SF 6Z

SF E2D Executive Defender – this is an older non-led light with a single mode. It's a little longer than what I want as an EDC. I believe it is 80 lumens. Sometimes that is too bright – but I would like my EDC to be capable of 120 lumens or more.

Insight H2 Arcturus – I like the features of this light, it's just too big for EDC.

Anyway – I was thinking that the Novatac EDC 120p may fit the bill, but I'm not sure if it's "yesterdays" technology... Does anyone else have any ideas given my needs outlined above?

Hopefully I can figure this "thread" thing out.:duh2:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Novatac shortly after they came out, and i still carry it every day, in everything from Cargo Pants to a Suit, in fact i recently (2 weeks ago) bought another one for my wife.
it is a nice short, bright light, but it is fairly fat (about as round as the bezel on your e2d)
i love mine to bits, and would replace it straight away if i lost it, that said, there is many newer lights that are just as good, i know RA have the clicky, fenix has quite a few different models, and there is new models from surefire too, i am sure that someone will be along shortly to give you their opinion, but i think you will be happy with the 120p

oh and Welcome to CPF, we may not have all the answers, but we will help you spend all your money

Last edited:

deranged_coder

Enlightened
:welcome:

The Novatacs and their successors the Ra lights continue to be well regarded here in CPF. I do not think you can go wrong if you choose to go with that.

You may want to try looking into the Quark series of lights from 4sevens. They can go from high output to moonlight mode and have a beacon mode. Something like the Quark 123 could be quite easily pocketed. These lights are also quite highly regarded here on CPF.

Other than that, there are many offerings from LiteFlux, JetBeam, Fenix and NiteCore (to name just a few manufacturers) that you can research. Beware, you will likely find yourself overwhelmed with information in short order. ;)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What kind of batteries would you like to use? What size? What type of beam?

Also look at the Jetbeam, Nitecore, Fenix, Liteflux, iTP, and Eagletac lights.

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the suggestions - yes - the information gets overwhelming.

Gunner12 - I like the length of the Novatac edc 120. Are there lights out there that take AA batteries that are as powerful as the lights that utilize the 123 batteries? I would like a capability of at least 120 lumens. AA would be great due to the availability and cost. However I don't want to sacrifice performance over batteries…

flasherByNight

Enlightened

Gunner12 - I like the length of the Novatac edc 120. Are there lights out there that take AA batteries that are as powerful as the lights that utilize the 123 batteries? I would like a capability of at least 120 lumens. AA would be great due to the availability and cost. However I don't want to sacrifice performance over batteries…

Could go Quark route and stick 14500's in em for the same brightness as the 2 celled versions (or whatever number they are).
Something I'm considering myself.

I've come to the conclusion an EDC should run an easily found cell (AA), I'm debating ditching my Q123 for new QTiAA; Significantly less bright, BUT not with 14500s....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233925

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try Nitecore Defender Infinity. :)
It's brighter on Li-ion.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nitecore Defender Infinity could be a good choice, use the 14500 Li-ion battery for more output. Tight = high, loosen = user programmed low, and there is strobe.

If you want to use a CR123, look at the Nitecore Extreme.

Roberts30

Enlightened
I would recommend the Nitecore Smart PD series lights. They make several different models, you just need to decide what you are really after.. I own a Nitecore EX10 and absolutly love it, 130 lumens high, 5 lumens low.. great for when you get up in the night.. I carry this light everywhere and you hardly even know its there :twothumbs

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
Wow. I got some great advice here:thumbsup: I looked into the Nitecore PD Series and watched a couple Youtube clips. I'm going with the NiteCore SmartPD D10 R2 Edition. AA light that produces 145 lumen. I know it doesn't have a becon, but I really like the ramping feature. My Insight Arcturus has a ramping feature which I like. I saw that the NiteCore SmartPD D10 SP had the strobe feature, but only had 3 output levels - low, medium, high. A greater range of output levels was more important for me than the strobe. I was pricing out the Novatac and had budgeted about $170. If I like this Nitecore enought I may buy another one that takes the 123.

I'm still open for more suggestions. I've got a little more money to play with:party:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i carry the quark123 (non-tactical) with a clip in my pocket every day, i love it, it does take the lithium batteries, but its an excellent performing light, tailstands and puts out more lumens than i need, the moonlight mode will go for 15 days and is a very useful mode in the dark, an excellent choice, and they are on sale at 4sevens website right now.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
then maybe look for something with even more output and runtime as your backup.

one is none, two is one.

if one fails other should work still.

you could get a light that uses same battery type. that way you will atleast have a sparebattery container that actually doubles as flashlight.

maybe getting a sturdy 2AA light like fenix tk20 that is dedicated for those tasks that need really high output.

or one of those quarks.. buy a quark 2aa flashlight and maybe even cr123 body.. you can switch same head and clickypart and buy & use any of the body tubes 1aa/2aa/cr123. (even into 2cr123 or the 18650 body if you use the li-ion 17670 or 18650 battery) just lego them as you like.

so my advice.. spend lil more money and get another flashlight too. as you have plenty left of the 170dollars you could pick several.

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
Wow. I got some great advice here:thumbsup: I looked into the Nitecore PD Series and watched a couple Youtube clips. I'm going with the NiteCore SmartPD D10 R2 Edition. AA light that produces 145 lumen. I know it doesn't have a becon, but I really like the ramping feature. My Insight Arcturus has a ramping feature which I like. I saw that the NiteCore SmartPD D10 SP had the strobe feature, but only had 3 output levels - low, medium, high. A greater range of output levels was more important for me than the strobe. I was pricing out the Novatac and had budgeted about $170. If I like this Nitecore enought I may buy another one that takes the 123.

I'm still open for more suggestions. I've got a little more money to play with:party:

That's the light I was going to suggest because of the narrower form factor. On 14500 cells It's a little brighter than a Novatac 120, very rugged/tough and IMHO it is better suited for pocket carry in suits, dockers, etc...solely because of the AA sized battery form factor.

That being said; if you get a chance to pick up a Novatac 120, you probably wont regret it, they are a real pleasure to use and tough as nails.

Since you already have the D10 you also might consider something a bit bigger but with a hell-of-a-punch like a Jetbeam JET-II Pro I.B.S.

Excellent choice on the D10 :thumbsup:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would highly recommend the RA Clicky, it's a very versatile light and I would be lost withone one!!

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
I've been doing a lot of "wandering" :thinking: from one site to another looking at all of the different suggestions that have been posted. I had no idea there were so many options and choices. "Unenlightened" :candle: as the moderator has appropriately labeled me. The last time I "researched" a light was when I bought my SF ED2 about 4 years ago (it was advertised for 80 lumens of blinding light). I paid $110 for that light. Now I'm seeing lights that put out more lumens with more features (using AA batteries I might add) for 1/2 the cost. What gives? Is the technology getting less expensive to produce, or is there some other reason (like paying for a name)?

If the Nitcore D10 works out I may concider the Nitcore D20 as well. I'd like to mess around with the D10 before deciding on the D20. However the Fenix and Quarks are very appealing as well...I'm screwed. :grin2:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Technology has indeed improved, also name and place of production also has to do with the price. Also things seem to get cheaper the more you produce them.

Run and hide! Or at least avoid the custom's forum :)