River Rock lights with the optics

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three of these (C cell and the 1 and 2 AA) and they are well made lights, but I hate the beam. All it is is a moonbeam with little to no spill. Is there a way to mod these with a reflector, and to get rid of the optic? I can not get the head off on any of them. Just to clarify, these are the greenish ones that were sold at Targets. They are being closed out now. I could not find anything on these with a search. Thank you for any info you can give me!

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
I have a few of the 2xC bought at the clearence prices and was also wondering how we can modify for better performance. Mine are black with a green ring - yours are green? The head unscrews very easily for access to the cree.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few of the 2xC bought at the clearence prices and was also wondering how we can modify for better performance. Mine are black with a green ring - yours are green? The head unscrews very easily for access to the cree.

I built a spacer and sleeve for mine to run 1x18650. Its far brighter, but until I have some time to modify the heat sink I would not run it for more than a few minutes at a time this way.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The all green 2C with the big "fish eye" optic can not be removed, at least not without forcing it. The bezel is swaged on permanently. I was able to get mine off with a strap wrench.

dscn5939j.jpg

dscn5940.jpg

Its a nice area flood light with the optic removed.
dscn5942.jpg

I was just playing around with it and was able to take it apart further. None of what I have done here is reversible though... it won't go back together. Every aspect of this light is just press-fit together (for force ably swaged as I mentioned earlier).
dscn5946.jpg

dscn5944y.jpg

dscn5947k.jpg

The small 1AA however can be heated with a heat gun and with a bench vise and strap wrench I was able to get it off. Its hardly worth the effort though, for ~$15-20 you can get an Inova X1-V4, Microstram, E01 or ITP-A3 and they will better the RR-1AA in some way or another.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, and the black one is the superior light, for sure. I guess I will just have to live with my "moonbeam" lights! There must be a practical reason why these lights are designed like this, but I can not really think of it. :thinking: I put some tape over the end of one, and it got rid of the beam, but it also got rid of too much light. Some sort of diffuser on the end of it may do the trick.

Tremendo

Enlightened
I've got a 2xAAZ River Rock from Target a couple years ago, and with the optic, it makes it like a weak spotlight. I'm still waiting for the correct moment to us eit. It's not too bright, but noticeable that it's a spotlight, even in a well lit room. Might be good for kid's singing, home karaoke, etc.

pmoore

Newly Enlightened
Some sort of diffuser on the end of it may do the trick.

That head looks about the same size as the Task Force and the AAP 2C's. A good cheap diffuser is the cap off a Gatoraid G2. May have to trim the threads on the inside a little, but it snaps right on and will light the entire room.

Paul