Fenix MC10 battery getting hot???

Narski18

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to know if it is normal for the battery in the Fenix MC10 to heat up when used for extended periods of time, I had the light on for about 15min with a standard Energizer AA and it got very very warm almost hot. Is this something I should be concerned about, or does it just happen because of how quickly the battery is being used up??

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to know if it is normal for the battery in the Fenix MC10 to heat up when used for extended periods of time, I had the light on for about 15min with a standard Energizer AA and it got very very warm almost hot. Is this something I should be concerned about, or does it just happen because of how quickly the battery is being used up??

Not positive, but this sounds pretty normal to me as long as it is not getting REALLY hot. This is both a small light and a single cell light, so it is trying to get a lot of juice out of that one battery and at the same time there is less body for that heat to travel through. It doesn't sound like a dangerous amount of heat though, but definitely be aware of leaving your light on a surface on high for too long. In your hand is one thing because your hand can absorb the heat but just sitting around might be more dangerous.

HKJ

Flashaholic

The light is draining a lot of current from the battery (About 2.3A), when running on max. it is best to use NiMH

Isn't the body plastic?

The outside is plastic, the battery is in a metal tube, that is covered with plastic.

MsPhotoBug

Newly Enlightened
I've experienced the same rapid heating of the body tube when on for just a few minutes. The aluminium head remains surprisingly cool however. Is it that the plastic body is acting as an insulator and retaining the heat? My fenix ld10 and e20 do not heat up like the mc10 even with prolonged use.