The next big thing in cell phones

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is going to be cell phone watches.

LG is doing it. http://lgwatchphone.com/

I have been looking for one for awhile, and finally found one that is actually a good looking watch

chinavasion-CVSL-M49-side11.jpg

here is a link to the exact model i bought.

But what does everyone think about this, and am i right in thinking this will be a major trend...since EVERY Boy watched the first mission impossible/jamesbond/batman/etc and wished he had one like that?

Crenshaw

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My biggest concern would be battery life.

2.5 hours talk time isn't much, and it'll be a whole lot less if you're using the bluetooth headset.

Otherwise, I very nearly just bought one myself!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, this is gonna be a great way to preserve your virginity. as no woman will want anything to do with a cellphone watch

actually i disagree. If it fits in like a normal watch, and looks nice, why not? they might not even know its there.
I actually didnt see the talk time. doh....

but I think ill be keeping the spare battery on me then...

I think for me it will just be a great talking point among, well, anyone.....

anyway its a lot less geeky and a lot more practical then LED binary watches...

Crenshaw

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
No internet browser = not a viable phone.

The e-mail feature is a nice touch, but I think the only way to make this design remotely successful would be a GPS function..

This would have been a huge success years ago prior to the iPhone, but now even full-featured phones aren't taken seriously unless they're on par with iPhone/Blackberry functionality.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would have been a huge success years ago prior to the iPhone, but now even full-featured phones aren't taken seriously unless they're on par with iPhone/Blackberry functionality.

Taken seriously by whom?

I "take seriously" the cost of having to sign up for a $30/mo. data plan in addition to a cell phone plan. No thanks.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! The cops can't give me a ticket for talking on a cell phone anymore! What cell phone officer?

jahxman

Enlightened
I don't wear a watch because whatever is attached to the ends of my arms tends to get dented, scratched, mutilated, demagnetized and otherwise abused. Somehow my hands themselves are fine, only a few broken fingers :D

But something like a phone, especially one as large as this looks, wouldn't last a week on my wrist.

I guess you could have fun pretending to be Secret Service talking into your sleeve....

But I doubt this will be the "next big thing" and not just because of my own personal preference and watch abuse. I think there is still too much geek stigma attached to any device worn on the wrist that is not just a watch. Other than **** Tracy fans, it won't have a much wider market.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the cell phone/watch is a great idea. Easy to get to, won't fall and break. If they design it so you can carry a spare battery and easily swap it in, one of the main limitations of the design would be eliminated.

...since EVERY Boy watched the first mission impossible/jamesbond/batman/etc and wished he had one like that?
**** Tracy pretty much beat them to it by 25 years.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
**** Tracy pretty much beat them to it by 25 years.

ahhh....not my time...but i conceed...and the point still stands that as a little boy, im sure more people then me spent my time in the playground talking into my watch so my friends could help me ambush an imaginary badguy.

besides I have my Nokia tablet to surf the net, and my friend with an unlimited 3G plan...:eek:

I guess im just geeky at heart. Which would explain why i would love to hook up that bluetooth projection keyboard to my internet tablet just for laughs....

Crenshaw

koubilaihan

Newly Enlightened
On the good side it is the first watch-cellphone that is decent looking and not embarassing as previews models.

On the bad side it is still pretty geeky to own one...

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
im late 20s (supposedly more geeky compared with those 30s or 40s) but i found mechanical wrist watch much more appealing :eek:

btw im using a blackberry

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Screens look a bit too small for accessing the internet. :huh:

Where's the QWERTY keyboard? :whistle:

Illum

Flashaholic
My biggest concern would be battery life.

2.5 hours talk time isn't much, and it'll be a whole lot less if you're using the bluetooth headset.

Otherwise, I very nearly just bought one myself!

unless RTGs have been miniaturized, I'd expect it to be rechargeable at minimum, if it has solar charging capability you might want to consider packing on a xenon incandescent and give it a jolt once awhile during lengthy conversations:nana:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahhh....not my time...but i conceed...and the point still stands that as a little boy, im sure more people then me spent my time in the playground talking into my watch so my friends could help me ambush an imaginary badguy.

So your point is, little boys enjoy pretending they can talk into their watch, so that means grown ups will want to play little boy games? :p

I'm not a little boy anymore and I have no desire to talk into my watch. :) I just want a newer iPhone with a more powerful CPU, more battery life, better camera, etc.

daimleramg

Banned
What I want my cellphone to do is act like my ATM/Credit Card(drivers licence).

This is how it would work, when you line up to pay for something instead of having a card you swipe and then entering a PIN you would turn on your bluetooth that sends a signal to the merchants credit card machine to identify which account will be paying from for the goods you have then the machine would ask for a PIN, the same PIN that is already active on your credit card. This could also double up as ID like your drivers licence and or health card. So when a cop pulls you over he would turn on his bluetooth within his cop car and you would connect your phone to his car so he can pull up your drivers licence and or insurance.
This way there is no need for wallets because you do not need cards or money. This has already been adopted in Finland, but the only thing you can pay for is the bus transit lines with your phone through bluetooth.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a great gadget! To those who say it's too geeky, how do you think most of us already look with all the flashlights we carry around? This watch doesn't look any more geeky than most other watches I've seen.

Imagine what people would have thought of this watch/cellphone back when cellphones were just coming into mainstream use! It's just one step closer to electronic gadgets that are implanted into the body.