Micro Illuminator What a POWERFUL, TINY light!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my Lambda/Arc Mania Micro Illuminator, and I have to say that this is just one amazing, tiny light!

My Micro Illuminator is proudly attached to my keychain, sadly replacing my ARC AAA. Matter of fact, my ONLY complaint is that the Micro Illuminator does not have the form factor of an ARC AAA. While it is only "just a little bit bigger" than an ARC AAA, that "Little Bit" is a lot, when you are talking about pocket room or keychain room, but for a flashoholic, it is a worthwile trade.

It has a true beam, followed by a very nice, bright, even secondary ring of light. AND THE COLOR, is pure white, and it is very bright too!

It is amazing that one can have a light that is this bright, and this tiny!

I have resisted the urg to unscrew the head, as Lambda/Arc Mania have advised. Actually, they have a whole list of things to do and to NOT do on their Micro Illuminator WEB SITE. I am actually thinking of putting a drop of super glue or maybe a drop of "goop" glue to hold the bezel in place, so it does not twist and either come off, or apply too much pressure to the inside workings.

If you have a need to see what it looks like inside, Lambda/ArcMania's web page shows all the inner workings.

I was one of the lucky few to have a Micro Illuminator Prototype, and I experienced the flickering and having the head not seated properly against the battery, so, as much as I want to, I will NOT be unscrewing the head any time soon! (Probably NEVER!) Now, just to be clear, my production Micro Illuminator is ROCK SOLID! No flickering, no blinking, just constant light, and that is just what you would expect.

Now, to be fair, this is not the absolutely brightest 1 watt Luxeon Star that I own, but GOOD GOSH!! It's Power Supply is a single AAA battery! It's almost like saying that my bicycle does not go QUITE as fast as a Harley!

If the ARC AAA and the Photon etc, lights are Tiny Lights that are bright, the Micro Illuminator is a BRIGHT light that happens to be tiny! The Micro Illuminator uses a 1 watt Luxeon Star as it's light source, which, as everyone here knows, is many many times brighter than any 5mm Nichia LED could ever be.

A bargain at 70.00, this light is not for everybody. BUT, If you are a flashoholic, you are going to want one of these lights. And after all, we flashoholics have a reputation to keep up. When you are in a crowd, and someone asks for a flashlight, and then sees you, they are expecting something special! Something beyond the usual flashlight. Something BRIGHT!

And the Flat Mineral Crystal to replace the plastic is the piece de resistance! It won't get scratched up in your pocket.

Thanks to Lambda and ArcMania for taking the time to create this little piece of perfection, and thanks for spending the extra time and effort and resources to do it correctly!

I am very proud of this light.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, the pics on the MicroIlluminator site make it look really big ... there's no "normal size" flashlight there for context. Can I see a pic of an Arc AAA and Micro Illuminator side-by-side somewhere? Thanks!

Joe

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
See Fuja's web site http://fuja.s22.xrea.com/review/mi2/index.html he has pictures comparing size and beamshots.
Translation of his web site can be seen using Babel Fish Translation Very nice review /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Fuja's picture showing the relative sizes various lights to the Micro Illuminator:

size2.jpg

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Talmadge said:
Funny, the pics on the MicroIlluminator site make it look really big ... there's no "normal size" flashlight there for context. Can I see a pic of an Arc AAA and Micro Illuminator side-by-side somewhere? Thanks!

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

860-0335-0.jpg

From the Brinkmann Web Page

That is a AAA sized battery!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know weather to put this in LED, Reviews, or Homemade catagory, so I put it here.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Micro Illuminator What a POWERFUL, TINY light

Bud,
Thanks for the kudos for the Micro, I am sending in my money order tomorrow as lambda emailed me to send him the money. Really glad to jump on the list and snag that perfect EDC light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Should be here around the 10th of July /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
I will be giving Arc AAAs for Christmas, hope my friends and family don't bring the Arc to a Lambda Micro fight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
BuddTX,

Ok, ya made me drool. A bit. How does it compare size, weight and output-wise to an Arc LS?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a keychain light that uses 1 AAA battery. The ARC LS is a much more robust and larger light (still hand held, but not keychain size) that uses a 123A battery.

If I could CHOOSE to have only one light in a situation, it would be the ARC LS.

The beauty of the Micro Illuminator is that it is keychain sized, and sets a new standard for a keychain light for the amount of brightness that it puts out, for it's size.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
BuddTX,

Thanks for taking the time to describe the Micro. Like you said, it may not be for everyone, but I've grown to like it. It will make an AAA cell do things I never thought possible...

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Re: Micro Illuminator What a POWERFUL, TINY light!

The anticipation is killing me...mine is on the way. We don't have Brinkmans in Canada so I'm not familiar with them. I trust they are a good qualilty light or it wouldn't have been used as the basis for this light. How waterproof will the light be? Has the switch been proven reliable over time?

Blair

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The switch is pretty reliable. From the 6 or 8 Brink 2AAs and 3AAs that I have, neither of them have had problems with their tailcaps.

As far as waterproofness goes, I don't believe these guys are watertight. They do have o-rings, and they will survive a wet, rainy day, as well as a quick dunk (and I mean quick drop dunk) in a pool of water, but they can't be submerged for long; or they will leak...

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Buddtx, thanks for the write up, too bad I have wait another week or two for mine, can't wait to see this new light, just what I needed, really!

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine is (hopefully /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) on the way soon. I can't wait!

Jon

Wylie

Enlightened

Hey Kevin?
When you offered to send the reflector was that after my payment to you or were you joking?