Question on Battery brand/type for the M30 triton

itsmejaytee

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, im new to this forum and new to flashlights in general. I am getting the M30 Triton soon and would like some suggestions on battery brands or types ( cr123a or 18650)

So i understand that the cheaper batteries are cheaper for a reason? What is a good brand for the best price. Ive seen some cr123a batteries go for like 8 bux or more per battery?? Ive used the plain blue label ones on ebay that went for like 1 dollar or so each.

Also for the battery type, if i use 3xcr123a @ 3.7v that means total is 11.1 v correct? and 2 x 18650 is 7.4v? so using the 3xcr123a will result in more juice and a brighter light? how does the amperage of the battery play a part in performance? i thought it was for battery life only?

anyone care to shed some light? It would be much appreciated!!

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235164

Go there to read about the dangers of LiIon Cells. If you willing to risk your safety then buying cheap cells is okay.

For the M30 it really just depends on your size preference. Use 2x18650's and it will be about 1.5 inch longer then if you were to use 3x123's. I would suggest using AW batteries (sold by AW in the marketplace). They are the most highly regarded brand in this forum. And make sure you be safe in caring and charging your cells.

how2

Enlightened
Why don't you try the Trustfire Black and Red. They seems to be the lastest model.

AW are good but expensive from the test run times they seems only slightly better than the Trustfire. But twice or three times the price.

Trustfire seems to come nearthe top of the budget brands. Don't forget the are all made in china( i think).

good luck

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
I have been using AW 18500 x 2 in the "Shorty" configuration.
Excellent run time (several hours with a mix of High & Medium)
Have not had any problems over last couple of months.
Have only recharged the 18500's about 3 or 4 times in that period (using WF-39 charger).
If I know I am going to be using it as a primary light source for a whole nights activities then I may consider putting in 2 x AW18650's but I have only done this twice and batts have lasted all night again mostly medium power but still a hour or so here and there on high.

I have a couple of "Ultra Fire" 18650's one of which gives me constant issues trying to charge (I need to "boot" it to get charging). I have charged them and leave them in my "glove box" as emergency spares.

I am very happy with 2 x AW 18500's, FWIW :D

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont use the 3xcr123 configuration it runs regulated for about 15 minutes on high and then the output begins to decline steadily from there.

If use it without the extension tube the best way is using 2x18500, you will get a little over an hour on max. Thats not bad considering even when running with 18650's your looking at around 1.5hrs on max. Pick you up a couple AW 18500.

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18500-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_104.html

Selfbuilts awsome review with runtimes

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231491

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x18500 is the best config of them all!

Still nice and compact with great runtimes!

P8272399.jpg

itsmejaytee

Newly Enlightened
hmm i was trying not to resort to using the extender tube just because of the extra length. i always thought that putting more batteries will give you more voltage which means more power? I still have a hard time understanding how 2 x 18650 are better then 3 x cr123 other than run times.

The AW 18650 are expensive though. Is there another alternative? like the trustfires some of you were mentioning? Any model in particular are better? 2600mah/2800mah/3000mah??

stallion2

Enlightened
jhc37013 is right. using only 3 primaries is silly. that 4th battery makes a huge difference in output and runtime. if you want a hand cannon thats compact then the M30 is one of the best options right now even w/ the extension. the link below is a bunch of testing Silverfox has been doing and updating, i believe there is a 2nd thread like this thats more up to date. for primaries i like the latest version of Titanium Innovations. the first ones weren't very good but the distributor had his supplier revise the design after the first version did so poorly. $-wise i think they're about the best. i just started using 18650s and like them very much but am working on a charging station that will extinguish them should they catch fire. it'll be primitive but should work.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/67078

whatever you get just make sure that they're protected.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought that putting more batteries will give you more voltage which means more power? I still have a hard time understanding how 2 x 18650 are better then 3 x cr123 other than run times.

It is 'computer' controlled, not direct driven.

Anyway, 2x18500 or 2x 18650's means 8.4v anyway.

I think you are confusing yourself, with thinking that more volts means more power.

Read selfbuilts review and look at the runtime graph.

You will see that no matter what battery config you use, you will get the same output, just the runtime differs. The conclusion you will come to is that for best size/output/runtime the 2x18500 config is the best.

Also in your OP you mentioned that CR123's will run at 3.7v... this is incorrect. They are 3v.
RCR123's are 4.2v along with 18650's, 18500's etc etc.

I will say it again, you can choose to ignore if you wish.

The 2x18500 config. offers the best comparative runtime, size and output!

Also, save the little extra for AW cells. It is worth it in the long run.

Last edited:

Billy Ram

Enlightened
You don't want to run cr123s in this light. Going through 3 or 4 at a time will get expensive. This size light is not going to be as handy as the 2 cell cr123 lights so you might as well use the extension. I found the extension doesn't make the light any less handy and I use 2 AW 18650s. The light stays brighter longer with these batterys and you can't have too much light. Can you?
Billy

itsmejaytee

Newly Enlightened
It is 'computer' controlled, not direct driven.

Anyway, 2x18500 or 2x 18650's means 8.4v anyway.

I think you are confusing yourself, with thinking that more volts means more power.

Read selfbuilts review and look at the runtime graph.

You will see that no matter what battery config you use, you will get the same output, just the runtime differs. The conclusion you will come to is that for best size/output/runtime the 2x18500 config is the best.

Also in your OP you mentioned that CR123's will run at 3.7v... this is incorrect. They are 3v.
RCR123's are 4.2v along with 18650's, 18500's etc etc.

I will say it again, you can choose to ignore if you wish.

The 2x18500 config. offers the best comparative runtime, size and output!

Also, save the little extra for AW cells. It is worth it in the long run.

Sorry i meant the RCR123 runs at 3.7v? I get them mixed up but i am referring to rechargeable 123 batteryies vs the 18650. The only reason why i was trying to avoid the extender tube is because i wanted to keep its compact size. But you do make a good point, and thanks for the info

itsmejaytee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all the quick replies, i really appreciate. In all honesty, i don't think i can afford the AWs:shakehead. I would need at least 4, 2 in and 2 for back up. Thats like 50 bux?!

Sorry to say but i think i need to try a cheaper alternative. I've heard good and bad about Trustfire, but i am almost giving in to them. Is there any other cheaper name brands you guys can recommend me?

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Please do not get me wrong but I am a person of limited means (not rich) but like many others on this forum I have a small passion for quality high end flashlights. If I can afford to purchase a M30 in the first instance I think the cost of quality 18500's is part of that passion and I take the valued opinions of other members here with high regard.

I can not understand why you would not go with the AW 18500's (or AW 18650's)
You think $50 is expensive for rechargeable batts in a light which retails for well over $100. (you do not want to know what my batt's cost by the time they arrive down-under!).

But this is the beauty of this forum, you get more info than you need/want sometimes (but I would not have it any other way).
Enjoy your M30 :D

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Thanks again for all the quick replies, i really appreciate. In all honesty, i don't think i can afford the AWs:shakehead. I would need at least 4, 2 in and 2 for back up. Thats like 50 bux?!

Sorry to say but i think i need to try a cheaper alternative. I've heard good and bad about Trustfire, but i am almost giving in to them. Is there any other cheaper name brands you guys can recommend me?
You don't need to have 2 18650s for back up. "That's what cr123s are for" With rechargables you can keep them charged so you all ways have fully charged batterys in your light. In that light if you use it much you can't afford not to use rechargables.
Billy

stallion2

Enlightened
You don't need to have 2 18650s for back up.

if your unsure of what you'll want to use most often then just get two 18***'s and a charger for them. then you can go back and forth between those and primaries and you'll notice very quickly that rechargeables are far more economical even if you don't use the light that often.

for buying primaries you have only two basic options...
1) you can buy them 1 & 2 at a time from Walmart or a pharmacy and pay $5-6 per cell
2) or you can buy them 25 at a time (minimum) and $1.50-$2 per cell (for a grand total of ....$40-$50).

i've been buying my primaries in 50s for a couple years at about $1.00 apiece. when i got my Surefire G2, my 1st 'real' torch...it was a xenon bulb and sucks power like crazy and it still took me over a year to make the leap to buying bulk. but as soon as that first set died and i grabbed a 2nd set out of the box i realized i should have been buying bulk all along.

if you're unsure about committing to a light that runs on expensive batteries then....

>the Fenix TK40 gives you about the same output on 8 AA's and costs about the same

>the iTP A6 Polestar gives you the same output on 6 AA's and is only $80

itsmejaytee

Newly Enlightened
if your unsure of what you'll want to use most often then just get two 18***'s and a charger for them. then you can go back and forth between those and primaries and you'll notice very quickly that rechargeables are far more economical even if you don't use the light that often.

for buying primaries you have only two basic options...
1) you can buy them 1 & 2 at a time from Walmart or a pharmacy and pay $5-6 per cell
2) or you can buy them 25 at a time (minimum) and $1.50-$2 per cell (for a grand total of ....$40-$50).

i've been buying my primaries in 50s for a couple years at about $1.00 apiece. when i got my Surefire G2, my 1st 'real' torch...it was a xenon bulb and sucks power like crazy and it still took me over a year to make the leap to buying bulk. but as soon as that first set died and i grabbed a 2nd set out of the box i realized i should have been buying bulk all along.

if you're unsure about committing to a light that runs on expensive batteries then....

>the Fenix TK40 gives you about the same output on 8 AA's and costs about the same

>the iTP A6 Polestar gives you the same output on 6 AA's and is only $80

Sorry for the confusion but i want to clarify again that i am not referring to Primaries. I meant RCR123a vs 18650. I have never owned any primaries, ive always had rechargable 123a's. I was trying to compare the performance and life of 3x RCR123a vs. 2x18650. I thought that 3 rcr123a will give the light more performance? So that is why i was curious why going 2x18650 would be more beneficial besides the obvious, runtime. I am trying to avoid using the extender tube because i like the compact size w/o it.

Also, would using 18500's in the M30 triton eliminate the need of the extender tube?? if so then i guess i found my solution! :grin2:

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Sorry for the confusion but i want to clarify again that i am not referring to Primaries. I meant RCR123a vs 18650. I have never owned any primaries, ive always had rechargable 123a's. I was trying to compare the performance and life of 3x RCR123a vs. 2x18650. I thought that 3 rcr123a will give the light more performance? So that is why i was curious why going 2x18650 would be more beneficial besides the obvious, runtime. I am trying to avoid using the extender tube because i like the compact size w/o it.

Also, would using 18500's in the M30 triton eliminate the need of the extender tube?? if so then i guess i found my solution! :grin2:
2ea. AW18650 2600mha batterys will give you about 3 times the run time of 3ea. rcr123s. 2ea. 18500s will give you about 1/2 the run time of 2ea. aw18650s.
You won't have to use the extention tube with 2ea. 18500s.
Billy

stallion2

Enlightened
Sorry for the confusion but i want to clarify again that i am not referring to Primaries. I meant RCR123a vs 18650.

ahhhh, yes i see that now. i've never really explored the 18500s but after going back to selfbuilt's review they look like they have great potential. i think i'll get a couple in the next week or two.

2ea. AW18650 2600mha batterys will give you about 3 times the run time of 3ea. rcr123s. 2ea. 18500s will give you about 1/2 the run time of 2ea. aw18650s.
You won't have to use the extention tube with 2ea. 18500s.
Billy

Thanks Billy