ID of this Maglite LED drop in

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
aI cannot seem to find the name or model of this drop in.

Does anyone have any experience or know where to get one?

Does it perform as good as it looks?

I plan to replace my stock Incand with an LED drop in and this one looks cool

Thanks
/TLE300.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The file is "TLE300.jpg" I typed in TLE300 to google, clicke I'm feeling lucky, and got a link to the drop-in. The clue could be hiding in plain sight ;)

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others stated, that's the TLE-300M from Terralux. They just came out with an upgraded version of it called the TLE-300M-EX. It's easy to tell the difference between the two because the 300M version has a black plastic front panel, as shown in the above photo, while the 300M-EX version has a gray plastic front panel. The EX version has three light output modes (low, medium, high) and it supposedly puts out 700 lumens, which is 100 more than the regular 300M version.

There are some photos of the TLE-300M-EX on the Bright Guy website:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/TerraLUX_MiniStar_30M-EX_LED_Upgrade_Kit_TLE-300M-EX.php

I just bought the TLE-300M-EX for my 4 D cell Maglite and I like it. Because it has three LEDs (Cree XR-Es I think) it produces a very floody beam pattern. The beam is not perfectly circular though. It has a star shape to it. It does not have any other artifacts in the beam pattern though. What I like most is that it has a wide flood pattern without the annoying donut hole in the middle that all Maglites have when set on flood.

I would not suggest those drop ins if you are trying to make your Maglite into a throw light. They just aren't made for that purpose. They are great flood lights though and they do throw very well given their wide beam pattern. If a tight pencil beam is what you're after though, look elsewhere.

The star shaped beam pattern doesn't bother me at all though. If I want a high quality beam, I reach for my always ready Fenix TK40. No other LED light comes close to my ideal beam pattern than what the TK40 produces so I've given up on expecting anything better from any other light or drop in upgrade.

By the way, don't believe any of Terralux's lumens ratings on their Maglite drop-in upgrades. None of them comes close to what my TK40 puts out and supposedly the TK40 has a lower lumen rating than the one from Terralux. That also applies to their MiniMaglite drop in bulbs too. They're nowhere near as bright as what Terralux says on their website and packaging.

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Great, thank you Locoboy5150 and bullterrier for your helpful and informative posts! that helps me in my decision making. Very much appreciated!

and thank you gunner for taking the time to add absolutely nothing topic related to this thread!