How long will these lights stay around for

JCK

Newly Enlightened
Hey all at CPF, new here so I wasn't sure whether this should go into the LED flashlight section or the General Flaslight forum so I ust put it in General.

Anyway, my question is, Will the Fenix LD20 and the Nitecore D10 still be available for purchase around mid 2010?

Basically I can't buy them right now, however come next year I will be able to

Now I'm sure that by this time both nitecore and Fenix will have released newer models and maybe a LD40 and a D30 but I like the current LD20 and D10 models. Just my 2 cents.

So what do you think, becuase unless a newer and better LD20 or D10 comes out, being whatever it is called, and it is instantly better and far superior to the current models, I would get them, but if not then I would still like the D10 and LD20 to be available for purchase, as I really like these lights

Cheers

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF

When mid 2010 comes around and you still want those lights and if they are not being made anymore you will still be able to find them in the Marketplace, right now we have no idea what will change by then but I'm sure something will.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The march of progress (as far as flashlights is concerned, anyway) isn't necessarily something you should fear. As Morelite pointed out, older models are always popping up on the Marketplace, and, who knows, when next years line-up arrives, you may find something you like even better.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure the will be a LD20 in 2010 whether its the current model or with a updated emitter and still same body who knows but their will be a LD of some sort. Like you said it could be called something else we went from the LD2 to LD20 now the LD20+. Maybe it will be the LD20++

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
if I was you, i won't be too worried, technology will always improve and things only get better.

if you really like the old models that much, just get it from the CPFM, i ensure you someone will sell their LD20 and/or Nitecore D10.

JCK

Newly Enlightened
yeah I understand what everyone is saying.

I guess I wouldn't want a new model to come out and be worse or lack something that everyone liked about the old one, because the company decided it was too expensive to include that in production costs of the new model. Maybe I'm overworrying, who knows. But thanks for replies, very helpful :twothumbs

Shame about the old nitecore D10 UI being replaced, I really liked the infintely variable thing that let you choose any brightness, compared to the new mode to mode UI (as technical as my lingo gets lol)

Who knows, if enough "customer feedback" is given, maybe nitecore will listen. I'm complaining already and I don't even have one.:rolleyes:

but thanks again everyone here seems to know their stuff
EDIT: Alhtough torchworld still sells the XP version which still has the infinite digital thing I like, so I'll email them and see how long they are planning on selling that model for

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
* mid next year the new Cree XP-G will already be installed --> 1/3 more light with everything else being the same.

* possibly already the neutral or warm white XP-Gs

* if that particular model is not made any more, a very similar one will be available.

* if that maker has no "successor" model that You like, there will be another maker offering one

... no need to fear

PS: use that 1/2 year to rethink You battery situation.
When You do not need AA batts for some special reason, totally switch to 18650 Li-Ion cells and lights with them.
While no big deal in size (which gets better with 18650), tremendously better when power of batteries and total system cost is regarded.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember 4SEVENS is not the only outfit selling Fenix flashlights. Many others like EliteLED, J2LEDflashlights and lighthound are less well known and their lights sell slower. So even if the light you want is no longer available at 4SEVENS/Fenix store, they are often still in stock at these other dealers.

JCK

Newly Enlightened
* mid next year the new Cree XP-G will already be installed --> 1/3 more light with everything else being the same.

* possibly already the neutral or warm white XP-Gs

* if that particular model is not made any more, a very similar one will be available.

* if that maker has no "successor" model that You like, there will be another maker offering one

... no need to fear

PS: use that 1/2 year to rethink You battery situation.
When You do not need AA batts for some special reason, totally switch to 18650 Li-Ion cells and lights with them.
While no big deal in size (which gets better with 18650), tremendously better when power of batteries and total system cost is regarded.

If you could, becuase I am maybe ignorant and haven't read enough of CPF, or I simply don't know explain what you mean by the neutral or warm white LEDs. Do you mean that with this new XP G led, the colour rendition that a person can make out of an object would be affected by what kind of tint the light uses. i.e. If its a bright white it might drown out the real colour?

and looking around the threads, someone mentioned that nitecore may release a D15 with XP-G R5, original UI or with user setting memorized.

So with that news I suppose I should wait, becuase obviously if this new XP G Led is gonna be put into lights, then it will be better as you said. Also, perhaps nitecore might listen and make a "D15" with the original UI with the ramping feature which I really like, and the ability to memorise that brightness level you just ramped to, because for me that would be a perfect light, as I felt that was the only feature that the D10 has left out.

So thanks, I guess I should wait, as technology can only improve, and maybe nitecore will be nice and listen

If I'm lucky, nitecore will come out with something like a "D15" with all that new technology, and the ramping, memory of brightness and original UI that I like.

and one more thing about the batteries, I like AA's because they are for me cheaper and easier to find, but I am a bit confused as from which to choose from, as say if we were to take the original EX10 and the DX10 as an example, I read on the site that the D10 has a higher high, and a lower low, yet slightly lower runtimes.
But would in combination with the new XP-G leds, the CR123 batteries or whatever they are 1850 li-ion (I'm really confused when it comes to this part) have greater runtimes and lower lows and better overall efficiency because its being combo'd with a new more efficient XP-G led?

sorry if I've repeated myself a bit,and thanks for reading my massive rant, which is probably really noobish coz I don't know much about lights and stuff - its been a long day for me, adn I'm tired lol

cheers
JCK

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A normal (cool white) LED has a lot of blue.
A walk in the woods there is only green (leaves, grass) and brown (tree trunks, mud trails). The excessive blue reflects back equally putting a bluish haze on everything. The neutral and warm whites have a lot less blue, no bluish haze and the green and brown show up more vivid.
This only applies to outdoors. Indoors (where walls are white or off white) and downtown (where the buildings are gray concrete), the cool whites perform better.

I live downtown, and the only time I used my dereelight Q2 5A was during the CPF meet 2008 in High Park Toronto. Due to lack of use over 18 months I've donated the light to Christmas gifts VIII. Whether a neutral warm white is useful depends on how you use the light.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
in general:

cool white - brightest - much on the blue side (seems bright, but witch use one gets to hate it)
neutral white - about brightness than cool - perfect (for my taste)
warm white - visibly dimmer than the others - much like normal incan beams, more to the yellow than other led

JCK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that explanations, and I googled some pics for the different whites and that also helped.

In response to LEDninja's post, I would be using the torch for more outdoor uses such as tramping and such, and a little bit of indoor home use.

So I'm wondering, alas a bit OT, with this new XP-G led, what tint will it be? or does that depend on the torch itself?

Because if I was to be mainly using this outdoors, I would want a neutral white? However, I was looking at some beamshots and the neutral white seems to be just as bright as the cool white, yet as you stated it didn't have that blue tint, however, it seemed to give of better radial light, I suppose spill then the neutral white. I have included the pictures so you can see what I'm talking about

Now I have taken these pictures from a thread by zipplet, so give zipplet all the credit

5otnp3.jpg

This is the cool white

2lxgeoh.jpg

This is the neutral white

So to me it looks like the cool white has greater spill than the neutral white, as in the 1st picture, you can make out some of the LCD display of the remote/aircon control thing in the top right, yet in the second image, you can't see it

However if the neutral white had better colour rendition, then if you got one that was more powerful or a better throw or spill I suppose that would fix the problem of not seeing everything?

fannin

Enlightened
fenix l2d is still widely available, as is the ld20 which replaced it has itself been superseded, only by the ld20+ but 2 previous models are still available

ld20 will probably bee around for a while

don't know about the nitecore, probably will though