"Flashing" the L4

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
\"Flashing\" the L4

I just thought of something... Would repeated "flashing" (just like, using the L4 for short bursts several times) do anything bad to the LED (either quickly noticible or long term effects)? The reason I ask this is because I've kind of been doing that and I think I read that doing this to a regular light bulb shortens it's lifespan? Thanks for help you guys can give!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: flashing the KL4

If fast flashing the KL4 is harmful, I've been doing this for weeks and weeks with tens of pairs of SF123A's. I've mentioned my usage habits to PK and he hasn't even remotely mentioned "Hold on Al, I don't think you want to be doing that!"

I have no fear of flashing any SureFire.
If it shortens the bulb life then my SureFires haven't shown this to be the case. SureFires are intended to be flashed quickly to aid the disorientation of those downwind of the beam.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic

One of the coolest things about the KL4 is that you can "strobe" it. In a nightclub this can be really cool.
In the dark, this can be really mean to do to people as people just aren't expecting or able to cope with the "daylight" colour of the KL4 - when you flash it in someone's eyes don't get a "Do that again, that's really cool!" type reaction.

Al

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to show my L4 to too many people but my sister gave me a, "I'm seeing 3 spots, I'm going to kill you!" reaction when I strobed it at her. Oh well, can't wait until all of my friends and I get together so I can just tick everybody off. =P

Size15's

Flashaholic

Even in a well lit office - one of my technicians walking towards me from about 10 metres away put his hands over his eyes and turned his head. I'd have seen how easy it was to rush him, however, I needed him to break a few mirrors and glass panels that afternoon.

Note:
If you want to keep your friends and technicians, don't shine lights in their eyes.

Al

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

I almost can't wait until some smartbutt backstage tries to flash me in th eyes with his cheapo 2D "bright" flashlight and I whip out my L4 in return. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've stared into the L4 until it didn't hurt any more. Guess what? You can clearly see the 4 dies. Your eyes can actually adjust to the light. I do not recommend doing this. It took my eyes almost 20 minutes to clear up. Running water in the sink, on the chrome stopper, looked like the water had a yellow reflection. I think it was the dies burnt into my retinas. Please don't try this at home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

And please don't do it again jdriller. That is some scary stuff you're pulling on yourself. From what i've heard on the CPF, deteriorating eyesight slowly creeps up on you, it just doesn't happen suddenly.

I don't know if 65lumens is enoegh intensity to damage your eyesight permanently as compared to, say, a laser, but i'm sure prolonged and repeated exposure might do some serious damage.

...i'm just lookin' out for your safety.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

jdriller, you must be young and fearless, and feel indestructable, sort of like my 17 year old son. Please, do not do that anymore. Bill

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, that is scarey. Last night I let my L4 run way down until I could look at it without seeing any spots afterward. Like jdriller, I could see the 4 dies. In each of them were four bright rows, and a line of light around the periphery ofthe whole thing. If you want to see all this, just get two dead batteries and slip 'em in. But they have to be VERY dead.

Paul

brightnorm

Flashaholic

jdriller,

Aside from any potential damage from the KL4's 65lu brightness, there is evidence to suggest that retinal sensitivity to LED wavelengths can induce permanent damage with relatively little exposure. If you check SEARCH you may find some past threads that discuss this. I believe there were even warnings about flashng LEDs at animals for the same reason.

Be as courageous and daring as you like, but don't mess with your eyesight

Brightnorm

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

see....we care about each other and you! What good is a flashlight if you can't see?

ON a side note, and back on topic, I've been strobing my L4 ever since i opened the box, and everytime i turn it on. I think the die in an LED has more tolerance than a filament, so i have no worries. I've stobed my Arc LSH MANY times without any signs of degredation.

AluminumOvercast

Enlightened

true. I hear it is almost like looking into a lazer since it is a "point source". but I'm no scientist. I still don't risk it.

Shelby

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i don't think strobing will damage an LED of any sort...bicycle tail lights that use LEDs usually have strobing settings.

btw does this mean i should stop flashing myself with my arc ls and sf m3? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the concern guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif This is a great place where everyone cares about each other. I will not stare into the light anymore. I'm old enough to know better. I also tried to watch a guy weld. That is something you don't do. I will be more careful about my sight.

Thanks to all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

If flashing these things harm them in anyway, mine would be dead by now. I can't tell you how many times I've cycled mine testing various switches. I've probably done several lifetimes of cycles in a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened

If you don't want to wait until the cells are run down you may try the cd-r trick: just take a cd-r (any kind will work, but without printings on top works best) and hold the flashlight right behind it. The reflective layer of the cd-r will block most of the light therefor you can look at the die without risking your eyesight. BTW - that way you can take a look at the sun too - might be useful watching a solar eclipse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris

AluminumOvercast

Enlightened

Question: Do you guys just sit there and click away manually while watching tv or something or do you put it through some contraption such as a sawzall with a soft end? That's a lot of strobing!