New Cree "Outdoor white" bin in R2

HumanLumen

Newly Enlightened
What's people's opinion on this then? They are offereing up to an R2 bin in outdoor white, supposed to emulate HID with a cct of 4000-5300. Fits in between cool white and neural white and overlaps both. CRI is a little lower at 70

HL

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I view it as progress. It is just another small step towards LED's domination in lighting. I hope people don't moan about it not being warm or too low of CRI (actually not bad considering the HID sources). Progress has been fast enough with LEDs. Look how far we've gone since the white LEDs was introduced just ~15 years ago.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I view it as progress. It is just another small step towards LED's domination in lighting. I hope people don't moan about it not being warm or too low of CRI (actually not bad considering the HID sources). Progress has been fast enough with LEDs. Look how far we've gone since the white LEDs was introduced just ~15 years ago.
I agree. A CRI of 70 is perfectly fine for outdoor and even some indoor applications. It's better than the low 60s of most outdoor HID sources. Besides that, I've noticed that an LED with a CRI of 70 is subjectively better than a fluorescent with the same CRI. These LEDs then should actually make an outdoor scene look better than it does under HID. Second, IMO the color temp is perfect, especially for outdoor lighting. No reason at all why we need warm lighting outdoors. Actually there are lots of reasons why warm outdoor lighting is bad. It's already been demostrated that sodium vapor lights kill peripheral vision due to the scotopically unfavorable spectrum. They also appear dimmer for the same reasons, requiring higher photopic light levels for the same apparent brightness. So this is definitely a great development. I really hope the outdoor lighting industry standardizes on the color temperature range of this new LED. I'll be thrilled when those awful sodium lights are history.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems interesting, for a good CCT neutral-white [4500K], you get a nice upgrade from Q4 to R2.
The 'x-factor' will be the neutral-white xp-g.
By March, S2 should be the normal top of the line for cool-white, so R4 for neutral and R2 for warm-white?

Regarding 'moaning', the SST-50/90 in 'normal' CRI is 70, and medium is 83

March came and went, and S2 isn't commonplace. R5 cool, R4 outdoor, R3 neutral, Q5 warm.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe they would compromise the CRI on these! What's their problem? Now we won't be able to see anything.:( And where's the warm ones?! :sigh:moan

:D

spencer

Enlightened
I can't believe they would compromise the CRI on these! What's their problem? Now we won't be able to see anything.:( And where's the warm ones?! :sigh:moan

:D
Since I know you have a lot of experience with a lot of different LED's, how do you think these will compare to a cool white (ex. WC) and to a high cri (like the high cri Seouls) in actually outside flashlight use?