Help a dummy decide

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys...This is my first post kinda...I tried posting this earlier and for some reason it didnt work so I hope Im not making the same thread again.

Im lookin for some advice from anyone out there who knows more than me...which is prolly alot of you.

I cant decide whether to buy a Fenix PD30+ Cree R4 265 lumen, or the quark 123-2 Cree R5 230 lumen.

Brightness and throw are the most important consideration for me...not so much flood.

But here is why I cant decide. I have a TLR2 135 lumen light that blows away my pd30 230 lumen light. I dont really know why...but it wins in brightness throw and flood. So I really dont trust lumen ratings. I guess I have to attribute that to the LED used.

That being said I dont know which light(fenix or quark) will out perform the other. Is the R4 an inferior LED compared to the R5? Because if the LED matters more than lumen ratings(which im starting to think so) than maybe the quark will win.

So if any of you guys know...which light is superior?!?!

Please help me understand, because I really dont want to buy both just to compare em! but im about willing to do that!

Thanks guys

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF Josh. I can't help with these lights, but I'm sure someone will chime in. Check out the reviews section for more help. Half the fun is studying all the possibilities.

Geoff

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
If throw is most important to you, you should consider the Quark Turbo rather than the regular Quark.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

One thing to keep in mind is that Quarks lumens are rated OTF (Out The Front), and Fenix rates their lights at the emitter. There's something like 30% loss between the emitter and OTF lumens.

The R5 emitter will outperform the R4. At any given current it will produce more light.

For best throw, you'll want to look at a light with an aspheric lens rather than a reflector. I don't know one to recommend to you. As far as I know, between Quark and Fenix the best throw you're going to get is with the Quark Turbo.

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
So i have just about decided on the quark....but what is with the company? On the 4sevens website they have a ton of different light companies on there. Does anyone know where the 4sevens lights are made?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i cant say anything about the pd30, but i have been using my quark 123x2 tactical R5 alot the past week.
i chose the quark over the pd30 because i hear it floods better, i already knew it has a bigger spill, and hear that the new R5 is floodier. the hot spot is pretty wide, but still has good throw range for such a small light. if your looking for throw i dont think you should go with either the pd30 or quark 123x2.
the quark works great at low - med range. the color tint of the hot spot is white, around the hot spot is has a slight greenish tint, and leading out towards the egde of the spill is gets alittle purplish. but these color tints are very slight, and not really an issue, i would notice it if i wasnt looking for it.
a light that throws is usually all in the reflector, width, depth, and smoothness of the reflector. but that also means they arent to be carried in the pocket.

alot of jetbeam lights have good throw, also check out the tiablo A-10g, dereelight dbs,

if you want a quark for throw, you might want to check out the quark turbo series. great thing about quark is the heads can be swapped along with other parts of the light.

LightCannon

Enlightened
Hey guys...This is my first post kinda...I tried posting this earlier and for some reason it didnt work so I hope Im not making the same thread again.

Im lookin for some advice from anyone out there who knows more than me...which is prolly alot of you.

I cant decide whether to buy a Fenix PD30+ Cree R4 265 lumen, or the quark 123-2 Cree R5 230 lumen.

Brightness and throw are the most important consideration for me...not so much flood.

But here is why I cant decide. I have a TLR2 135 lumen light that blows away my pd30 230 lumen light. I dont really know why...but it wins in brightness throw and flood. So I really dont trust lumen ratings. I guess I have to attribute that to the LED used.

That being said I dont know which light(fenix or quark) will out perform the other. Is the R4 an inferior LED compared to the R5? Because if the LED matters more than lumen ratings(which im starting to think so) than maybe the quark will win.

So if any of you guys know...which light is superior?!?!

Please help me understand, because I really dont want to buy both just to compare em! but im about willing to do that!

Thanks guys
The reason a throwier light might seem brighter than a floodier light any given lumens rating, or even if the flooder has a higher rating, is because the thrower has higher lux, I believe (I may be wrong, but I'm sure someone will step in to correct e if I do. That's what's so great about CPF!)

Here's an experiment to try: Take a decent laser pointer and shine it an the wall, and then take a flashlight and shine it on the same spot. The laser should still show up over the hotspot of the beam, even if it has a lower lumens count (though one normally wouldn't rate lasers with lumens.)

Welcome to CPF!

slayergut

Newly Enlightened
If you want more throw perhaps the PD30 R2 235lumens would be a better choice than the PD30 R4 265lumens.I think the R2 has a longer range than the newer R4 because the diode is smaller.i dont know about the quark, but my PD30+ R2 has been a fantastic light for me. :grin2:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need throw look at the lux number not the lumen number.

The lumen number plus the area of the spill gives you some idea how bright the spill is. It does not tell you how bright the hotspot is. There was a thread in which a member pointed out his MJLED (~15 lumens) out-throws his 100 watt household bulb (~1400 lumens).

The lux number will give you the brightness of the hotspot. (The square root of the Lux @ 1 meter will give you the throw distance in meters)
Check the reviews by selfbuilt and others to see if the lux numbers are available.

-

In general bigger reflectors will focus better, give more throw with the same kind of LED.
Left Mag with 52 mm reflector, right MTE with 38 mm reflector, both SSC-P7 LED.
P7MagvsMTE2.jpg

Fenix PD30, 21.5 mm diameter.
Quark 123*2, 0.86"=21.8 mm diameter.
Quark turbo, 1.2"=30.5 mm diameter.
I would go with the Quark turbo. (chaosmagnet has already mentioned that but did not say why. Now you know.)

-

BTW the throw king the Dereelight DBS is 34 mm at the head.

For pure throw look at the Malkoff XP-G drop in (260 lumens OTF) for a 3C or 3D Mag. The 52 mm reflector of a Mag will out throw the Fenixes, Quarks and Dereelights. Unfortunately a 3D Mag is not exactly pocketable.

Last edited:

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
So i have just about decided on the quark....but what is with the company? On the 4sevens website they have a ton of different light companies on there. Does anyone know where the 4sevens lights are made?

The box I have in my hand says "Designed by 4Sevens in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Assembled in China with components from USA, China and Malaysia."

As you can see, 4Sevens also is a dealer that sells other lights.

I own three Quarks, I'm getting a fourth for Christmas, and I've been struggling to not buy a Preon. I'm entirely satisfied with the product. They also have outstanding customer service.

For the record, I have no connection to them other than as a customer.

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
wicked helpful everyone! thanks for all the responses.

unfortunately im even further away from a decision!!! but thats a good thing.

there is just so much that goes into a light its incredible

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Look at the Dorcy 220 lumen for a cheaper light with extreme throw. Just presenting this as a possible option since you state brightness and throw are so important.

:welcome: