Luxeon Rebel 100 vs. Cree XR-E vs. Cree XP-G R5 - Differences?

Jesper

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix L2D Premium 100 that looks like new, so I going to use it as a christmas present. That's one easy present, but it means I will need a new light for myself!

I haven't kept up with developments since I bought the L2D, so I have been doing some research on the forums. It seems like Luxeon is out of the game - all lights use Cree emitters?

My only experience with Cree is my Busch & Müller Ixon IQ bike light. It uses a XR-E emitter. When I compare it with my L2D it's much brighter (also uses 4 AA's) and the tint is much colder. My L2D with a Luxeon Rebel 100 have - to my eyes - a much more pleasant and neutral tint.

It seems like the best in terms of output these days is a Cree XP-G R5? I was Looking at a Quark 2xAA as a replacement for my L2D. How will these compare in terms of output and tint?

I noticed some folks are very passionate about neutral tint emitters - are these like the Rebel 100 in terms of tint?

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
The Quark w/XP-G R5 will have significantly more output, but less throw due to the size of the LED die. It is not available in warm or neutral white tint. Neutral white tint would probably be somewhat warmer than the Rebel; personally I love my Q3-5A neutral tinted Quark AA^2.