4D Incan Maglite question: Terralux 6EX or buy new 3D MagLed?

Sean Archer

Newly Enlightened
Budget is < $40. Which is brighter? Which has better runtime?

I've been reading all the old threads for the past week and becoming quietly obsessed :p. I want some more power but don't want to go the route of Malkoff or the like.

THANKS!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both? :devil: Not sure of Costco still has the sale, but they had the 2AA and 3D package for $24.99 when I got mine. So indeed, this and the drop-in upgrade would still be close to your budget. ;)

A new 3D would probably be better though. Drop-in replacements tend to have heat issues unless you improve the heat dissipation.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I have a 6D with the Terralux 6EX upgrade, I also have a new rebel 3D.

The rebel 3D looks a bit whiter and brighter to my eyes, but there didn't seem to be all that much difference in it.

I've not really run either of these lights for an extended period of time to get a feel for the runtimes though unfortunately. They're both on their first sets of batteries since buying/upgrade from incandescent.

Sean Archer

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6D with the Terralux 6EX upgrade, I also have a new rebel 3D.

The rebel 3D looks a bit whiter and brighter to my eyes, but there didn't seem to be all that much difference in it.

I've not really run either of these lights for an extended period of time to get a feel for the runtimes though unfortunately. They're both on their first sets of batteries since buying/upgrade from incandescent.

Wow the new 3D is brighter than a 6D?

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for the Magled Rebel. Especially if you can get the Costco bundle (29.99 at my Costco) The extra deep reflector makes beautiful beam with incredible throw. Also I've found the Terralux to be one of the more fragile dropin i've ever dealt with. Their heatsinking isn't as great as they make it out to be.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you get it from? Have you tried contacting TerraLUX?

And just to be sure, does the stock incan light up?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck! Although if the packaging doesn't look damaged, I would contact TerraLUX as it probably isn't the seller's fault.

Sean Archer

Newly Enlightened
Good luck! Although if the packaging doesn't look damaged, I would contact TerraLUX as it probably isn't the seller's fault.

Ok apparently it's not making contact. I just did a quick test with a key and it lit up. Should I just add a blob of solder to the end?

Sean Archer

Newly Enlightened
That sounds like a good idea, but I'm not so sure about that leaving an uneven surface...

Well it wasn't the bottom contact. It was the side (-) contact that wasn't touching. I took some tin foil and jammed it inside and I...HAVE...LIGHT!

Sean Archer

Newly Enlightened
I also discovered that accidentally short-circuiting a flashlight gets aluminum foil super hot super fast.