Farthest throwing flashlight? (for hunting)

45 ACP

Newly Enlightened
I hunt hogs at night on my property and am looking for the farthest throwing (tight beam) handheld flashlight available. I walk around in the woods/fields with binoculars, bows & arrows, pistols, rifles ect. and spot the hogs with our lights. Then we stalk them to an appropriate distance to take the shot while illuminating them with our lights. Right now I use a POB HID, maglights, and Surefire G2. I need a light that will throw a good beam at least 300+ yards, take rechargable batteries, and I dont mind it being somewhat large(4 cell maglight).....but dont want it as big as a spotlight. Also want a runtime of at least an hour.

I got a Thrunite Catapult for CHRISTmas. I am very happy with the light and it has great throw and very well made and I have no complaints. I will be using this in my hog hunting arsenal as well, but it has only greatly increased my desire even more to find the greatest throwing flashlight available. :D

What do yall recomend? I would like to stay in the $250 - $300 range. Should I be looking at a HID instead? I dont know much about flashlights and searching this site only confuses me more. Please advise me on what to do. Thanks in advance for any replies.

lightforce2

Enlightened
I use an Tiablo A9 with aspherical lens, upgraded emitter (R2 WH) at 1.6 amps. Its small, strong & lightweight and mounts easily to the rifle.
excelent for long distance shots but is not used for locating pest animals as the hotspot is too small & no side spill, I rekon this would be pushing close to 100,000 lux, its so much brighter than stock standard.

For locating targets I use one of the other lights which is another Tiablo Aspherical A9 (de-focused) with a red emitter for light sensitive pests or the Dereelight DBS fitter with a yellow camera filter which does not restrict output but just the removes blue spectrum of light

If your main objective is 'maximum light output' then hid should be considered, but as you know they are less practical for several reasons. Personaly I prefer to use the 'minimum' amount of light required as many pests are light sensitive. I find that large diameter reflectored lights create the perception of closer proximity and the pest will keep further away

rifle-right.jpg

Last edited:

45 ACP

Newly Enlightened
Thank yall for the links and suggestions. I'll be looking for the Deft-FTP when it becomes available.

lightforce2

Enlightened
If the light would be used for hunting, wouldn't a warm tint like a Q4 5A/B be superior to a Q5 WC for spotting pigs in the bush?

Yes.
Interestingly, when I replaced an R2 WC emitter with a Q4 5B in the Dereelight with the yellow filter, the Q4 5B was the brighter of the 2