Any Sport Bike people here?! I HATE winter!

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Guys - I HATE WINTER! Its FRIKIN COLD IN MARYLAND! Any track riders here? Here's me at Summit Main..

D2X_4018.jpg

I just sold that bike (2003 ZX6R 636) and picked up another bike (details will come up soon once completed)...

Im signing up for CCS this year with a couple friends...But this weather is KILLING ME!!!

Dez

Newly Enlightened
Former Ducati Monster owner.
Had to sell it when I started studying.

G1K

Newly Enlightened
Here are a few from NHIS:

ryan1.jpg

passexpert.jpg

20061009a176s.jpg

small.jpg

Here's a shot from the local Supermoto track.

sBatavia012.jpg

R

KD5XB

Enlightened
I guess I'm too old & fat now, but I rode various motorcycles for about 20 years. They ranged form Honda 350 twins to CB400F to a Gold Wing (1977 model, 1000 cc) and the last one I had was a Yamaha RZ350. Wish I still had that Yamaha, that was an incredible bike for only 350 cc! :eek:

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
I used to have an old RD350 Yamaha back in the early eighties. It was a screamer. I loved that little 2-cycle and wish I still had it. I have had my ZX-11 for a few years now and I am on the third motor. Yikes!!!:devil: But what's the point in having it if you can't open it up every now and then? Nothing like that 8000 rpm and up adrenaline rush....

gsxrac

Enlightened
Yep Ive got my 07' gsxr600 and I HATE winter. I also hate spring but thats only cause I have bad allergies and its hard to ride a bike when your eyes and nose are leaking :green: Also got asked to join a friends team and race at VIR and Summit point but I cant afford it right now :sigh:

flip

Enlightened
I have a 600 Bandit and my son has a 250 Ninja. Santa left me some V-Strom handguards that should work well with the grip heaters I installed a few years ago. That is if they would have fit on the aftermarket handlebars my bike now has.:hairpull:

It's been too cold here for me to go outside and install my son's grip heaters on his Ninja. I guess I'll wait till it is warm enough that he want need them before I install them.:D

Paladin

Enlightened
Last Wednesday it was 71 degrees and I rode about 60 miles. Then someone left the freezer door open and it's been too cold. If you hate winter you should move south, but then the downside is sweating under your leathers during the summer.

Paladin

not exactly a sport bike, but it's faster and handles better than my old KZ1000's from the late 70's...
Captured_2008-9-24_00001.jpg

flip

Enlightened
Paladin, that is a nice SV! When I was shopping for a re-entry bike about 6 years ago, the naked SV was at the top of my list. I had a very limited budget and I never found one in my price range so I ended up with my Bandit.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have an old RD350 Yamaha back in the early eighties. It was a screamer. I loved that little 2-cycle and wish I still had it.

If you live anywhere near London, I'll sell you the one that's been sitting in the garage for the past 15 years. It was in perfect nic when it went in but hasn't been run since.

As for the cold weather. You are all a bunch of wimps. Till you have done a long ride in a snowstorm, riding with your feet on the ground to stop the bike falling over, you don't know what cold is...:santa:

Last edited:

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
Jay R,

I wish I did live close to you because I would love to get my hands on a bike like that again. They are hard to come by here in the good old southern USA. 2-cycles have come a long way. Sometimes my '07 Yamaha YZ-125 still scares me when that power band kicks in.

I couldn't handle living across the water though. Anything below 60 degrees is ffrreeezzziiinngggg to me!!! Although we may burn up in summer, we still have a good 9-10 months of good riding a year.

Paladin

Enlightened
Paladin, that is a nice SV! When I was shopping for a re-entry bike about 6 years ago, the naked SV was at the top of my list. I had a very limited budget and I never found one in my price range so I ended up with my Bandit.

I was without a bike from around 1986 to 2007 so I can relate to the re-entry issue. Everything operating related came back to me within a week or so. What made me go with the naked version was the fear that my L5/S1 fusion would bother me if clip-on sportbike style bars like the S model came with were involved.

I had a Ducati budget (a side benefit of being a 54 year old "empty nester") and my wife's blessing to spend the $$$, but again was concerned about how the back would handle riding after the long break. So I chose the SV650 rather than jump into deeper financial water without knowing I could handle riding again. She still kids me for not buying the Ducati.

After more than 7,000 miles in a little over a year I am really pleased with the SV650. It's fast enough to stay interesting and I look forward to each ride.

Paladin

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Yep Ive got my 07' gsxr600 and I HATE winter. I also hate spring but thats only cause I have bad allergies and its hard to ride a bike when your eyes and nose are leaking :green: Also got asked to join a friends team and race at VIR and Summit point but I cant afford it right now :sigh:

I LOVE the new track at NJMP (Especially Thunderbolt)..Im signing up for CCS..Should be fun..

Chuck289

Enlightened
I ride a dual sport. I do ride less in the winter but it doesn't stop me entirely. My gear will keep me warm into the mid-high 30s. I like riding in the rain though.