Thrunite Catapult DOA

Taclight

Newly Enlightened
I just received my thrunite catapult in the mail. But before I even had a chance to use the light, I noticed that the little dome that sits on top of the emitter had fallen off. So I'm sending the light back. The light still turned on, however, I must say that I was rather disappointed with how bright it was. Will a new light without a missing dome be a lot brighter, or was I expecting too much out of this light?

thebigu

Newly Enlightened
hi taclight

ive the catapult and i compared it to some other thorwers wich ive owned m2cx4/tiabloa9/some costum mag mods
its a really nice thrower and from my personal feeling bright as the eagletac and it throws easly the same distance

greetings from germany

binow
thebigu
michael

stallion2

Enlightened
I just received my thrunite catapult in the mail. But before I even had a chance to use the light, I noticed that the little dome that sits on top of the emitter had fallen off. So I'm sending the light back. The light still turned on, however, I must say that I was rather disappointed with how bright it was. Will a new light without a missing dome be a lot brighter, or was I expecting too much out of this light?

once you have it all put together w/out any damaged parts you'll by happy you have it. there is one tiny aspect you'll have to watch for w/ this light and it sounds like you already have. it is possible to tighten the head down too far. the bottom of your reflector will push down on that plastic cover and the internals and can cause the dome to pop off. you're not the first, it happened to me about a month after i received mine. however the output on mine wasn't that badly compromised. the reflector can also get pushed in from the bottom a little from overtightening, mine did this also but has had no noticeable effect. even if it happened after having used the light they'll still send you a replacment SST-50 & housing.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
agreed, contact thrunite and they should take care of you. they are regulars here and have listened to comments and made changes to the catapult during its debut. hows that for customer service?
i have one and it is my favorite light at the moment. i also have the fenix tk 40 and when i take my puppy out for her er ahh potty duty, i grab the catapult. it is built like a brick shthouse and i would not want to be on the receiving end of it if i ever had to thump someone with it.:twothumbs

Taclight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone think that there is a quality issue with the Thrunite Catapult and it's just a matter of time or chance before your dome pops off even if you don't mess with tightening the head? Or did I just happen to be very unlucky this one and only time.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone think that there is a quality issue with the Thrunite Catapult and it's just a matter of time or chance before your dome pops off even if you don't mess with tightening the head? Or did I just happen to be very unlucky this one and only time.

Without tightening the head to hard, they're fine. Early on, I accidentally tightened the head too much on a couple of the test Catapults that I have, and they're ok. The new versions (on the way now) have a larger opening in the reflector to prevent contact with the LED dome.

stallion2

Enlightened
Without tightening the head to hard, they're fine. Early on, I accidentally tightened the head too much on a couple of the test Catapults that I have, and they're ok. The new versions (on the way now) have a larger opening in the reflector to prevent contact with the LED dome.

HA!!!! CASE-IN-POINT! Super Jay to the rescue...again.
thats who i got mine from, he talked me through the tightening issue when it happened to mine. there was one thing i did that should lessen the chance it happens again.

Washerbtwheademitterhousing.jpg

originally i had found that the beam sharpens even more if you thread the head out 2-3 turns from where it normally rests. the washer was to provide resistance so that the head wouldn't move on its own w/out being tightened all the way down. it works as well as i could've hoped, but when i was taking beamshots for comparison i took it out, put the head on as normal and thats when my dome popped off. beyond that the light is damn near perfect.

stallion2

Enlightened

:huh2:
i don't know how i missed that last part of your statement the first time i read it. i still haven't tried to push my reflector's bottom flat like i had mentioned to you i might try, but i haven't eliminated it as a possibility either. this "new version".....are we talking about just the reflector or is the entire light being given some revisions?

@Olef:
its kinda weird how those simple innovations can boost morale...i just wish i had invented the 'piston drive' that McGizmo cooked up. THAT is something which even now causes my jaw to drop. i wish all of my lights worked that way.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
olef,
whats the size oring (washer) you used for the spacer? i wanna try that on mine. thanks :thumbsup:

Olef

Newly Enlightened
olef,
whats the size oring (washer) you used for the spacer? i wanna try that on mine. thanks :thumbsup:

Hopefully Stallion2 will tell us what size O ring he used (please), would be most helpful :thumbsup:

Olef

Olef

Newly Enlightened
Update, I found an O ring to be too thick on mine. I cut a shim washer out of thin black card and it works perfectly. Thanks again for the idea!

(O ring size - a Maglite O ring is close enough in diameter to work if you have an old body kicking about)

Olef

rokspydr

Newly Enlightened
Am I the only one that think its rediculous that a company would sell these lights with this design flaw? was there not one person in the factory that tightened the head and had this happen to. I want to buy this light but am slightly nervous.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:huh2:
i don't know how i missed that last part of your statement the first time i read it. i still haven't tried to push my reflector's bottom flat like i had mentioned to you i might try, but i haven't eliminated it as a possibility either. this "new version".....are we talking about just the reflector or is the entire light being given some revisions?

Just the reflector. :)

stallion2

Enlightened
i don't have an exact size, the labeled bag is long gone but i'm sure there are several sizes that would be fine. i measured the OD at 1.31" (33.3mm) and thickness at 0.125" (3.2mm). its just meant to be a buffer, not a rigid stop.

Am I the only one that think its rediculous that a company would sell these lights with this design flaw? was there not one person in the factory that tightened the head and had this happen to. I want to buy this light but am slightly nervous.

look at Xtar's Howitzer if you want to see how bad it can really get.
these things happen, if there was a perfect flashlight then this forum would likely not exist. i'd say that any mfg who made a light w/ this quality should be proud...plus this is only Thrunite's 2nd offering. i've yet to hear of anyone having to purchase another emitter...they've all been replaced for free and like flashcrazy said, they've already revised the design. Thrunite has stepped up, accepted responsibility and has taken the steps to fix it. THAT kicks ***:thumbsup: i'm anxious to see what they come up w/ next...i'll definitely buy more of their products in the future.

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
I'm also planning to buy the Catapult. I've been rather preoccupied but i'm glad that I waited a while. Thrunite will treat you rite!!!
They actually proved their customer service credentials (IMHO) while the Catapult was in its formative stages; in that they actually listened to potential customers. The catapult is an excellent light (I know others that have one); but I'm still without one as yet. I sure hope that Thrunite gat their poop together and continue to develop relationships with customers and also: figure out some creative solutions to the flashlight doldrums.

The Catapult is a milestone in flashlight form and function. "Built like a brick-shithouse" is true; and we like it that way. A Kydex holster, with strong D-ring and 1000D Cordura strap; unbeatable!!!!

C'mon Thrunite; nobody else is gonna do it for you!!! The future is bright for Chinese and U.S. relations; bank on it!!!!!

Olef

Newly Enlightened

It's not at all ridiculous because this is a brand new product. Don't forget these have only been in the shops for a few weeks and design flaws happen in engineering. I have a Catapult and I would say to anyone go for it. The light is worth every penny, and as for the reflector issue ThruNite have shown themselves to be a top quality manufacturer and as far as I know have sorted every problem as soon as reported.

I love the light, and with the way it is designed with the light engine completely unscrewable I can see upgrades for future better emitters being available for it.

I only have a small collection of top quality lights from Olight, Eagletac, Nitecore and 4Sevens so far but the Catapult is second to none. It is, as has already been remarked, built like the proverbial and I'm really looking forward to the accessories for it and for the next ThruNite product. :twothumbs

Olef

Olef

Newly Enlightened
edit...thanks for the tip olef. i had an old maglite hanging around and used the oring from it and worked fine. it tightened the beam ever so slightly. does using the oring trick make the light less waterproof? i hope not.

Glad it helped, I would imagine it would make the light more water resistant as it is an extra sealing point...

stallion2

Enlightened
edit...thanks for the tip olef. i had an old maglite hanging around and used the oring from it and worked fine. it tightened the beam ever so slightly. does using the oring trick make the light less waterproof? i hope not.

Glad it helped, I would imagine it would make the light more water resistant as it is an extra sealing point...

as long as its kept snug it should create a better seal. the OE seal on that collar makes a simple contact seal around the inner wall of the light's head. once threaded on to where the head can no longer wiggle, the resistance that OE ring provides against pressure undergoes little change as you continue to screw it down. the additional one you placed in that groove around the emitter housing's collar acts as a pressure seal meaning that its performance is directly related to how tightly the head is screwed down. it works the same way as the seals you find on a Pelican dry box or underwater camera & camera housing. its contact is on the bottom edge of the head, not inside of it like the OE seal. the most susceptible parts to water leakage is at the switch and lense w/ nearly all lights...same here w/ or w/out the extra Oring.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
as long as its kept snug it should create a better seal. the OE seal on that collar makes a simple contact seal around the inner wall of the light's head. once threaded on to where the head can no longer wiggle, the resistance that OE ring provides against pressure undergoes little change as you continue to screw it down. the additional one you placed in that groove around the emitter housing's collar acts as a pressure seal meaning that its performance is directly related to how tightly the head is screwed down. it works the same way as the seals you find on a Pelican dry box or underwater camera & camera housing. its contact is on the bottom edge of the head, not inside of it like the OE seal. the most susceptible parts to water leakage is at the switch and lense w/ nearly all lights...same here w/ or w/out the extra Oring.
nice. i was very concerned about leakage since im in the northwest and it's always wet in winter and i do use it alot and it's been getting rained on. i feel better. :D