Just Got a new JetBeam RRT-0 Second Run

andrewnewman

Enlightened
I'll report back when I have finished more tests but right out of the box I can report two things of interest:

1. This unit tail stands with absolutely no wobble.

2. I tested 5 brand new primary lithium CR123 batteries (two Duracell and three 4Sevens). None of them displayed the well documented cell type confusion and the batteries all worked in every mode right from the first click.

Bass

Enlightened
Thanks, good news about the 123 primary issue. Do you have any pictures of the RRT-0 you can post? I'm wondering if they have re-designed the tail or now use a flat rubber clicky cover - does the light do momentory on or is it now a reverse clicky?

andrewnewman

Enlightened
It's a forward clicky and the rubber cover is rounded (similar to first run). I'll try to get pictures but it *appears* to be largely identitcal to the first run physically. It does do momentary on but it is a little sensitive in that it is pretty easy to accidentally click it.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Tint is typical for a good CREE R2. Cool white with no pronounced blues or greens. Definitely not a warm tint. I have no insight into Jetbeams plans

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Ok. Got about ~27 minutes on a fully charged AW RCR123. Registered about 24 minutes on an Ultrafire RCR123. Light got warm but not hot.

ViewScapes

Newly Enlightened
Hey, Andrew,

This is good news - thanks for posting. I have one coming and am happy to hear the primaries work well. Any word on the pre-flash issue, which I understand is also fixed in this run? I know one working light doesn't totally answer the question ... but one that fails kinda does ...

Thanks,
george

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Despite all of the "usual" things one can do to generate a pre-flash I have been unable to generate *even one* instance of preflash at all. I know I have posted only good news. I promise if I find something new that represents genuine bad news i will update this thread. This is about as happy as I have been with a flashlight.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Got it from bugoutgearusa. I made a point of ordering the OP reflector and the AA extender. The beam is flawless with no CREE rings whatsoever. Flavio was very supportive when I had delivery delay questions and his information was right on target. Highly recommended.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the news!!!!

good ones indeed.mine shipped 4 days ago.can´t wait to try this beauty!!

andrewnewman

Enlightened
So perhaps someone can enlighten me on one RRT-0 design feature that I don't understand. By turning the ring all the way counterclockwise you select either "low" or "low-low". The choice "latches", however, and is remembered after you turn the flashlight off. It is even remembered if you take the battery out for hours on end!

The light seems to use a mechanical forward clicky to physically disconnect the power source from the electronics. Where exactly is this "state" saved? Seems unlikely it would write to flash memory each time you perform the selection.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Where exactly is this "state" saved? Seems unlikely it would write to flash memory each time you perform the selection.

Many small processors has a EEPROM that can take more than 100000 writes, maybe even 10000000 writes, not something you wear down easily.

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
andrewnewman,

If low isn't low enough, you just click to the next higher position(one click) and back. And it's in low-low, looks like it'll last a long time in that mode but it's enough light for a minimum illumination usage.

Just got my RRT-0 and I'm impressed. Bugout has a good CPF discount!
.7-4.2 volt input for many battery types.(AA's are everywhere in an apocalypse)
Super throw beam with smooth reflector, concentric lines are really no problem.
And the low-low is kinda nice if ya fall in a hole or sumthin' and don't know when help is coming. :thinking:

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I also just ordered one of these from bugoutgear. I know there have been complaints about the pocket clip, so I'm a little concerned about that. Has the clip been improved at all?

Bass

Enlightened
So perhaps someone can enlighten me on one RRT-0 design feature that I don't understand. By turning the ring all the way counterclockwise you select either "low" or "low-low". The choice "latches", however, and is remembered after you turn the flashlight off. It is even remembered if you take the battery out for hours on end!

Turn the ring to low, back up two positions and then back to low again. This activates the low-low mode. It has a memory, as you say. This is not new though, I have a first run RRT-0 and it does the same.

I'd be interested to see a picture of the 'no wobble' with a rounded tail cover, if you got one :eek:oo:

Free

Enlightened
Got two of the new batch myself, and so far so good. No problems yet with primaries, and no pre-flash, that I can see.

shinank

Newly Enlightened
I have had mine for about a week and a half. I also could not reproduce the pre flash.

Bass

Enlightened
Got two of the new batch myself, and so far so good. No problems yet with primaries, and no pre-flash, that I can see.

I have a first run version and it has no 'pre-flash'. It does have the annoying 'fresh primary' issue though. :shakehead

andrewnewman

Enlightened
The much-maligned clip is the same design as the first run but they seem to have manufactured them better so they fit straight on the barrel. They are still stamped stainless steel with stamping and forming machine marks on them. Really not up to the standards of the light itself.

To be fair the clip seems secure and I am using it. Just wish it was "prettier".