Got my ThruNite P60 XP-G.. Now the Bad News

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
I bought this from batteryjunction and just got it today, I'm using it to put into my old surefire G2. So, I swapped out the old drop in and put the new XP-G in there. Put 2 fresh 16340 Li-ion batteries (which work fine on my LumaPower D mini VX Ultra). However, I screw it all together and it does not light up.

This is my first drop in and I'm guessing I must be missing a step or two. Any ideas what I've done wrong? Is there anything with the G2 body that may be missing/wrong that would cause it not to work. The original bulb had burned out so I don't even know if the flashlight worked before hand, but it seems to be just a body since all the hardware is in the ThruNight drop in.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many aftermarket drop-ins have contact issues with the Surefire G2. The G2 uses a metal sleeve insert for the ground path, and many of the drop-ins end up with poor contact to the sleeve. You can try a little bit of aluminum foil to help the contact, but be careful that the foil doesn't short the sleeve with the positive (center) spring on the drop-in, or the positive battery contact.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You aren't going to want to run that type of LED in a plastic housing for more than a few minutes anyway because of lack of thermal heat sinking/transfer issues. The plastic housing will not help to transfer heat away from the LED module. This is been covered many times. The G2 is the last host type you want to use for a medium to high powered LED module.

Your current problem is a contact issue as has already been stated. There is only a small portion of that plastic housing surface that has metal on it to make contact and its designed for the smaller diameter springs of the original SF equipment.

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
Thank you tekno_cowboy and flash crazy. Sure enough, the spring was slightly too big so it didn't make contact. After about 10 min of bending the spring with some pliers I got it to match the OE spring perfectly and it lit right up. I'm very happy with the brightness and color of the led.

As for thermal issues, it will be interesting to see how it holds up. My EDC is a LumaPower D mini VX ultra so this one will be more for emergencies or as a backup light.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you tekno_cowboy and flash crazy. Sure enough, the spring was slightly too big so it didn't make contact. After about 10 min of bending the spring with some pliers I got it to match the OE spring perfectly and it lit right up. I'm very happy with the brightness and color of the led.

As for thermal issues, it will be interesting to see how it holds up. My EDC is a LumaPower D mini VX ultra so this one will be more for emergencies or as a backup light.

It might not hold up very long.:crackup: Prior to CPF days I build a G2 OD green for my buddy who crawls in attics to install security cameras..

Bottom line his P60 R2 drop-in was high mode only and didn't last very long. It is not much more to just purchase a Solarforce L2 hosts or 6P that I would say you go for the metal hosts.

bigC