Jetbeam Jet-III Pro St - (Cool)R2 or (Warm)Q3-5A Which One?

Zeusdafreak

Newly Enlightened
I have decided to order the Jetbeam Jet-III Pro St but I don't know which of the two I should get. I have already ordered the Jetbeam M1X and its on the way. Now I want a second daily carry light and picked the Jet-III Pro St.

Could someone help me determine the difference between the two? I cannot seem to locate via search any comparison statistics between them. I would like to know others opinions as to personal preferences but some testing or data comparisons along with some photos of beam comparisons would be cool too. I know there are already posts here about this but darned if I can find them.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Little bit of searching doesn't hurt :D.

For example take a look at this thread. Some people like the warm tint and some like the cool tint. Just out of curiosity I modded my EX10 early last year with a Q3-5A. And I didn't liked it very much. But after some time I learnt to love the neutral-warm tint. So just try it, nobody can tell you wether you'll like it or not :D.

rayman

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice choice with the jet lll pro st. im sure youll love the size and form of it. not small in your hands but just small enough to fit in your front pocket comfortably. really easy to carry, looks really nice.

as for warm or cool, the jetbeams usually have a very white color tint. just received my rrt-0 last night, and its a very white tint. i dont mind white, and anything warmer. what i don't like is blue/purple lights.
the warmer tint isnt as bright because of the Q3 led. but some find the warm tint more useful, it also should be better in fog and rain, discussed in another more recent trend.

personally i like warmer tint, but its not a deal breaker for me. cause im a output whore.:twothumbs

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
it all boils to a personal choice, some swear by white, others by warm/neutral.

Indoors, i find that white makes it easier to locate stuff, e.g. the glint of a tiny metal part on a carpet shows up better using white than warm (at least to my eyes) while outdoors, warm seems to 'penetrate' undergrowth better.

Zeusdafreak

Newly Enlightened
I have read a lot about the subject of cool vs. neutral vs. warm. I believe I understand as best I can without actually being able to compare these two choices I have. Could those of you who do have either direct knowledge of these particular emitters or at least experience with various quality lights comment on whether there will be a perceivable "brightness difference" and if so how much between them? I think I should be getting the warm for my application but would hate to be sacrificing "brightness" for it. I guess I think I am letting the bragging rights side of me outweigh the practical side. I really don't know at this point. Either way I plan to order one or the other tonight so it can ship on Monday. Decisions Decisions. WOOF!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read a lot about the subject of cool vs. neutral vs. warm. I believe I understand as best I can without actually being able to compare these two choices I have. Could those of you who do have either direct knowledge of these particular emitters or at least experience with various quality lights comment on whether there will be a perceivable "brightness difference" and if so how much between them? I think I should be getting the warm for my application but would hate to be sacrificing "brightness" for it. I guess I think I am letting the bragging rights side of me outweigh the practical side. I really don't know at this point. Either way I plan to order one or the other tonight so it can ship on Monday. Decisions Decisions. WOOF!

take a look at my decidedly amateurish comparison between white and warm between the Romisen RC N3 II Q5 and RC N3 warm white single mode.

you will lose some lumens using warm but i believe its more than made up for by better color rendition IMHO while others will go no way, bright is right!

think you got to decide for yourself which would be better for your uses. And anyway, a warm LED will still be pretty darn bright and you have the programming ability to wow your friends with, i doubt they have seen a light that can be programmed.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you need more brightness, you always have the M1X :twothumbs

last month i purchased 2 zebralights h501, one in warm and the other in cool. after comparing them indoors and outdoors, i kept the warm for myself and wrapped up the cool as a christmas gift.:naughty:

the cool was rated at 98 lumens i think. and the warm was about 10 to 15 lumens less. outdoors the brightness difference was easily noticeable. but at the same time, the objects from the warm tint was more defineable, and easier to the eyes. (this light is only good up to 20 feet by the way, because its a flood light).

in defense of "cool tint", the zebralight was little on the blueish/purplish side of tint, which i dont like. all in all i love my zebralight. and dont regret keeping the warm tint version.

Zeusdafreak

Newly Enlightened
I chose the Warm version. Ordered it last night. I used the same logic. I will have the M1X and the warm version of the Jet-III Pro ST to choose from, both with very different properties. I think I will be happy with them but we shall see. I also ordered the Pila charger with the Aw 2200mah batteries. I should be set with a good starter kit for my new collcection of quality lighting.

Hopefully I can get some of the local Streamlight groupies to take notice. LOL

hoongern

Enlightened
As mentioned - it all boils down to personal preference. I like both :)

Do remember though that the WCs and 5As [neutral white] would have the same color rendition. Only the really warms (probably 7As above) have better CRI. Although neutrals/warms can potentially still work better outdoors, even with the same CRI.

Zeusdafreak

Newly Enlightened
Where could I find CRI's for these? Is there a chart out there somewhere that lists a bunch of different ones with their respective CRI's?

BTW, I got my M1X in last night. WOW. What can I say? My neighborhood isn't big enough to even test the throw. I gotta go further out of town to see what it will really do. I can see to both ends of the street. I'm very pleased so far with it. What a light!

dom

Enlightened
Hi Hoongern
Please don't go confusing people with CRI - it is a nice thing to have
but the lumen loss and price compared to just getting a warmer tint LED may not be
worth whatever benefits gained.

BTW - There is no comparison between a WC and 5A LED. You can see things much clearer with a 5A and it makes colors look much better.

Nice lot of info here
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156772

Cheers
Dom

hoongern

Enlightened
Hi Hoongern
Please don't go confusing people with CRI - it is a nice thing to have
but the lumen loss and price compared to just getting a warmer tint LED may not be
worth whatever benefits gained.

Hi Dom,

I'm not trying to confuse anyone with CRI here. I'm just saying that neutrals and cools have the same CRI, so whatever you get, it's just down to preference of tint, and of course whether you want to lose those lumens. A person who is trying to decide between WC and 5A should know the differences/similarities, and CRI happens to be one of them.

WC CCT: 6350-7000K CRI: 75 (In this case, brighter R2 bin)
5A CCT: 4000-4300K CRI: 75 (In this case, not-so-bright Q3 bin)

(Source: XR-E documentation, page 2):

BTW - There is no comparison between a WC and 5A LED. You can see things much clearer with a 5A and it makes colors look much better.

Nice lot of info here
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156772

Cheers
Dom

I must emphasize that this is tint/usage preference. For the record, I personally like neutral tints - and I know many people who do, but also many who don't. What makes colors look richer and true to nature, however, is CRI. A neutral tint does have a slight upper hand on rendering reds, but still has the same CRI as cools.

So, look up the different tints and see which looks nice to you, and get it.

(edit: I hope this didn't come across wrongly. Let me know if it did and I will try and word things differently, or if my information is wrong. But I strongly believe that tint is all personal preference, not that neutral is better than cool)

Last edited: