Optimus is Dead - Need New Heir

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I talked to SureFire and they said the Optimus Ua2 is definitely dead. I sold my U2 in anticipation of it coming out. :whistle:

I still want the Optimus. Since SF refuses to sell me one, where can I get a light that comes close to it.

1. Variable brightness that can be changed while it is off.
2. Focusable, flood to spot
3. Disorienting strobe
4. 2 - at least 200 lumens
5. Fuel Gauge
6. U2 style clip

I will even go the custom route, I want it soooo baaad.
I may choke on the price, but I will start selling things if I have to.

I am also thinking, that we have many talented custom makers. Maybe we can get a small run of these if there is enough interest.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really mourn the Optimus too. I think the optical system will be very hard to duplicate if you want full flood to spot with nice even beams at every adjustment in-between. Some of the DX focusing lights have a nice flood with an aspheric spot, but in between the extremes have nasty ringed beams with lots of prism effect color splitting. Coast makes some too, but I have only seen one 7-emitter one outside on a bright day. Some of the DX optical issues can possibly be corrected with either a diffuser over the optic or under it, but for a clean spot you will need new optics. I think a two optic system will be required.
I just did a review of three ring controlled lights (see "Three Ring Circus" in reviews section). The three are the U2, NiteCore SR3, and Jet RRT-0. It would be easiest for a modder to start with a light with the control ring like these or the RRT-1 or RRT-2. One of those has some focusing too, but I think it is also limited. There is only so much you can do with a reflector. An optic system can do a lot more, but nobody makes one yet with a good beam over the full range of focusing.
Then have Milky or somebody with Mad circuitry skills make a new driver that still reads the magnet positions, including one spot for strobe.
Then you ahve to build in that focusing system with a custom bezel and appropriately chosen optics. Milkyspit makes the Creemator with spot to 'larger spot' focus adjustment using just the KX optic, but it is not 100% smooth and doesn't go anywhere near full flood.
The fuel gauge will be tough, but maybe a single colored LED coming on at lower battery voltage could be at least an indicator. Or an RGB to change color, but more complex.
For the clip, either use the U2 as your host or machine an adapter to add it to the other two.
Walaa! somewhere north of $1200 and it could be yours.

Last edited:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I've heard good things about the Coast P14 ability to focus and flood with a decent beam. It doesn't look too bad in
this video. 3:50-4:00 & 7:30-7:43 I won't be White Wall Hunting. I will be using it in the real world. They also have one that focuses by turning, called the Tactical Focus Beam.

I know the Optimus didn't have a perfect beam. I am not looking for perfect. I want a jack-of-all-trades light. Does nothing perfect, but does a few things well enough.

I looked at the Three Ring Circus Thread. If I were to start with a host, it would be the U2. I would then have to find a machinist to make a focusable head based on the Coast Tactical Focus Beam.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting ideas!

Yes, I was sad too when the Ua2 died. And the Invictus is supposedly coming but broke my heart long ago...

But Onward! This seems doable. The only part I don't know about is the fuel gauge since I haven't seen that much.

4sevens has some mega lights coming soon... the S1200 is my current darling but one of the new lights is supposed to have a control ring-like interface...
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2362520&postcount=733
Originally Posted by 4sevens
Yes, almost like a selector ring but not. The head rotates and changes
positions every 90 degrees. We purposely did not make a mechanical "click"
feedback. It is a tactical light after all. The 4 positions will be Primary, Secondary, Backup 1, Backup 2. The first two positions (tightened, and immediate loosed) will be the primary modes used. The other two following the Secondary are auxiliary positions that will be either less likely used (special modes) or will be used in lower light situations.

Switching between two sets of outputs allows for 8 modes total. The first
set just has outputs from high to moonlight. The second set has max and strobo for it's primary and secondary and then SOS and beacon for the backup positions. Got all that?

I think Fred (Photon Fanatic) would be the guy to talk to on this, but also Rob from Lummi is working on some insanely cool stuff here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/258407

Sabrewolf is always working on cool stuff as well though he does not usually do focusable things... that's the hard part here...

Hmmm...

Last edited:

stallion2

Enlightened
OUCH!!!
dropping that light before securing a replacment....no wonder you're about to pull your hair out. i can't imagine that any other single light matches those 6 requirments you posted, i've not seen any. if i were you i would just start humping the hell out of the SF site's dealer locater. then again SF may have recalled the remaining lights...i'm sure you would know more about this than i do. isn't SF working on a light they call the UB2 or UB3 as their next big thing?

...and maybe its just the noob in me showing but what is the deal w/ SF the last couple of years? it seems like they're jumping from one project to another in an almost reckless fashion. is this just a result of them trying to keep a step or two ahead of the chinese mfg's?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet, we have a donor for focusing optics. Machine an adapter to the U2 head (need to keep the ring part) and we are partway there. for tactical, I'd use some of their older(?) twist focusing though. Less chance of recoil or other hits changing focus. What one has a 30mm head/optic system?
I've heard good things about the Coast P14 ability to focus and flood with a decent beam. It doesn't look too bad in
this video. ... If I were to start with a host, it would be the U2. I would then have to find a machinist to make a focusable head based on the Coast Tactical Focus Beam.

Actually, for myself I would be thrilled with just that. The fuel gage is cool and all, but a U2A upgraded with XP-G and focusable optic would be the ultimate 18650/2xCR123 light for me.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I've been looking at custom makers and their creations. Data and McGizmo would be my choices for a custom light, if it comes to it. Out of all the makers, they make as many pieces as possible and are most likely to be able to deal with the complexity of a Ua2.

I would be content if I got a focusable twist head on the U2. I would have posted a video of the Coast Tactical Focus Beam, but they weren't much different from the P14 and being a lot smaller, the beam change was covered by the user's hand. They also had the wall too close to get a good idea of its focus/defocus ability.

I have been thinking a lot about the LED. Way, way before today. I got very doable ideas. One is expensive. Stealing an LED from flashlight.(the company does not sell just the LEDs AFAIK) The other requires some testing to make sure it works.

Of course we have to have rechargeable batteries. It will be IMR. Whether it is 18650 for time, or 2 x 16340(123) for more current.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
No clip, no adjustable level whilst powered down, but this comes pretty close;

007 Tri V

:crackup: I sent Data a PM about an hour ago, asking him to check out this thread. I was thinking that the 007 Tri V would be nice. I've fondled it for a total of ten minutes at Milk's. I really like it, especially because you can program it, feels great in the hand, is intuitive to use, etc. But it does not fit a few specifics of my wants and needs.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What LED are you looking for? I know where to find just about all of them - mostly here on CPF, but I have a list of stores where I can find SSC, Cree, Luxeon, etc.
I have been thinking a lot about the LED. Way, way before today. I got very doable ideas. One is expensive. Stealing an LED from flashlight.(the company does not sell just the LEDs AFAIK) The other requires some testing to make sure it works.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have my old U2 with a Lux5 in it!

A little trivia; the U2 is the reason that the SPY lights have 6 power levels. :whistle:

Cheers
Dave

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Data/Dave - I have been working hard on this. If I sent you my thoughts (it is in MS Word) would you be willing to tell me if I am just crazy or stupid crazy? And how I can possibly bring this light to life.

Oh, and thanks for checking out this thread! :wave:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked to SureFire and they said the Optimus Ua2 is definitely dead. I sold my U2 in anticipation of it coming out. :whistle:

I still want the Optimus. Since SF refuses to sell me one, where can I get a light that comes close to it.

1. Variable brightness that can be changed while it is off.
2. Focusable, flood to spot
3. Disorienting strobe
4. 2 - at least 200 lumens
5. Fuel Gauge
6. U2 style clip

I will even go the custom route, I want it soooo baaad.
I may choke on the price, but I will start selling things if I have to.

I am also thinking, that we have many talented custom makers. Maybe we can get a small run of these if there is enough interest.

It is quite a shame that the project seems to be scraped.

This probably isn't quite the solution you were looking for, but here is an options for your "jack-of-all-trades" type light...

How about a SureFire U2, modded with a Cree XP-G emitter (maybe by milky?) with a SureFire FM64 flip-open beam diffuser?

1. Variable brightness that can be changed while it is off. Check.
2. Focusable, flood to spot Not quite, but able to go from spot to pure flood.
3. Disorienting strobe Sorry, nope.
4. 2 - at least 200 lumens Check.
5. Fuel Gauge Sorry, nope.
6. U2 style clip Check.

Just an idea. :)

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I have considered getting another U2 and putting in a new LED. But I want an optimus type light. Variable beam and variable intensity. I refuse to let the dream die.

So back on topic; Who do recommend to do the circuitry and programming?