Headlamp for flying

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a headlamp to use when flying. I need a medium intensity red light and would also like a very low intensity white light. The red light would be used mainly as a backup in case of panel light failure, and the white light for reading charts when the red light won't show enough detail. A very important feature is the ability to turn the red light directly on without first turning on a white light of any intensity. As for the white light, it should be possible to turn it on at a low level without stepping through a high level first. These are to prevent destroying night vision adaptation, which can take tens of minutes to recover, and to not be distracted by fiddling with multiple button presses or having to cover up a bright light while stepping through brightness levels.

I have small flashlights that do ok, and I can probably find some kind of head band for them. But does a headlamp exist that has these characteristics?

c_c

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Photon Fusion (of several years ago)... had 1 red/5 white LED's.

Don't remember how the UI works tho ... not sure if you could turn the red on first ?

But that's the only one I can think of right now . (red & white)

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seem to be quite a few on the market that have both red and white LEDs. But I haven't found one that seems to have both a very low white and the ability to turn red on first.

c_c

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Browning NightSeeker (and NightSeeker Pro) cap lights with red and white LEDs. Red comes on first.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
C_C .... update ,

I just found and tested my old Photon Fusion Headlamp with new batteries.

If you press and hold the left button , the red LED comes on first (on low)... then continues to ramp up to HI , then blinks once to signify red is at full brightness.

But keep in mind ... the one red LED is not really very bright .

etherealshade

Enlightened
I can't remember the exact operation as I don't own one, but have you looked at the Petzl E+Lite? That might suit your purposes, and it's very compact.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebra light makes awesome headlamps, intuitive UI that will do low output first. They sell a 'red' model. I suspect it will be bright enough on high...

Beyond that, keep a light handy in the shoulder pocket. I can't think of any that'll do red primary and low white back-up.

I earned my wings in 1996

**interesting to note - for the 'red not effecting night vision' to hold, it has to be low enough intensity that you only register the dim red light as a grey. By the time its bright enough for the red to be distinguishable you're bleaching your rods and losing addapted vision. Even split whether there is actually any difference red /vs/ white at low intensity. People swear by each side.

Last edited: