Enlighten me - Liteflux LF2 vs LF5

alltracturbo

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at Fenix lights on their website and seen the E01. I thought it was great, a little light you could hang on your keychain or clip on your pocket. I was going to order once since there so cheap and I don't have much money to spend right now.

Then I seen the LD01 and I was hooked. Pretty much the same size, but it does so much more. It has so many advantages over the E01 that it is definetly worth the money and I was about to place an order when I came across the 4sevens Quark Mini AA in a thread here.

Then I contemplated all day yesterday between the Mini AA and the LD01. I like how small the LD01 is and I really like how it looks, but the Mini AA has a AA which will give longer run times and I really wanted the low 2.7 lumen mode. I just didn't know if I wanted the larger light for EDC.

Then I found the Liteflux LF2xt on here and that just blew all the others away. I don't like how the standard models look as much as the LD01 and can't afford the titanium, but thats beside the point, looks are the last thing I care about right now. It's all about the performance for now.

OK, now that I got all that out of the way, I decided I wan't either the LF2xt or the LF5xt. I'm trying to find out what advantage the LF5xt has over the LF2xt, if it is worth the extra money and size.

I really like the idea of having a AA for longer run times, but the light is much larger and I don't know if I can deal with that. Putting the size aside, what are you opinions on the two lights, pros and cons?

I've read these reviews on the lights, but I was looking for some other opinions.

http://www.light-reviews.com/liteflux_lf2_xt/

http://www.light-reviews.com/liteflux_lf5xt/

I'm not sure how lux works, but from those reviews it looks like the LF5xt is 3 times as bright. Is that true? I'd be interested if anyone has any beamshots or runtime comparisons.

How much brighter would the LF2xt be with the XP-G R5 upgrade? Can the LF5xt be upgraded with an R5?

Also, does anyone know anything about new lights coming out. If its soon I might wait for a new version.

Last edited:

KuKu427

Enlightened
The 5XT is a bigger light running a bigger cell.
Here is a comparison.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231855
There is no direct comparison of the 2XT with XP-G vs. 5XT.
But there is this.
P1050715.jpg

LF2XT XP-E
P1050716.jpg

LF2XT XP-G
The new LF5XT is in the works as we speak. Time of availability is still in a state of "Flux" depending several factors. If I tell you, LiteFlux will spank me again. :sssh:

Last edited:

alltracturbo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pictures.

I like how the colors look more natural in the EP-E, but I like the brightness of the XP-G. I also like how the XP-G is more gradual and doesn't put most of the light in a smaller hot spot.

Would there be any advantage of having the XP-E in a real world situation over the XP-G other than the colors being off?

Money is tight, but I do have a birthday coming up in 2 months. Maybe I can hold out till then and just maybe the new 5XT will be out. Still have to find out if the brightness and battery life are worth sacrificing the size. It's no good to me if I end up not having it with me when I need it b/c I decided it was too big to carry.

KuKu427

Enlightened
Actually a lot of people prefer to have the tint of the XP-E. But personally I'd go for bright. The hotshot is tighter with an XP-E but as you can see from the picture, it's simply overpowered by the XP-G.

I don't think you will find the new 5XT too hard to carry though. I can fit an AA light in my coin pocket if it's angled right and there is a significant battery life/power advantage in the AA format.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a tough call. Have you considered a small cr123 light like the mini123? I stayed away from 123's for a long runtime because of the battery cost and difficulty in finding them, but the size and brightness of them was too alluring and I had to give in. I have to say that as long as I buy the batteries online they aren't too expensive and if I really need one in an emergency I can usually find them even though I will pay dearly for it. However the 123 battery gives you greater brightness and runtimes than AA and is smaller. If you compare the mini 123 to the llf5xt, they are basically the same width yet the mini is 1.5 inches shorter! Even the mini123 is a little big for key carry though but it is workable, I took a bottle opener off my keyring to make room.

I think ultimately you need to decide if you want a keychain light or a pocket light. If the latter is the case a whole other bunch of lights can be considered too.

alltracturbo

Newly Enlightened
there is a significant battery life/power advantage in the AA format.
Do you have any battery life numbers on the 2XT vs the 5XT? I was wondering how long the 5XT would last on a lower brightness. The review I read only showed on full power and i'm not too interested in that. I'll probably end up using li-ion, but still have to look into that also.

alltracturbo

Newly Enlightened
It's a tough call. Have you considered a small cr123 light like the mini123? I stayed away from 123's for a long runtime because of the battery cost and difficulty in finding them, but the size and brightness of them was too alluring and I had to give in. I have to say that as long as I buy the batteries online they aren't too expensive and if I really need one in an emergency I can usually find them even though I will pay dearly for it. However the 123 battery gives you greater brightness and runtimes than AA and is smaller. If you compare the mini 123 to the llf5xt, they are basically the same width yet the mini is 1.5 inches shorter! Even the mini123 is a little big for key carry though but it is workable, I took a bottle opener off my keyring to make room.

I think ultimately you need to decide if you want a keychain light or a pocket light. If the latter is the case a whole other bunch of lights can be considered too.
I ruled out 123 light b/c I thought the diameter would be to large. That is all I realy care about. The length doesn't bother me much. I think I ruled out keychain also. I have an EDC knife clipped on the pocket I carry my keys in, so I don't wan't to add much more to that side and also don't wan't to get it all scratched up from the keys. I think it will be clipped on my left pocket, hopefully it won't have a problem with my phone.

The watch pocket (or change pocket), might work also depending on how big the light is.

Edit: The most important aspects that i'm looking for are size and battery life, then comes brightness. This is going to be an edc light and it will probably be used on lower power settings 90% of the time. I mostly wan't a light that I can keep on me at all times and i'll have if there is ever an emergency. I wan't something with a low power mode incase I need the light for a long period and don't have any backup batteries. Thats also why i'm not sure if I am going to run li-ion. I might run lithium primaries if they last longer and they work better in the cold. Thats a lot more research and maybe another thread after I buy a light. For example, there is a spot where I hike sometimes and it's about a 14 mile loop. It can be pretty dangerous around the cliffs, especially during the winter and I useually go on my own. If I ever got stranded there at night I would wan't something that I can turn down and conserver battery life. Thats why I like the idea of having a programmable light. I can set it wherever I feel gives me enough light while using the least ammount of battery.

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
My most used light is the LF2XT. Like you, I use the low mode most of the time and the LF2XT has a very low low, lower than the current LF5XT.
In terms of carriability, the LF2XT is easy to carry whether on a key chain or with a pocket clip. I carry them both ways with two of them with me most of the time. On my keychain LF2XT, I use a non-rechargable AAA lithium cell, for maximum battery life with no worry of overdischarge (in case it comes on accidentally), or corosion. It is my backup. In my pocket, I use a 104500 cell for maximum brightness, and the economy of having a rechargable cell. This light gets used most of the time. I also carry a LF3XT, but seldom need it.

Last edited:

Gatsby

Enlightened
If you are thinking about a pocket light I would probably consider the LF3XT over the LF5XT (current model) as the LF5XT has several features I'm not crazy about (that sharp bezel - ouch in the pocket - kind of large and the styling is not my favorite). The LF3XT is nice and compact and for a bit more width you get more power and capacity - it takes rechargeables so the cell cost for me is a non factor.

I do like the LF2XT but I got spoiled with the small size of the LF2 for key ring carry so it is a bit large for a keyring in my opinion - and if I'm using my pocket I'd rather have more power and capacity.

alltracturbo

Newly Enlightened
Oops, I guess I got them mixed up earlier when I said the review didn't have the lower runtimes on the 5XT. It's actually the 2XT that is missing the lower power runtimes.

Why does a Li-ion cell with only 750mAh last the same or longer than the 2000mAh NiMH eneloop on every power level under 100%? Shown here: http://www.light-reviews.com/liteflux_lf5xt/

Does anyone know how long it would last with a lithium primary (LF2XT or LF5XT)?

BabyDoc said:
My most used light is the LF2XT. Like you, I use the low mode most of the time and the LF2XT has a very low low, lower than the current LF5XT.
In terms of carriability, the LF2XT is easy to carry whether on a key chain or with a pocket clip. I carry them both ways with two of them with me most of the time. On my keychain LF2XT, I use a non-rechargable AAA lithium cell, for maximum battery life with no worry of overdischarge (in case it comes on accidentally), or corosion. It is my backup. In my pocket, I use a 104500 cell for maximum brightness, and the economy of having a rechargable cell. This light gets used most of the time. I also carry a LF3XT, but seldom need it.
If I could afford 2, I would already have one of each and wouldn't be having this discussion:awman:. I'm leaning towards the LF2XT since I think the LF5XT is just a little too big and would end up getting left behind. Maybe i'll get the LF2XT now and :santa: will bring me the LF5XT next christmas.

I'm thinking this b/c I have an Inova X5 which is almost the same diameter as the LF5XT (X5 .865", 5XT .80"). And it's 3/4 of an inch longer, so I can't tell pretty much how big it is going to be. I've had this light for a few years and I think I have only carried it twice. It mostly stayed in the car glovebox. It still has the original batteries in it.:(

Gatsby said:
If you are thinking about a pocket light I would probably consider the LF3XT over the LF5XT (current model) as the LF5XT has several features I'm not crazy about (that sharp bezel - ouch in the pocket - kind of large and the styling is not my favorite). The LF3XT is nice and compact and for a bit more width you get more power and capacity - it takes rechargeables so the cell cost for me is a non factor.
I personally don't really like the looks of either of the new lights (2XT or 5XT). I like the LD01 and also love the way the Inova X5 looks. It's a great light, but not very bright compared to todays standards.

The 3XT is out. I'm trying to keep the diameter as small as possible. I don't mind a bit of extra length, but the diameter takes up a lot of room when it is clipped on you pocket. And I don't like the looks of short fat lights either.

Oh man, I really cant make up my mind. After just deciding against the 5XT, i'm looking at the Inova X5 and taking 3/4 of an inch off the length and changing my mind again. Maybe it's not too big.:duh2:

Is there anything else that i'm missing that could make me wan't one more that the other? I think i'm going to have one of each by next year anyway. I have a motorcycle i'm trying to sell, if anyone in the northeast USA wants to buy it, it'll solve my financial difficulties.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd say wait for the new LF5XT before making up your mind between it and the LF2XT. I will probably be getting one, but I doubt it will push out my LF2XT. The little one sees most of my flashlight use now because it's small enough to always have in your pocket. Love the LF3XT, too, but its bulk is noticeable.

One you might consider while waiting is a Maratac AAA for a cheap but powerful and small little gem.

Geoff

Luckeie

Newly Enlightened
Hello alltracturbo!

I have both, the LF2XT and the LF5XT. The LF2XT is my favourite. I love her because the many features in so a little package. The LF2XT could tell you the voltage report in hundredth, the LF5XT only the tenth! I find this very informative. A tenth did not tell you enough in a emergency situation, where you could not quick change the battery.

And the low-low of the LF2XT is more lower as the low-low from the LF5XT. If you had the LF2XT, you would learn, that the low-low is the better end of the brightness range! ;-)

Excuse the bad english!

With friendly regards

Luckeie

Is there anything else that i'm missing that could make me wan't one more that the other? I think i'm going to have one of each by next year anyway. I have a motorcycle i'm trying to sell, if anyone in the northeast USA wants to buy it, it'll solve my financial difficulties.

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
If you can't wait for the new LF5XT buy the LF2XT.
If you buy the current version of the 5XT you will soon be disappointed when the new model is released. Also it is lacking features of the 2XT.
The 2XT is an amazing light. If you don't like it just post it on marketplace and it will disappear.
I had an issue with the voltage reporting on mine and EliteLED took care of it no problemo. Swapped the pill and I was back in business, they even gave me a 10% off coupon.
It contains a stunning amount of features and usefulness in such a tiny package.

CNR

Newly Enlightened
Like you, i couldn't decide, and finally got both of them, (LF2XT & LF5XT), if i had to give one back, that would be the LF5, it's a very good light, BUT, the LF2XT is exactly what a do-it-all light should be :

Small enough to always have it with you (very important)
Very bright for it's size with an Li-ion, which can be charged whenever you want, doesn't die in cold or self-discharge.
As versatile as it gets, as AA's are available even in central African villages, or in your kids' toys.
A spare primary Lithium in your pocket doesn't take practically any space at all and will last for many nights in low (15-30%) mode being bright enough for all general tasks.
Great tint, and allthough the LF5 has a more even beam, the LF2 throws great for it's size and all around character.
GREAT UI, actually 2 of them: a simple one for everyday use, and a five mode one on which you can program locator beacon, strobes or whatever you may need for your kind of activities.
3 min. auto-shut off, so you won't find batt dead when you need it because it accidentally went on in your pocket.
Runtime on Li-ion seems very good to me, but allthough i use it everyday that's only for short intervals of 1-2min., usually in 20-30% brightness, this way i get a full month before i usually charge it, while it still not empty.

OK, i wrote too much, but allthough it's not my "best" light, i consider it the most usefull (and most used) one.

alltracturbo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info. I have been leaning towars the LF2XT the entire time and you guys are all backing that up. I think i'm going to do what I said earlier and get the 2XT first and maybe the 5TX next year as a secondary light. That way I can take the 5XT if i'm doing something where I know i'm going to need it or have a higher chance of needing it than EDC.

Has anyone heard anything about a new LF2 model or is it just going to be the LF5? It would be nice if there was an update with the R5 emmiter stock and a new design. I like the looks of the LF2X better than the XT.

Also, can the LF2XT be run at 100% with li-ion for extended periods without doing damage? Will the heat shorten the life of the led? I probably wouldn't have any use for running at 100% for that long, but I was just wondering.

Last edited:

CNR

Newly Enlightened
Also, can the LF2XT be run at 100% with li-ion for extended periods without doing damage? Will the heat shorten the life of the led? I probably wouldn't have any use for running at 100% for that long, but I was just wondering.

Have never done it for the full capacity of the battery, in 6-7 deg. Celcius, after several minutes at 100% it only feels warm, that's all i know, but i can't think of any reason why i would need to run it for long at this level, my guess is that it wouldn't have any problem, but that's only a guess, if it worths anything. :)

Luckeie

Newly Enlightened
The difference between the LF2X and the LF2XT is big! The twist switch from the LF2X is worlds behind the soft switch from the LF2XT! The various commands of the Liteflux-series are much better to select with the LF2XT.

Has anyone heard anything about a new LF2 model or is it just going to be the LF5? It would be nice if there was an update with the R5 emmiter stock and a new design. I like the looks of the LF2X better than the XT.

bansuri

Enlightened
The difference between the LF2X and the LF2XT is big! The twist switch from the LF2X is worlds behind the soft switch from the LF2XT! The various commands of the Liteflux-series are much better to select with the LF2XT.
Not everyone agrees with that. Personally, I have no problem with the twisty action of the LF2 and LF2X. I therefore recommend that you buy one of each and decide for yourself!!!

LF2XT - LF2X - LF2 with awesome diffuser.

2ludtfl.jpg