Why no love for the Nitecor D10 SP?

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to decide on my first LED flashlight for EDC. I like the Quark AA R5 but it is back ordered. I like the Jetbeam Jet I Pro also. I keep coming back to the Nitecore D10 because I like the way it looks and I think the size is perfect. The only problem is that I can't find the older well liked ramping D10 anywhere online (besides on ebay from hong kong).

So besides the ramping feature, what makes the D10 SP not a hit compared to the older D10?

I never used the older D10 with the ramping so it is not like I will miss that feature.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez: joepa150...... again?

:crackup:

Anyway, the reason is because the ramping is well loved than anything short of wondrous will not match it.

T777

Newly Enlightened
Well i can not speak for everyone else on the forum but i personally believe that the D10 SP was a step backwards.

I really wanted a D10, but after they replaced it, I totally lost interest in the light. I wanted the light for the unique UI but the SP has a more generic simple UI that is too similar to other lights to make it special.

If they go back to making the normal D10, I would buy it with a heartbeat but I dont know if this will ever happen. :(

fannin

Enlightened
i have d10 r2 ramping version, i like it but it's not perfect

the sp version with 3 modes and sort of hidden strobe/sos looks better to me, you still get the nice low mode which i love on my d10 and the high/med modes are enough (maybe 1 more mode between med and high or a slightly higher medium would be better but i kind of see it as an upgrade to the ramping version)

it is advertised as being less bright than mine though, does it use a different led to my r2? that kind of puts me off

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
:ohgeez: joepa150...... again?

:crackup:

Anyway, the reason is because the ramping is well loved than anything short of wondrous will not match it.

Yep. Different day, different question (or kind of the same questions but reworded).

I just can't pull the trigger :banghead:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Easy.

How many lo-med-high lights are there out there ? Zillions.

How many lights with variable ramping activated from the tailcap ? Not many.

The D10 has gone from an outstanding light with a great distinguishing feature to a yawnorama one-of-a-crowd nothing-special-about-that sort of a light.

RIP Gladius :(
RIP D10 :( :(

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Easy.

How many lo-med-high lights are there out there ? Zillions.

How many lights with variable ramping activated from the tailcap ? Not many.

The D10 has gone from an outstanding light with a great distinguishing feature to a yawnorama one-of-a-crowd nothing-special-about-that sort of a light.

RIP Gladius :(
RIP D10 :( :(

So if you take away the ramping but keep everything remains the same (light output, runtime, reliability, quality, and looks), it goes from an awesome light to a ok light. I am assuming the the SP is pretty much identical except the ramping (I am sure that there are other differences but I have to reread a few posts).

T777

Newly Enlightened
So if you take away the ramping but keep everything remains the same (light output, runtime, reliability, quality, and looks), it goes from an awesome light to a ok light. I am assuming the the SP is pretty much identical except the ramping (I am sure that there are other differences but I have to reread a few posts).

From what ive read, that sounds about right

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes - awesome to OK.

But the point I was making is that it goes from awesome and different to OK and pretty much the same as Fenix, Quark and many others.

Now that may or may not be important to everyone, but for those of us who need/value the ramping feature, then the loss of choice is very disappointing.

fannin

Enlightened
don't have sp but i do like the new d10sp except that it's not (advertised as being) as bright as the old r2

it still has the piston: cool and durable
it still must be pretty much as bright as most multi mode 1xaa
it still must be one of the smallest/lightest multi lode 1xaa lights (why i bought my d10 originally)

still love the light but i have had issues with the ramping

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the main reason the D10 lost so much of its buzz, and the love people had for it was that, in most flashaholics eyes, the SP model went backwards. From an actual useability and functionality standpoint it was only a small step. But from a technological standpoint, which many flashaholics are keenly interested in, it was a much larger step. As was said above, it became one of many three modes lights to choose from, it lost its distinguishing feature.

I have been EDC'ing my D10 since I got it almost a year ago. I love its ability to deliver just the right amount of light in almost every situation indoors. Overall I love the light, it's the best EDC I ever had. However, I do sometimes wish there was a way I could access a medium level faster. It can take a long time to get to "just the right level" when all I need is some light in the medium range. Also, I sometimes press then press-hold expecting it to ramp in either direction, and it doesn't. So I need to press-hold again [and again]. Sometimes I want it to ramp, but press-holding takes me straight to high. Preset levels would take away that kind of minor frustration, so the SP model might not be so bad, especially if I could loose that knawing feeling that the light was going backwards.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Like others have said, the SP is a step backwards. Now it functions just like every other 1xAA light.

The old D10 was such a great EDC because it not only worked well, but it was a lot of fun to play with when bored, which is a very nice feature for an EDC.

T777

Newly Enlightened
Could it be possible that the designers for the nitecore lights are that disconnected from the community?

maybe we could do a group buy for a CPF version

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could it be possible that the designers for the nitecore lights are that disconnected from the community?

maybe we could do a group buy for a CPF version

No - they are aware and a special Tribute Edition is coming.
(I hope this reply is acceptable to the mods...)

Simon520

Newly Enlightened
The designers know just fine.

I emailed Nitecore directly and told them I'd buy the original ramping version in lots of 100 from any distributor if they'd remake it. I got no love from them. I found out about the Hong Kong guy really by accident and I would recommend him highly- the ramping SP versions are a nice olive color.

Good news on the "Tribute" edition. Maybe it will have an XP-G and ramping and the new piston and a non-black color with special optional colors/anodizing and a titanium bezel option and a complete factory Titanium version with factory trits in the tail and...:poke:

I think before I continue to trash the Non-Ramping SP version (NRSP) I should buy one and play with it. After all, my other EDC is a McGizmo Haiku and it only has 3 levels and there's no screaming for a ramping function.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking as an owner of three D10s. The original, the R2 Cree edition and the SP, there's more at stake than just the UI.

Of the UI, the wait between the level changes is a bit infuriating - if you are on low and want to go to high quickly, you have to wait whist it cycles through medium. Occasionally I go through the level I want by mistake - also annoying. I realize that on the ramping versions, it may also take time to ramp to the level you wish, and you do go through the right level and have to go back. But the fast double click to go to high is very satisfying - especially if you are used to the double clicking needed on a ARC +4 or HDS or Novatac or Ra Clicky, and familiar.

Also the feel of the redesigned piston is less good for me. The smaller o-ring seems to increase the pressure needed to make it work and is sluggish returning to the start position. I have tried re lubeing it, but still doesn't seem right.

In fact, I have swapped heads on my Q5 and SP versions to see wether I am happier with the feel of it. It does improve the piston travel, but not my liking of the UI.

I really tried to like this torch and EDCed it for weeks, but, eventually I have given up and the SP has now been relegated to bathroom night light duty. It does have great runtimes on low after all.

I will purchase a tribute edition, but lament the passing of this fantastic torch after so short a life.