Ok final decision, best EDC for me upto $100

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
Ok this is my final decision making post on what new EDC light I will be getting up to $100 worth. I've made a few posts and have gathered some useful information but stumbled recently on a few more lights that catch my eye.

My interests are a semi compact flashlight, the cell type doesn't, I would prefer it to have a smallish diameter head but length doesn't seem to be an issue 2AA would be fine. Although I don't really care for ultra tiny single CR123 lights as I'm going for optimal performance.

I'd like decent throw capability up to around 150 feet at most will be fine (more would be nicer but size will be an issue here) but also low enough output modes that doing close up work won't blind me with hot spots.

I'd like a memory function but that isn't 100% crucial to my purchase, I do like momentary on functionality and tail standing but a few of the lights I've been looking at don't tail stand I guess it won't matter that much

I'm a real nit picker when it comes to build quality lets just say I like nice things.

Also what is lock out function and is it really needed, I notice some don't have it.

Here are a few of the lights I've come across that catch my eye, I will consider others though so please make a suggestion if you have one.

Updated List.
- 4Sevens Quark 123/2 Tactical R5 (Like it's output modes, size and UI, wish it could tail stand)
- JetBeam Jet I Pro V3 and Pro EX V3 (like the design, seems to have very good claimed output and range, not really sure about what brightness modes it has)
- EagleTac P20C2 (just added to my list upon recommendation, appears to have great performance and throw while maintaining comparable size)

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
- 4Sevens Quark 123/2 Tactical R5 (Like it's output modes, size and UI, wish it could tail stand)
Buy a regular switch and swap it with the tactical. You now have a tactical Quark that tail-stands, but you will lose momentary on.

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
Get a L2P (about $37) from sbflashlights.com and a P60 drop-in of your choice, I'd recommned a Nailbender from here on CPF (SST-50?, about $50), and an AW 18650/2600 (lighthound.com, about $16). You'll be a happy camper. Oh, you'll need a WF-139 or similar charger (Lighthound has them for $18) also, so it'll be a bit over $100.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a regular switch and swap it with the tactical. You now have a tactical Quark that tail-stands, but you will lose momentary on.
+1.
I ordered my Quark Ti pieces (tactical head, 123 body, and REGULAR tail switch) for that very reason.

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
+1.
I ordered my Quark Ti pieces (tactical head, 123 body, and REGULAR tail switch) for that very reason.

Thanks for the heads up, looking at the site now.

EDIT:

The Ti's seem to be all sold out or not available for pre order yet, and I don't see the one you are talking about with the regular tail switch on the tactical head.

Last edited:

hotlight

Enlightened
I'd like to recommend the LF3XT with 2x AA tube..

only area it lacks in is throw, but makes up for it with the programmability/flexibility(ODP, Memory, voltage report, user defined levels/#of modes, etc.), and "beefiness".

great light but may not be for everyone.+ when I need a smaller light I just change the tube and throw in a 123battery.

tried the Quark x2 AA, broke(no modes, turbo or moon only) in 3-4months, hopefully I'll get it back sometime in March(10yr warranty but 2months to fix after they recieve the light might be something you want to consider when/if going with a quark). (was mostly running the single tube with 14500 tho)
had the LD20, didn't like the UI
the lf3xt is a little bigger than all x2AA lights AFAIK, but its beefy(only word to explain it)

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
RRT-0
Quark tactical R5
Nitecore SR3, but i think the 30% discount is gone

or RAW NS if you want to use it as keychain light as well. I've been edc'ing this little monster for a year and it still impresses me.

Last edited:

jefierro

Newly Enlightened
- 4Sevens Quark 123/2 Regular R5 (only considering this one cause it tail stands but probably wouldn't purchase over Tactical)
- NiteCore D20 R2 (like the design and variable brightness, have heard it's not as bright as others)
- JetBeam Jet I Pro V3 and Pro EX V3 (like the design, seems to have very good claimed output and range, not really sure about what brightness modes it has)
- Fenix PD30 (I feel the Quark out shines this one but it's still on the list)
- JetBeam Jet-III ST BVC (looks to be good size and performance ratio, haven't looked too much into it)

Buy them all, you now you want to :devil::devil:

JetBeam NiteCore, 4Sevens, Fenix all great brands, hard to pick one
I started with a D20, that thing is a tank, and bright enough to have to dim it so my eyes won't hurt. just love the fast access modes to brighter and dimer.

good luck with your quest.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd like to recommend the LF3XT with 2x AA tube..

only area it lacks in is throw, but makes up for it with the programmability/flexibility(ODP, Memory, voltage report, user defined levels/#of modes, etc.), and "beefiness".

great light but may not be for everyone.+ when I need a smaller light I just change the tube and throw in a 123battery.

Good advice. I've had mine over a year now and still see nothing else I'd rather have. I don't have the 2AA tube, but did get the clip.

Geoff

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Excellent!! So with that being said the 123^2 with the R5 element should throw up to my requirement? If someone can chime in on that, I've found my light.
I can't comment on the "throw" in practice because I don't have one but 150 feet shouldn't be a problem but actually getting your hands on that model torch and that "flat" turbo tailcap will be. A problem I mean. This is the note on the 4sevens website.......

"Due to the factory being closed for the national holiday, our Preon Titanium "Clicky" Tailcaps, Turbo Flat Tailcaps, and Quark 123-2 Tactical flashlights will not be arriving back in stock until early March. We are very sorry for the futher delay. These products were all scheduled to arrive before the holiday but simply could not make the tight deadline. We are continuing to push to try to get them in stock as soon as possible. Please bear with us a little longer, thank you!
We received a shipment in of several of our Quark models. All of the R5 Quark models are back in stock except the 123-2 Tactical and the AA Tactical. These will be back in stock in early March".

I've been waiting on availability of the 123-2 torch and the larger tailcap since christmas and the timeframe has blown out a couple of times already. Patience is a virtue and I'm not very virtuous so I've been considering ordering an eagletac P20C2 R5 instead.

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I just added the EagleTac P20C2 to my list, seems to be in the same size as most of the others I've looked at, and nice features.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I have the P20C2 R2 and it has spoiled me. ALL of my other lights look dim now. Amazing throw, incredibly bright, 3 well spaced levels, momentary on, and I think the new R5 version comes with a tailstand boot. I recommend it.

I would pick this up and an iTP A3 and have 2 very nice lights that serve different purposes for under your budget.

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
Really have my eyes on this EagleTac P20C2 and the Mk2 version. I have a few questions about it, the 5 lumen and 7 for the Mk2 is that low enough for tight darkly lit areas of a car without being blinded by the hot spot? It is on the larger scale of what I wanted to consider for an EDC but will the 1" head be an issue. Also how is EagleTac build quality, I'm pretty picky.

Oh yeah how did they design the head adjustment for the brightness is it an internal clicky mechanism or just un-threading the head a bit

AlphaZen

Enlightened
On the P20C2 you access the lowest mode by doing a quick twist forward and back on the head within about a second. This mode would be fine for dark areas of a car and definitely wouldn't be blinding. And if you need more light you can kick it up a notch...or two.

Normally, a loosened head is general mode and a tightened head is turbo mode. So, you can only start out in one of those modes - or so they say. However, if I do a quick turn of the head to activate the low mode before turning the light on, it will quickly ramp down to the low mode when turned on.

As far as build quality, I have had no issues. My only minor quibble was that in general mode the head would give a bit of play from the front of my hand when activating the clicky with my thumb. It wasn't an issue, but I didn't like the feel of it. I cleaned some of the lube off of the threads and now it feels solid.

I think it is an amazing little light, and for EDC purposes it would be fine in a holster, a jacket pocket or maybe a cargo pocket but is bigger than a traditional EDC light and isn't marketed as such. If you are wanting something to put in your front pocket of your pants then it would probably be uncomfortable. If you do go this route, I will once again recommend adding an iTP A3, which is so small you don't even notice you are carrying it, yet puts out a great deal of light when needed. It also has a very floody beam vs. the P20C2's more throwy beam. I own both and they compliment each other well.