LiteFlux LF2XT switch problem

Dark Photon

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone ! A good year of the Tiger for you all ! :twothumbs

I bought a Liteflux LF2XT last year as a present for someone else but I wind up with it instead. It is a great little unit. I used it for about 4 months before a problem with the switch developed. :sigh: Clean, firm single presses would end up with double or multiple click actions. This would happen for several clicks and then the unit will work fine for a while. If I click it again sometime later, the double/multiple click problem would happen again.

I cleaned and lubed the threads and all O-rings. I visually inspected the unit but noticed nothing usual. I took out the circuit board with the switch for inspection. Everything on it looks clean, neat and in good condition. The switch clicks fine with no unusual sounds or play with the button. After reassembly, I did a factory reset, programmed in my preferred settings again and proceeded to used it. It did not get worse but I noticed no improvement either.

The switching is normally set in "tactical" mode. The switching problem is such that "tactical" mode is no longer reliable. I disable it and have been using that way for ~ 2 months. The unwanted multiple clicks seem more frequent now. I did not keep a count but it seems like the time between "switch malfunction" is shorter.

Have anyone had similar experiences ? A switch problem (switch circuit board replacement) ? Software debouncing problem (but it was fine for ~ 3-4 months) ? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks !

KuKu427

Enlightened
Was the brass ring that secures the switch in the housing loose?

Dark Photon

Newly Enlightened
It was not loose when I first inspected it and was not loose in subsequent inspections. I just checked it again and it was not loose.

Other possible quick fixes ?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took out the circuit board with the switch for inspection. Everything on it looks clean, neat and in good condition. The switch clicks fine with no unusual sounds or play with the button. ...

You inspected the switch, but did you try cleaning it with alcohol or contact cleaner? Some "dirt" may not be visible.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
You inspected the switch, but did you try cleaning it with alcohol or contact cleaner? Some "dirt" may not be visible.

Right. Try to clean it with a contact cleaning stuff that is under pressure.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tail cap button housing ring (threaded part) must be VERY tight.

Also : Don't hold the button down for ANY amount of time.
It works from TAPS .... not presses ( it's a momentary , NON-latching Micro-switch).

Dark Photon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all the suggestions. Yes, work the switch like clicking a mouse. Except in "tactical" mode.

The switch is a self-contained electronic component. The push button acts as the mechanical link to the user. It is not possible to look inside the actual switch which it is not designed to be disassembled. I did try to wash the switch with alcohol while working it. The switch is being air dried by a fan. Let me use it for a day or 2 to see if this solves the problem.

Thanks again !

JohnF

Enlightened
Many users of the LF2XT have reported having switch problems until they get in the habit of quickly 'tapping' rather than trying to 'press' the switch firmly. .3 seconds isn't very long, and just a 'tap' is needed to turn on/off, change modes, etc.

John F

Dark Photon

Newly Enlightened
Let us not get too involved and heated with clicks and holds. The unit worked fine for ~ 4 months. Once I worked out what works as a click and what works as a hold, I was able to use it and program any mode without issue.

When I first used the unit, I spent more time sorting out the feedback flashes. I just expected the feedback process to complete quite a bit faster and did not wait long enough for before clicking again. :thinking: It took a number of tries before I clued in.

I am very happy to let everyone know that the alcohol wash worked so far. Since the problem was of the intermittent variety, I would give it a few more days of use to be sure.

I have to admit I am a bit surprised by how well it worked. I couldn't tell how much alcohol got into the switch and I certain could not see anything coming out. I thought the wash might give more clue but did not expect a complete fix so easily. The light is built in such a way that not much can get in to foul the switch. Perhaps it is something already in the switch loosened by use. In any case, I hope this IS the fix. :grin2:

Thank you for all the suggestions !

Dark Photon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the cleaning suggestions. Getting the switch drunk worked. So far so good. Even have it back in "tactical" mode again.