Home Mods on AA MiniMag with TLE-5EX

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
Anything else I can do to this light with stuff around the house to improve it any? I have one with stock tailcap and TLE-5EX dropin and one with a Nite-Ize IQ Switch and TLE-5EX dropin and i teflon taped the head so it stays on spot. Can you guys think of anything else?

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
I have numerous AA MiniMags (about a dozen at last count :thinking:) several of which have the TLE-5EX and also the 1 watt Niteize amongst other various upgrades. I also have Glass Lenses in most of my AA M'M's.

I have tried the Niteize IQ Tail Cap Switch and whilst in therory this is an excellent piece of kit, in the real world I found the IQ switch reduced the amount of output from all upgrades, various connectivity issues, always had other users stumped on how to use :shakehead and in general reduced the AA min mag to another "it is too hard to explain" to others how to use light. (As if I do not have enough other high end lights with all manner of UI to deal with :D)

I did really like the idea of the constant red emitter :caution: I some times install the IQ switch if I am lending the lights to children, I can then find them again in the dark (the kids and the lights :sssh:).

With the TLE-5EX in a MiniMag in standard form it is a bullet proof, bright, long run time piece of idiot proof equipment. Just keep all the contacts clean (with alcohol) keep the O-rings and threads lubed and in good condition. If the switch assy has had a long and ilustrious career I also recomend replacing (easy once you know how) also replace the old scratched plastic lense with new or glass lense and you will be GTG :)

Use quality batts, either Lithiums or NiMH, generally I use Eneloops.

I have a couple with my details "etched" into them which I regularly loan out to the numerous people I work with in the field who inevitably arrive with a incandesant standard AA M'M' with crappy batts :sick: They always come back with a request to upgrade their own lights (or I then introduce them to some of my "other lights" but that is another story LOL)