Help me out: Recommendations on daily carry tactical light. Olight M21 the best?

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
I've been away from the recent updates in lights for many months, happily carrying my Fenix T1 (yes, I'm an old timer) for what seemed like almost two years until it's switch finally gave up the ghost and then a NiteCore Defender Infinity which has failed about sixteen ways from Sunday after less than five months of daily carry. (Argh!)

I'm looking for a new daily carry, with something about the size of the TK1 being as big as I want to carry. I'd like 250 lumens minimum, CR123s for power, and a momentary "on" switch in addition to the forward clickie. Dependability is very important as is durability. I like to clip the light on the inside of my pocket... "holsters" aren't compatible with my current EDC gun carrying rig.

I've been looking hard at the Olight M21 Warrior. Before I pull the trigger on it - especially as it's $125ish, I was looking for some advice from old-timers here that have powerful EDC lights. Is there something better than the M21?

Thanks in advance.

John

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
The only thing I think you might not like about the Olight M21 is that it is fairly floody due to the huge LED it needs to use to get that 500 lumen output. I don't know if throw is something that you find extremely necessary however.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
The only thing I think you might not like about the Olight M21 is that it is fairly floody due to the huge LED it needs to use to get that 500 lumen output. I don't know if throw is something that you find extremely necessary however.

I'd rather have slightly floody as it is more forgiving of minor pointing errors when you want to blind someone in an adversarial instance.

I've picked up a few lights in the past with beams that were too darn tight to be very effective as tactical lights.

So, as long as the M21's beam is a bit tighter than the old Sure-Fire 6P, I'll be happy and it'll serve my needs well.

Thanks Carrot.

John

Brigadier

Enlightened
Take a look at the Jet-III M. You can have it set to high for tactical use, then if you need something at a lower level, a simple twist of the head for the user selectable level.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I had the Olight. I liked it and it seemed durable. But the 500 lumens is wishful thinking. I would estimate low 300 OTF. Also, it is more if a floody light which is good for some but I would like somthing with a little more throw. Also, the beam was a little on the cool side for my tastes. Not terrible, but certainly on the cool side. The new EagleTac models are getting good reviews. I had a t20c2 first gen. and thought it was great except for the too easy to activate strobe. The new model puts out 50 or 60 more lumens than the first gen. but it has less throw and more flood than the original. Most of the reviews so far, this doesn't seem to be an issue. People seem to like the beam profile, love the big bright spot and flood and feel there is enough throw. I think is probably has similar output and beam profile as the M21 but will save you $40 or so And has a more neutral beam.
I would also personaly take a good look at the Jetbeam RRT-0. Amazing output and throw for it's size.

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
The M21 is hard to beat at that price point. Mattk tested the output @ ~370 lumens if i can recall correctly, could of been 360. There is no way this light is low 300s. With tac lights, they don't need to throw 150 meters, if your in a tactical position it will be short range. It's built solid with great ergonomics. You have to ask yourself if you need a tactical light.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
The M21 is hard to beat at that price point. Mattk tested the output @ ~370 lumens if i can recall correctly, could of been 360. There is no way this light is low 300s. With tac lights, they don't need to throw 150 meters, if your in a tactical position it will be short range. It's built solid with great ergonomics. You have to ask yourself if you need a tactical light.

Matt came up with an estimated 350 lumens with his lightbox test. So perhaps I was off 20 or so. I was guessing around 325. Pretty close to my estimated low 300's. Pretty damn close to the EagleTac output I might add. As for a "tactical" light, most I have talked to prefer a tight bright hotspot and a smaller flood. Not because of the higher throw but to put a more blinding light on the subject and the smaller more dim flood(comparatively speaking) to cut down on the blinding reflected light to the user. Ever take an Olight M30 and shine it down a white hallway when your eyes are accustomed to the dark. You become blinded nearly as much.

Last edited:

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
Ever take an Olight M30 and shine it down a white hallway when your eyes are accustomed to the dark. You become blinded nearly as much.

That's why we firearms trainers generally recommend 60 lumens, give or take a few, for interior building searches, especially at night.

Some departments around me even issue officers red lenses to further attenuate a 60-lumen beam for night-time searches. Bright enough to obscure the good guy, but dim enough that they don't lose their "night vision" or illuminate themselves.

I like the brighter settings for outdoor night-time use. Nothing rocks a BG back on his heels than 200+ lumens out of the blue. It's like a "free pass" for you to do with them as you wish for about a second or two, plenty long to put them on the ground or into a compliance hold... John

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
I have an M21 and like it very much - very floody though....

You also couldn't go wrong with the Jetbeam Jet III - M, or Jet RRT-0 Raptor mentioned above - both great lights...

Good luck!