Fenix TK12ex vs 4Sevens 123 Turbo

Sk2

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I choose a new flashlights, has stopped on Fenix TK12ex and 4Sevens 123 Turbo +Quark 18650 Spare Body. I wish to use for a gun of 12 calibres and Outdoor. What to choose? Thanks!

carrot

Flashaholic
I haven't handled the TK12 but I do have a TK10. I definitely like the Quark Turbo 123 better. The TK10 feels cheap, whereas the Turbo feels like a nicer light, with better build quality. Also the TK12 is hideous. The Turbo is a sweet light.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having had both lights I would respectfully say the exact opposite. The TK12 is the much more solid feeling light. It gives you more choices of levels quickly than just 2 with the 123 turbo (high and whatever you set up) It is as bright and has decent regulation with an 18650. I would choose it hands down over the 123ax2 turbo...although the turbo is still a great light.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
If your "outdoor" use includes using it outside wearing gloves you might want to consider that in your decision. The TK12 is a thick bodied light which is fairly easy to hold and to operate wearing gloves.

I'm not saying the turbo is necessarily hard to operate wearing gloves, but personally I favour a thicker light when in gloves.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't handled the TK12 but I do have a TK10. I definitely like the Quark Turbo 123 better. The TK10 feels cheap, whereas the Turbo feels like a nicer light, with better build quality. Also the TK12 is hideous. The Turbo is a sweet light.

I have TK10 and becomes very surprised about that opinion. I can see nothing close to cheap feeling with this light, according to reviews and many flashoholic's opinions TK10 is one of the most robust flashlights at the market. If I don't recall wrong placed on the same level as Surefire.

Regards, Patric

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know what it is, but when you put it side by side with a Surefire C2 it is, 1) unnecessarily bulky, 2) poorly designed, and 3) feels heavy but cheap. Just my opinion.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot,

I have never hold in a Surefire so I cannot personally give an opinion about it. I just thought it sounded like such a strong exaggeration to mention TK10 as having a cheap feeling. Just never seen anyone expressed something like that before, instead it has always been the opposite.

Regards, Patric

carrot

Flashaholic
I guess I have to defend my honor here.

I think it feels cheap because of the feel when I thread parts on. The individual parts do not feel solid until threaded together. The clicky switch is thin and does not seem robust enough for a light as hefty as this. The clip is poorly designed. The threaded "grip ring" is nearly unusable, being too sharp to comfortably hold and too small to use effectively as a grip ring. The crenellations on the tailcap are poorly thought out. You are as equally likely to jab your thumb as to activate the light. You don't even get the benefit of tailstanding. The pocket clip is cheap stamped metal and too small to actually use. The knurling is shallow and useless, and the strobing when the batteries are "low" makes me question the regulator. I have seen none of these issues on any of my Surefires, customs, or even the Quark Turbo or my brand new Olight. Whether or not the TK12 addresses my concerns I have not bothered to find out. Perhaps the TK12 is better. All of these concerns are just observations. I am not an engineer and I have no idea whether Fenix knows far more than I do and makes better tactical lights than I give them credit for. However, as I have plenty examples of lights that do not feel cheap or have terrible usability issues, I feel comfortable in saying that others are doing something Fenix is not.

I am aware that people believe heavy means quality and toughness, all over the world but especially so in China where the TK10 is designed. Actually heavy means only one thing, that it's heavy.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Carrot for your detailed points who indeed are very interesting and worth to think about!
Now I understand better what you mean.:thumbsup:

Best regards, Patric

Sk2

Newly Enlightened
lovecpfAll have more than thanks! Has decided to buy 4Sevens+body 18650. I think that I will not regret.lovecpf

Sk2

Newly Enlightened
Which light is that one? The only lights that seems to use the 18650 are some of the Fenix.
Thanks Dave
Dave,
Excuse, I not so well understand in English. I have not understood a question.