Maglite LED Question

Nikos

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased 2 new maglite LED flashlights, I never had LED lights before. I purchased a 2D Cell LED and a 4D cell LED by Maglite. As crazy as this sounds, the 2D Cell LED seems brighter than the 4D LED. The only difference I can find, other than the battery count is in the bulb. The 2D LED has a fixed LED bulb and the 4D Cell LED has a bulb that can be changed.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I am not sure if it is a problem or just the way the lights are made.

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4 D cell Maglite uses an older Luxeon III LED while the newer model uses the Luxeon Rebel LED. The Rebel LED is much brighter than the older Luxeon III LED. Mag Instrument discontinued the 4 D cell LED Maglite when they started using the Rebel LED. Now the largest LED Maglite that you can buy is the 3 D size.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4D is bulkier, and also a discontinued model. The LED drop-in has heatsinking problems as well, so unless you're planning on modding the light and want to change out the reflector, I would return it (the newer fixed-LED models have a different reflector). If you want a larger light, the 3D would be a better choice.

The current models are the 2D and 3D with the Luxeon Rebel LED, of which the 2D is slightly brighter. The 3D does have much longer runtime, and I went with the 3D (well, actually didn't have a choice...the Costco 2-pack is a 2AA and 3D for $24.99).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
both are not very bright - when it comes to what an actual led can do
--> bad heatsinking

get something like an Olight 2AA, Fenix LD20, ..., instead of the Mag 2AA
thats another world: multilevel, machining, brightness, no accidental switching on, ..., and they are also shorter (imho the magled AA are unnecessary long)

McAllan

Enlightened
you state that like it's real easy to get one...it isn't.

Well. If you're a bit of a DIY type and either have a lathe (then you've probably got the idea yourself) or know a friend or family etc. with one. Then a DIY malkoff copy would be an ideal starter project under supervision of a trained person.
A piece of brass or aluminum and a driver and emitter from DX/KD and You're on your way. If you have a bit attention to the details you also mount the driver board and a way so that is heat sinked too (remember something isolation as the drivers are designed to be used otherwise.

Yeah, probably not as good as an original since most likely a bit lower driver efficiency and you can't really be absolutely sure of bin code of LED. But would certainly not be bad either. The Mags reflector will do a good job.

Nikos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the good information. I am new to LED lights and did not understand what I have. Perhaps I will keep the 4 Cell as a collectors item, but it is opened.
I hope Maglite will make the 4 Cell with the newer LED, that might be really great to have.