What we bought and how they compare

Epic Win

Newly Enlightened
My A2 hasn't arrived yet from the ebay seller...but in the meantime I've channelled my frustration towards buying a Zebralight 501w and convinced my friend to buy a Maglite LED combo from Costco (Mini and Maglite 3xD cells. I sometimes wish it was 34D ).

The Zebralight cost us $59 online, and Maglite $29.99 at Costco. Here's my novice n00b impression.

1. The Zebralight won me over. Most convenient. Warm tint. Clip it to your pocket and walk around. As a headlamp, very light. Only complain: the clip seems asymmetrical.

2. Maglite: just wow....good for short trips through not-safe neighbourhoods. Doubles up as a baton. Focussing beam that goes to infinity. I read somewhere that it can be modded (Roar of the Phoenix/Pelican?)

3. Maglite Mini: Nice small light (we got the silver version)

Overall damage: $105 (for A2) + $59 for ZL + My friend's $29.99 Maglite

We bought the Maglite after considering another "Tactical" flashlight that was on display right next to it. Price was $14.99 and label said the likes of "imported by Costco from China". Takes AAA batteries. My friend however was subdued by the weapon aspect of Maglite. I look forward to hearing from other CPF members too on what you have to say/or alternatives. For $30, the Maglite doesn't see too bad.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
any better 1*18650 light smokes the Mag (both),
any better 2*AA light smokes both Mag
... and they usually offer multilevel, too
... and they are with You (who really wants to tote a D-cell light around? Seriously?)

4Sevens Quark, Fenix, Jetbeam, 6P 18650 w. insert, all good quality/price ratio ...

PS: have all lights run for 15 mins, then compare again. When they all have dramatically dropped in output, while the ZL should still be at the same output than when starting.
(Mag overheat, the 3 AAA direct drive gone down from initial output)

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest generation LED Maglites with the Luxeon Rebel LEDs in them, like the D cell one you bought at Costco, cannot be modified as easily as the first generation LED Maglites with the Luxeon III LEDs in them. At least, people here on CPF haven't modified them much because the older LED (and incandescent) models have countless modification parts available for them. Mag Instrument made some internal changes when they came out with the Luxeon Rebel LED models so that most of those parts won't work or at least won't work as easily as in the older models.

Time will tell if the newest LED Maglites can be modified, but why bother when there are tons of the older models still out there just waiting to be hopped up?

Good thing you passed up on the two pack of Costco "tactical" lights. I'm assuming that you're referring to the ones that are currently on sale for $5 off and are each powered by 3 AAA batteries. They are labeled as Techlite Lumen Master, catalog number 406343. Those have gotten terrible reviews here on CPF because they have an incredibly high parasitic battery drain that can kill band new batteries in about a week. My parents bought a pack hoping that they would be good emergency lights for around the house, but after I told them about the lousy reviews of them here on CPF, back they go to Costco. Thank goodness they didn't open the package as soon as they got home with them!

Last edited: