Anybody own an sr90 AND a DEFT?

Votekinky06

Newly Enlightened
I know there are alot of options and variables, but to put it as simply as possible, I want an LED light with MAXIMUM throw. I don't care about flood, and these are the two that seem to stand out, but I haven't been able to find a comparison.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
I don't currently own either but just ordered the SR90 fron goinggear.com. I own Olights and have had no problems with then at all. the SR90 was the obvious choice for me. I think it will be hard to beat!!!

chenko

Enlightened
Those are completely different things... :shrug: have you considered the size difference of those (not that it's the only difference, but it's the most obvious)? I mean, the SR-90 is kind of huge. :eek:oo:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aren't they in the same ballpark (other than size) if you are interested in throw?

Suppose one person lives on a farm and wants to see a car as it leaves the road and turns onto his property. Maybe the DEFT would be good.

Suppose this same person would like to be able to illuminate several small farm buildings spread out across his property from his house at night just to see if anything is going on there. Maybe the SR90 would be preferred with its larger beam.

In a comparison wouldn't the DEFT throw just a little bit further but wouldn't the SR90 also throw far (maybe far enough) and illuminate a greater spot at that distance?

Votekinky06

Newly Enlightened
Size is really a non issue for me as long as it is a handheld flashlight, and I'm sure I'll end up with both, but these purchases will have to be several months apart so I want to get the longest throw first. :thumbsup:

camaro09

Enlightened
I can try to give my .02 cents. I have not owned a DEFT ( although I would love to) but have owned a Tiablo A9 with an aspherical head. Not as bright as the DEFT or as good of throw but some what close. And I have owned a Maglite with MOP metal reflector and SST-90 made by nailbender putting out 1450 actual lumens, where as the Tiablo puts out maybe 180-200 actual lumens.

There is alot to consider in terms of how a light throws. Yes the SST-90 throws light along ways but also lights up a large area around the hotspot. That is simply because of the sheer huge amount of light it puts out. It is a huge die but doesent have great surface brightness where as something like the DEFT is a smaller chip but whats there is brighter, or atleast thats how I understand it. Also your comparing a reflector to an ashperic lens whos job is to gather the light and project it in a lazer like manner. My SST-90 Maglite build could put light on trees at I would guess 200 yards but it also lit the whole field, the DEFT will light things around a half mile I believe but it will only light one small area. Hope that helps at alll.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest saving your money on both of them and just get an HID spotlight instead. When you want to throw a beam a very far distance and not break the bank in doing so, a 12 V HID spotlight is tough to beat.

I compared the DEFT to my HID spotlight and while the DEFT was impressive in terms of throw for an LED light, its beam pattern was so tight that, at least for my use, it was pretty much useless. LEDs are just not great throwers compared to incandescents and though they can be made to throw via various lenses like what's on the DEFT, that throw comes with too much of a compromise in terms of the usefulness of the light.

It's probably just me, but I don't buy LED lights when I need to illuminate far objects. They're just not cost effective compared to other options out there.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there are alot of options and variables, but to put it as simply as possible, I want an LED light with MAXIMUM throw. I don't care about flood, and these are the two that seem to stand out, but I haven't been able to find a comparison.
The DEFT has over twice the lux as the SR90. Not really all that close in that sense. It is also a fraction of the weight. But If you need to see closer than 300 feet or so then something other than the DEFT would be advisable. It is designed to maximize throw in a long running LED format that does not weigh a ton. To accomplish this it requires very efficient use of the lumens created. That means it cannot afford to have light wasted shooting off to the sides when that will not add to the throw. So the beam is very concentrated. As the distances increase the beam grows due to divergence and the field of view gets larger and larger.

camaro09

Enlightened
In this thread the SR90's lux was listed as 112600 at 1 meter.

Is the DEFT really over twice this lux?

I always thought it was approximately 150000 at 1 meter, which is not even 1.5 times as much.

Hmmm thats what the numbers look like huh? It would be interesting to see beamshots directly comparing the two side by side. Interesting! :thinking:

Votekinky06

Newly Enlightened
The more I look the more it's starting to look like an M1X for general use (walking the dogs, etc) and DEFT for "fun", and an extra $100 in my pocket to buy the fiancé dinner and some roses when she sees me walk through the door with two new flashlights...

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both remarkable flashlights. I know the deft ftp throws farther and is signifantly smaller than the sr90 but if you want throw and a lot of spill i think the sr90 would be a better choice. Also i think you would be pleased to own both of these lights. I really enjoy them both and you cannot go wrong with either or BOTH.lovecpf:kiss:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this thread the SR90's lux was listed as 112600 at 1 meter.

Is the DEFT really over twice this lux?

I always thought it was approximately 150000 at 1 meter, which is not even 1.5 times as much.
Hmm... i remember seeing someone else here mention a figure of around 60Klux for the SR90. Have you seen a review yet by any of the known reviewers? Information still seems to be a little light on the ground for this one. It would be real nice to have a full review done on it.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
but SR90 beam will be much more useful.

how so? the flood of the SR90 will contract your pupils, making the spot "dimmer" to the eye.

If you're looking for a light for spotting things in the distance, the DEFT is superior to the SR90.

easilyled

Flashaholic
how so? the flood of the SR90 will contract your pupils, making the spot "dimmer" to the eye.

If you're looking for a light for spotting things in the distance, the DEFT is superior to the SR90.

I think it may be more useful in many situations to see the surroundings of a target rather than just the target itself.

If someone is drowning, for instance, or in other rescue operations, it is necessary to have some information about the surrounding terrain as well as the target.

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
I am suprised no one on here has done a full review of the SR90 yet.

SELFBUILT where are you :thinking: :popcorn:

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
I am sure HKJ will do a review and post it in a short while. He should have his SR90.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have Tiablo A9 with aspherical lens. So I know how fun it is to use a light with such a laser-like beam. But SR90 has massive hotspot and still incredible throw. It lights up much wider area in the distance. So it is much more useful.

Hmm... i remember seeing someone else here mention a figure of around 60Klux for the SR90.

You will get arounf 60k lux when measuring from 1 meter. But to measure a correct value for such a big light, you need to take measurement at least from 3 meters.

olightsr90intensity.png

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it depends on the distances involved.
with a searchlight, we're talking about pretty long distances, right? the ST90 will limit how far you can see -- counterintuitive to what you want in a searchlight.