Question on M3T and M6 heads

JoeyL

Enlightened
Hi folks!

I have a question for you lucky guys that have an M3Turbo and an M6: Are the heads the same?
I want to place an MN21 500 lumen lamp in an
M3Turbo head with an alternate power supply.
I don't know if the lamps have different sized necks or if they are interchangeable.

This is for a mod in the sake of just being able to do it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

They are the same. The MN21 is a 9volt lamp for use in the M6, I don't think 3 cells can power it. The M6 uses 6 cells, 2 seperate 3 cell comparments for 9Volt output so it has alot more amps to drive the MN21.

What alternative power source are you going to use?

You can use the M3 lamps in the M6 with 3 dummy batteries or 3 batteries in the right slots. You'll have to use the M3 head with the M6 body to do that.

I've put the KL2 made for the M3 on the M6 and it looks sufficiently different/weird. Maybe I just got used to the Turbo Head on the M6.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Surefire M6:

You can use the M3 lamps in the M6 with 3 dummy batteries or 3 batteries in the right slots.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">NOOOO!!!
shocked.gif
smile.gif

Don't put dummy cells in the M6! This will cause a direct short and rain on your parade!

You can remove 3 (correct) cells and use M3T lamps, but using dummies in it will put the dummies in parallel with the real cells, causing a direct short.

Unless of course, your dummy cells are not conductive, in that case dummies are ok.
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Oh thats right! Duh, it's parallel setup. Thanks for correcting me Sean. I was thinking series setup.

JoeyL

Enlightened
Thanks for the info!
I have sucessfully used a 7.2 volt NiMH rechargeable pack to power a 225 lumen MN11 lamp in a M3 head. Boy is it bright! And it runs at good brightness for over an hour.

This is not underpowering it. The voltage drop with lithiums is more than with the big sub c size NiMHs and the current draw is comparable to the amount Brock listed on his flashlight page.

So my next project is to try an MN 21. I figure I need the turbo head for this lamp. The M3 head with the 225 l. lamp and 7.2v. battery gets boiling hot after 20 minutes or so. I figure the 500 l. lamp will really overheat.

Thanks for the info.