I bought a Surefire yesterday.

fyrstormer

Banned
E1L Outdoorsman, 60 lumens. It's going to be modded eventually, but I wanted to see how it worked in stock form. My first thought was "wow, this thing has like no power at all." However, my second thought when I took it outside was "wow, for such a weak light, it sure can throw far." It's interesting that they'd favor excellent optics over high power; kinda the opposite of what most of the other players are doing.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Is it 60 lumens or 45 lumens? In any case, it's always been a low output light, which isn't bad. They offer the E1B which has more output, or the two cell models like the E2D and LX2 if you're looking for a bit more light output.

fyrstormer

Banned
I really only bought it for the olive-drab anodized shell, so I'm not too concerned about its brightness right now.

I can appreciate having it designed with such good optics that it can throw as far as my Arc6 on probably a quarter of the power, but I'm used to floodier beams so it was a bit of an adjustment to think in terms of pointing it directly at what I wanted to see instead of illuminating everything in the general vicinity.

I gotta say, nothing feels as good against titanium threads as hard-anodized aluminum. Even as much as titanium likes to gall, the anodizing is so much more hard and slippery that it actually polishes the titanium threads, even with just a couple drops of light machine oil as lube.

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably it´s the 2 mode version: 45 lumens on high, 3 lumens on low.

Next week I´ll gonna buy one for me! :devil:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The KX1 head on the upcoming AA E2L Outdoorsman is going to be rated at 80 lumens with high and low modes. Makes me think that the newer E1L's may be getting a big jump in output.

Bill

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill

Newer E1L? Do you heard something about that? Do you think now it isn´t a good time to buy one E1L?

Thanks!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Actually, as you know, the KX1 is the head for the E1L body, so it looks like they are upgrading the KX1 head. I saw the AA LED Outdoorsman at SHOT, and the head was stamped KX1. So, at some point, the E1L should have that same KX1 head.

Bill

radu1976

Enlightened
Maybe it's just a readjustment of the lumens like they did it for the E2DL : 200 lumens instead of 120 initial lumens stated !
So the newer 60 lumens E1L would be the same with the old 45 lumens version :shrug:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KX1 head on the upcoming AA E2L Outdoorsman is going to be rated at 80 lumens with high and low modes. Makes me think that the newer E1L's may be getting a big jump in output.

Bill

Given the nature of the E1L Outdoorsman, I kind of hope they don't increase brightness. I'd rather see the E1L remain about the same output wise, but use the efficiency agains of new emitters to increase runtime instead.

-Robert